Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: aspex

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    This one presses right on the bridge, so it has that convenience. So the magnet problem is solved.
    Those appear to go on the bridge like silhouettes. Almost everyone who bought a silhouette clip from me hates it. Very difficult to get on and off.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Those appear to go on the bridge like silhouettes. Almost everyone who bought a silhouette clip from me hates it. Very difficult to get on and off.
    Nooo, trust me. These are not anywhere like those horrible things from silhouette.

Far easier to use. I can do it with one hand.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    Hi guys and gals!! :)
    how big is the magnet? It gets imbedded in the lens, right? I just wonder how distracting the magnet is to the pt and to the person looking at the pt. I'd love to hear more about it...

Our lab does those clips with the magnets imbedded in the lens. I didn't want to carry them as I thought they looked kind of dumb with a dot on the lens. And then I was told "for the ladies we can put a jewel on it". Oh joy, even worse. I found it very distracting to look at and I can't imagine wearing it but if it sells go for it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Nightmare, imo. FYI - I have never used the system, but I could just see the problems.

- First, you have to use poly or trivex, or the lens will most likely chip. So that adds to the cost.
    - Will the magnets pop out?
    - Some people may like the look, but I argue that most will not.

So when it comes down to it, we have to ask ourselves why people like clips and magnetic clips. Convenience and price. I bet with extra costs of drilling and lens material, this job would be pricey compared to other clips.

ones, and even for less than magnetic clip ons.

-You can use any material except plutonium.
    -The magnets will pop out and your pets will eat them, which leads me to my next pitch: "The FezzJohn-matic Magnetic Pooper Scooper"
    -Actually nobody likes the way they look. We just happen to be exceptional sales people.

Since Obama won the election, they are allowing drilling in many places that use to be off limits, so the price has actually gone down.

We recycle old lenses out of the Lions Club box, which makes them really affordable.

And yes, the cost is very high. I think we make about 19 cents per job, but we expect to make it up in volume!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Johns, Clear your danged PM box so that I can send you a message !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, it got clogged w/ orders for the pooper scoopers!

Try it now!:cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Our lab does those clips with the magnets imbedded in the lens. I didn't want to carry them as I thought they looked kind of dumb with a dot on the lens. And then I was told "for the ladies we can put a jewel on it". Oh joy, even worse. I found it very distracting to look at and I can't imagine wearing it but if it sells go for it.
    I guess some guys will like the jewels too

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    They are less distracting than the grommets on a drill-mount, and as you said, they are one a "dot".

What I really like about them is that they are like a polarized "skin" that fits snugly on the lens, as opposed to the magentics that attach to the frames that have a gap, allow light between them, and rattle when you walk.

They may not be the product for you feel comfortable selling in your market, but having been to Heather's store, I know they would definitely fit in with her clientelle.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Idea Answering your questions

Actually it's not a nightmare at all.

Only 15% of patients opt for the second pair, so offering a system that actually works allows you to capture additional revenue for the rest of the 85%.

Chemistrie Lens Layering is base curve matched so it fits the RX lens with no scratching or rubbing. It is not a clip and it is not just for sunwear. That's why this system was created because clip ons suck and have major problems.

This eliminates problems that retailers and labs had in trying to "fit" a pre-made clip to a Actually it's not a nightmare at all.

Only 15% of patients opt for the second pair, so offering a system that actually works allows you to capture additional revenue for the rest of the 85%.

Chemistrie Lens Layering is base curve matched so it fits the RX lens with no scratching or rubbing. You do not have to realign or adjust after it is made because the layer is cut with the lens pattern of the RX lens. It's seamless.

When the magnets are input into the lens properly they do not come out. With the drill mount process used you WILL NOT be creating side wall pressure. Plus if you are using the proper equipment for drilling you won't have chipping. I find it amusing that the same people (:hammer:) saying don't drill into the lens are the same people selling 3 piece frames. It's the same concept and technology.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just got my sample this a.m. Gotta admit, it looks pretty hot!

These magnets are wafer-thin, and do not protrude from the surface of the lens.

They are slightly larger than the head of a screw...smaller than I expected. Looks like a gray "dot" more than a magnet.

Obviously, you'd have an issue with the occasional person, but no more so than the hardware for a rimless mount. I could NOT see them peripherally in the largeish rectangle sample pair.

Adherence of the clip-on is excellent. Virtually zero clearance between lenses.

I'm totally sold, if the optical lab is skilled at doing these properly and they hold up. It would revolutionize magnetic eyewear. Dump your Aspex stock.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Dump your Aspex stock.

Done deal.

Occupation

confusing?

There are a lot of misconceptions about Chemistrie Sunlenses. How do some retailers sell them for 170 or even 250 each??? They don't refer to them as "Clip-ons" They are hand-made by skilled craftsmen using very expensive digital edging and drilling machines. They are as custom for a patient as their progressive lens, their frame, their shape, their color, their base curve....

Standard Clip ons are mass-produced. They are commodity products made in China by the boatload.

