Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Seen it

Used it

Cool!

Barry
    The "At Last" lens...or..the Focal Change frames?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seen it

Used it

Cool!

Barry
    Have you tried it yourself? The negative comments in this thread seem to be from people who don't wear near distance lenses (plus one who tried it over her bifocal contacts(?)). I would love to hear from someone who has actually worn it with their Rx in it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Redhot Jumper Focal Change

Thanks for the fast reply...now to see if it is still made. As I recall it wasn't the cutest frame on the wall, but it is unique. Is anyone using this concept?
    I do look forward to transition lenses that change by electrical current !!!!
    That will be fabulous.
    DR. P

Occupation
    Optometrist

Sorry for the Negative...

:finger:
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Have you tried it yourself? The negative comments in this thread seem to be from people who don't wear near distance lenses (plus one who tried it over her bifocal contacts(?)). I would love to hear from someone who has actually worn it with their Rx in it.
    I understand your questioning, but you still have to look through this thing.
    I am essentially emmetropic with my distance only contacts. AT 52 I figure I am about as good a subject as any. And yes, my optician who has not worn contacts until she came to work for me a month or two ago did look through them, but it would be the same as her being emmetropic and looking through this lens. Its just the transition area that bothered both of us. Had not a thing to do with the add power or area. That was perfectly fine. It was getting into it. Reminded me of a ft trifocal with about 1/2mm of space between the different zones. You could clearly see the zones, but they were so small it bothered both of us. I have certainly looked through some plano bifocals and some plano progressives. I have never had the experience like this lens. And yes unfortunately, I was not pleased.
    But as you said, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I look forward to trying them on a patient. I even have one in mind. My wife.
    She hates progressives and has to wear lousy flat tops. So, I will get her a pair and see what she thinks. Until then, I look forward to hearing the responses of every one else.
    DR.P

Luzerne Optical Laboratories
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The lens is not laminated, Pixel Optics describes it as a composite material intra-molecularly bonded. 1.67 and Trivex.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.P View Post
    I do look forward to transition lenses that change by electrical current !!!!
    That will be fabulous.
    DR. P
    Then you should really like this...
    My understanding of PixelOptics product for the future is a lens that will adjust power electronically based on the distance viewed. It sounds like it will be basically a very thin material (thickness independent of power) that will read the distance to what is viewed and distance to the retina and adjust the power automatically. It would require frames that will hold/hide the battery and a computer chip at minimum.

Pixel Optics website -> http://www.pixeloptics.com/pages/UnderDevelopment.html

From their website:
    PixelOptics Eye-Wear: Today’s static lenses will be replaced by dynamic (“intelligent”) lenses that automatically adjust focusing power electronically, in milliseconds, without any moving parts to various working needs and/or environments.

PixelOptics will allow a patient to instantly achieve optimal vision no matter where they look (far, near, or in-between). In addition, lenses based on PixelOptics’ technology will significantly reduce, if not eliminate, head tilt and movement, as well as distortion associated with conventional state of the art bifocals and progressive addition lenses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Didn't try one in my *actual* Rx, but used a plano protype over my eyewear.

Very Cool!

Barry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Then you should really like this...
    My understanding of PixelOptics product for the future is a lens that will adjust power electronically based on the distance viewed. It sounds like it will be basically a very thin material (thickness independent of power) that will read the distance to what is viewed and distance to the retina and adjust the power automatically. It would require frames that will hold/hide the battery and a computer chip at minimum.

Pixel Optics website -> http://www.pixeloptics.com/pages/UnderDevelopment.html

From their website:
    PixelOptics Eye-Wear: Today’s static lenses will be replaced by dynamic (“intelligent”) lenses that automatically adjust focusing power electronically, in milliseconds, without any moving parts to various working needs and/or environments.

PixelOptics will allow a patient to instantly achieve optimal vision no matter where they look (far, near, or in-between). In addition, lenses based on PixelOptics’ technology will significantly reduce, if not eliminate, head tilt and movement, as well as distortion associated with conventional state of the art bifocals and progressive addition lenses.

Oh, cool! Now you need never move your head again!:D
    I've seen the prototype that makes a trial frame look sleek, and they're still depending on using two thin layers of glass that I would bet would never pass a drop ball test. Good area to start exploring though, just needs more refinement.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Didn't try one in my *actual* Rx, but used a plano protype over my eyewear.

Very Cool!

Barry
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist

Focal Change

Any one have any ideas on this? someone told me to look to Decot? Shooting glasses....I gotta think someone out there is eating some of those Focal Change frames. Gotta wonder why no one has tried to duplicate the process.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.P View Post
    Any one have any ideas on this? someone told me to look to Decot? Shooting glasses....I gotta think someone out there is eating some of those Focal Change frames. Gotta wonder why no one has tried to duplicate the process.

Try the search function. There was a post a while back, that had the inventor of them posting in it.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Atlast

Met with the Pixel rep last week and viewed the sample...1 pair was a st28 and the other pair were Atlast lenses. I actually liked what I saw, particularly in the intermediate area (very wide). I think price will be an issue until its available in more materials. I ordered a pair to try and hopefully I will have them on Tuesday. I will let you guys know what I think of them. I ordered a:
    -1.00-25 x 110
    -25-75 x 25
    1.75 add
    seg at 14 (3mm above lower lid as suggested)
    Kodak Cear AR
    Last edited by Lee H; 11-21-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Thread Information