Thread: Neutralize

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Neutralize

How do I find out if it is legal to Neutralize and make glasses from an exisiting pair in my state. I live in Nebraska.

Thank you for your help!!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Contact the Optometric Board.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    deleted....bad info!!! My bad!
    Last edited by CME4SPECS; 10-21-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    scroll down 3/4 of the way to the bottom. below recommendation #4http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/leg/hpc/reports/apps-optic.html
    This is Canadian, he lives in Nebraska.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well smack my face, I thought I pulled up Nebraska! :hammer:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 10-27-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: didn't answer question

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why is it up to the state Board of Optometry to decide whether or not it is legal to neutralize a Rx? Why not the medical board (OMD's)? I understand that in licensed states there is usually some language dealing with this subject in the Opticianry law and they would have the correct answer. However, in non-licensed states, why does the Board of Optometry think it is up to them to decide whether or not OPTICIANS neutralize a Rx? I think if it ever went to court (Optician v. Board of Optometry), the Board of Optometry should lose because they do not have to authority to make legislation that restricts another profession. Of course, the Optician probably wouldn't have the money to afford an attorney as good as the Board of Optometry would have and he/she would probably lose. What if the original Rx being neutralized was not written by an Optometrist, instead by an OMD? Would the Board of Optometry still have the authority to restrict it? I don't think Opticians should be advertising that they can neutralize an Rx but if a patient comes in and specifically asks an Optician to do it, then he/she should have the right to neutralize it.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Senorwes1 View Post
    Why is it up to the state Board of Optometry to decide whether or not it is legal to neutralize a Rx? Why not the medical board (OMD's)? I understand that in licensed states there is usually some language dealing with this subject in the Opticianry law and they would have the correct answer. However, in non-licensed states, why does the Board of Optometry think it is up to them to decide whether or not OPTICIANS neutralize a Rx? I think if it ever went to court (Optician v. Board of Optometry), the Board of Optometry should lose because they do not have to authority to make legislation that restricts another profession. Of course, the Optician probably wouldn't have the money to afford an attorney as good as the Board of Optometry would have and he/she would probably lose. What if the original Rx being neutralized was not written by an Optometrist, instead by an OMD? Would the Board of Optometry still have the authority to restrict it? I don't think Opticians should be advertising that they can neutralize an Rx but if a patient comes in and specifically asks an Optician to do it, then he/she should have the right to neutralize it.
    Your right their board makes rules that do not apply to other professions and their rules are not set in stone. The are rules not laws, and like you mentioned they would need to be challanged in court with a ruling to become law and like you mentioned probably would come down to who could afford the best lawyer.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dear Senor:

Why: Obvious my Dear Watson: They have the money, numbers and political clout to do so. Welcome to US politics. Right or wrong has nothing to do with legislation or agency rulings. Just money, numbers and clout.

Chip

Thread Information