Chemistrie Sunlenses are Japanese Polarized Lenses, and are manufactured into Sunlenses inside the USA by Chemistrie Certified Laboratories.

Do some people dislike a 'dot' in their lens? Yes. These are the same people who complain about seeing their nose-pad arm or don't wear Silhouettes because the temple goes 5mm into the lens. Is Rimless hardware in the lens is very common these days?? Others say they like the dot, it is a conversation starter, and brings more attention to their frames. When the patient asks hey doctor, what is that dot in your lens? Then the doc demos it...the patient asks,,, can I get that too???? if you can get the patient to ask the question, you've made the sale.

I often get the question, what problems do Chemistrie Sunlenses solve?

1. Base curve matched to the RX, preventing glare, and rubbing/scratching.
    2. Rigid Bridge and flexible lenses do not need constant repeat adjustments.
    3. Eyewire clip lenses shrink and fall out, Chemistrie are drillled rimless
    4. Eyewire Clip lenses with prongs, browbars are heavy, Chemistrie is 1 gram.
    5. Chem has a choice of color, other clips have the colors set
    6. Magnetic-Clip and Frame sets fit 4% of the frames in existence, none of which are luxury or designers....Chemistrie is 100% of all frames (except swissflex due to being glued together)
    7. No pressure between RX lens and Magnet, so compatible with ANY lens material (except glass and acrylic)
    8. Ready Made Frame and Clip sets, are money-out-of-pocket, sitting on the shelf collecting dust, and don't make money until they are sold. Chemistrie eliminates the need to stock product and can be ordered from the lab, just like AR coating.
    9. Costs less than all the other custom clip products, about the same as Crizal Avance.

Is it for everybody? no....But dont take my word for it... those who sell it can attest... It eliminates the problems found in earlier clip designs.
    Last edited by basecurved; 03-31-2009 at 04:26 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice Nikki McGee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had carried Elite/EyeCon/Alternative and had mixed results. As of late there is no stock available, eternal back orders and outstandingly terrible customer service. I have worked with Revolution in the past, good selection (not sure what they have changed that in the last couple years) but nothing amazing in style or quality.
    We are now using a few Flexon clip-ons and some in the CK and Nautica lines as well- not bad, but not amazing.
    We are currently working with OKo Custom Clips- they have a nice system to be made to fit any frame- after Rx lenses are inserted and match the color of the hardware to the frame. Good stuff.
    ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    NO!!!!

Matter of fact, I am so irritated with Revolution that I could just about scream.
    I had 3 patients walk in one day with new, but broken, Revolutions frames. Nice looks (nice models at VE too) but crappy quality.

Sharpstick

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Curious, what law suit in Ohio?????????
    Last edited by midohioeye; 04-02-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by midohioeye View Post
    Curious, what law suit in Ohio?????????
    \

Ask the rep...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Aspex Eyewear, Inc. v. Robert Heynen

Aspex Eyewear, Inc. v. Robert Heynen

Lawsuit Details

RFC Case Number:P-A09-1507RCourt Case Number:1:09-cv-01507File Date:Tuesday, March 10, 2009Plaintiff:Aspex Eyewear, Inc.
    Plaintiff Counsel: Thomas I. Ross, Mark H. Izraelewicz of Marshall Gerstein & Borun LLP
    Defendant:Robert Heynen
    Cause:35:271 Patent InfringementCourt:Illinois Northern District CourtJudge: Honorable James B. Zagel
    Notes:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Lawsuit Details

RFC Case Number:P-A09-1507RCourt Case Number:1:09-cv-01507File Date:Tuesday, March 10, 2009Plaintiff:Aspex Eyewear, Inc.
    Plaintiff Counsel: Thomas I. Ross, Mark H. Izraelewicz of Marshall Gerstein & Borun LLP
    Cause:35:271 Patent InfringementCourt:Illinois Northern District CourtJudge: Honorable James B. Zagel
    Notes:

That's in Ill., but there's another one that does not deal with patents going on in Ohio.

Ask your rep...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm interested. If you don't want to post, can you send me a PM?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Double View Post
    I'm interested. If you don't want to post, can you send me a PM?
    PM sent, but I should clarify that it's a suit between the company and the rep, and probably has no bearing on how business is done in Ohio, unless your are a sales rep. I don't think that these types of suits are all that uncommon in our business.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Lawsuit Details

Notes:

If you read the complaint @ http://207.41.16.133/rfcViewFile/09cv1507comp.pdf this is a huge waste of money on Aspex part (In my uneducated view (as not to be also sued)). If any of us who are buyers for our companies know we are influenced by more then a flier alegitly pass out by him. I for one thing don’t buy from Aspex’s do to there price to quality. As I seen here on Optiboards the discussed that Aspex’s does sell there product to Wal-Mart, that’s what there in business to do is sell there product. I don’t think anyone is premenitly damaged as stated in the complaint and should be settled with a hand slap not a federal court case.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alternative Eyewear took over Elite, they have the Smart Clip, Clip Tech and they are really nice looking. I've been doing good with those.:)

Thread Information