Thread: what could cause this?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

what could cause this?

I have a patient who purchased a pair of GT2 lenses in poly with a carat adv. a/r coat.

rx:

+0.75 -0.75 x 005
    +1.00 -0.75 x 170 ADD: +2.00

seg: 18 PD's: 33.5 ou

Now... she loved these glasses. they were "perfect". Then, she lost these glasses.

Flash forward... she ordered another pair... the exact same frame, same measurements, everything. They line up perfectly... but she says she can only see straight through the middle and the other areas are blurred. What could cause this?

Thanks

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check seg alignment and ht. in frame.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    They line up perfectly... but she says she can only see straight through the middle and the other areas are blurred. What could cause this?

Thanks
    Obviously when she sees blurred...................the line up is not perfect up or down and sideways and not as the previous pair.

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Inconsistancy of polycarb, waves. Hold them at arms length to a window and move them up an down. Have them remade.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i dotted them up with crosshairs and all... and they match up perfectly with her pupils... they are pretty much perfectly horizontally aligned... I spoke with the lab manager... who looked them up and said everything was exactly the same... down to the base curve of the lenses.

I had her move them up and down to see if it changed anything and it really didn't.

Distance she can see basically 20/20 straight on but she says it's just "uncomfortable". Near she only see maybe 20/50 (20/20 with the other ones).

I'm sending them back to the lab manager so he can check for some sort of lens defects or something :hammer:

Banned
    Occupation
    If the lab manager has experience, they should work with you here and remake it no charge. I have seen many cases of this and when you remake the lens, it usually solves the problem.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    i dotted them up with crosshairs and all... and they match up perfectly with her pupils... they are pretty much perfectly horizontally aligned... I spoke with the lab manager... who looked them up and said everything was exactly the same... down to the base curve of the lenses.

I had her move them up and down to see if it changed anything and it really didn't.

Distance she can see basically 20/20 straight on but she says it's just "uncomfortable". Near she only see maybe 20/50 (20/20 with the other ones).

I'm sending them back to the lab manager so he can check for some sort of lens defects or something :hammer:
    How long has she worn them?

I say have her wear them for a day. Even though the RX is the same, slight changes, even in basecurve, may be blurry at first.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make sure the face form and pantoscopic tilt match with the old pair... solves lots of problems ;)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    she had them a few days and attempted to drive with them :/.

I messed with the tilt and what not a bit... but they're basically new and very similar to each other either way... humm.

we'll see what the manager says :)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good idea. I am assumming that you have double checked the prescription, checked the adjustment, and that you have checked to make sure she got a GT2 and not a GT.

If all else fails....magic shelf? ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

RE lens mystery

I had the same problem once... except we had the old pair to compare. I could find no difference at all until I checked the RX outside the fitting cross to both the left and right. All progressives change power across the width of the lens but one lens (although it checked out fine at the fitting cross) the power degraded almost an entire diopter at the periphery, compared to less than .25 in the other pair.

apparently it was an equipment malfunction at the lab.

Sharpstick

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Another question, are you using monocular PD or biocular, and when you check the measurements, what form do you use?

A 60 biocular PD can measure 60, but have different monocular numbers.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

That's probably the answer

Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    apparently it was an equipment malfunction at the lab.

Sharpstick
    Who says that production equipment is 100% perfect? Only those who don't want to spend anything on QA. Labs should describe their inspection procedures (if any). Don't forget: whenever an unsattisfied patient returns for complaining about a bad job, there are others waiting .... and listening...
    Last edited by Raanan Bavli; 11-05-2008 at 08:07 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

When in doubt..

re-trial frame the DV & NV Rxs to confirm expected acuity levels.

THEN suspectb the lenses

Vision is and will always remain fluid!

Barry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    monocular PD's... and they checked out perfectly each time (fitting crosses were right over her pupils)

either way... we got the glasses back (the lab redid them even though everything checked out perfectly on their side as well) and she said they were better. She says that the original pair were still the "perfect" pair and these were not quite as good as those had been... but that these were better than the second pair of lenses had been.

/boggle. ah well... she says these are pretty good in any case.

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    monocular PD's... and they checked out perfectly each time (fitting crosses were right over her pupils)

either way... we got the glasses back (the lab redid them even though everything checked out perfectly on their side as well) and she said they were better. She says that the original pair were still the "perfect" pair and these were not quite as good as those had been... but that these were better than the second pair of lenses had been.

/boggle. ah well... she says these are pretty good in any case.
    Maybe it's part psychological? I mean, w/ all else being equal, and now she is happier with the remake, let me say that maybe she will never be 100% happy with the new pair, as she was with her first "perfect" pair because she is reminded that she lost the 1st pair and she feels bad about losing them. Just a thought...
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

Thread Information