Thread: New to the forum.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

New to the forum.

Hi,
    My name is Chris Delgado. I am 21 years old.
    I am an uncertified optician at walmart vision center in San antonio, TX. I am just working there while I go to school. I think I am going to lurk here on these forums to absorb some new information about lenses and what not. I thought about getting certified but I am not going to use this as my life long career but I also like learning about it and helping people. As for working for walmart I am sure you know that there are alot of uninformed people that cant have anything stick to their head if their life counted on it. Although there are a sharp people every now and then.

I wanted to come here to have more of an understanding. I have almost 2 years of optical field. I had 1 year at Sam's Club 6 months at lenscraftrs. and 4 months at walmart right now. It is close to my house, less stress, good pay. Just while I go to school but I wanted to look for an optical forum to further my knowledge. I am not sure if I do want to get ABO or NCLE certified. I am not sure if it is worth my time while I go to school. But we shall see.

Glad to have found this forum and I will see what I can learn from everyone here.
    Just reading a couple of threads it seems like everyone here are knowledgeable people.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard Delga!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Delgadido View Post
    Hi,

Glad to have found this forum and I will see what I can learn from everyone here.
    You came to the right place to learn......

Quote Originally Posted by Delgadido View Post
    Just reading a couple of threads it seems like everyone here are knowledgeable people.
    not everyone .................:D

Just kidding, welcome and enjoy the stay. I know I am.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome! If I were you, even though you may not stay in the optical field, I would at least get the ABO certification, especially since Wal-Mart will reimburse you for it and you will get a raise! We could all probably use a few more pennies in the bank right now, right? If you get and KEEP your ABO certification current, you will NEVER be without a job. A friend of mine works as a Surg. Tech full time and makes really good money but works some nights and weekends as an Optician just for extra easy money. If you can get a college education, you should be able to pass the ABO with just a little studying. If you ever need any help or info, just call me at Wal-Mart Store 2739.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Senorwes1 View Post
    Welcome! If I were you, even though you may not stay in the optical field, I would at least get the ABO certification, especially since Wal-Mart will reimburse you for it and you will get a raise! We could all probably use a few more pennies in the bank right now, right? If you get and KEEP your ABO certification current, you will NEVER be without a job. A friend of mine works as a Surg. Tech full time and makes really good money but works some nights and weekends as an Optician just for extra easy money. If you can get a college education, you should be able to pass the ABO with just a little studying. If you ever need any help or info, just call me at Wal-Mart Store 2739.
    problem with it is in Texas you dont need to be licensed to be an optician. i started off here at 980. my manager maxed out my raise cause at sam's i was paying 10. there is no way to make it higher but i may transfer to sams for another 80 cent raise.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Welcome................

Welcome to OptiBoard..............and I like your approach to life, earning some money while studying. You will be able to pick up some good ideas here.

Thread Information