Thread: Dry Eye- Baseball- reference needed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dry Eye- Baseball- reference needed

A long time ago, I read an article to the effect that baseball catchers have a preponderance to dry eye. They (of all the position players) are trained not to blink- they might miss that lead off, the pitch, the swing, or any of a dozen different subtleties that can make or break a play, let alone a game.

The article stated prolonged ball play (in years) artificially induced permanent dry eye, even years after the individual stopped playing. It is self-evident that from a young age, being trained not to blink is going to imprint poor long-term habits, but there once was a study…

Anyone know the source?

An Oreo to the first to cite…
    Shwing

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Swing:

Don't know of this source but you might check with Mr. Vernon Lamb, he used to have a great deal of interest in blinking. Even had a record out on the mechanics of blinking. He was primarily dealing with rigid CL wearers who became non-blinkers to avoid feeling lens edges during adaptation period. This sounds like somewhat the same problem you are concerned with.
    Me I believe that dry eye is one of the most over diagnosed things in the ophthalmic community, and is used as an excuse to excuse poor CL fitting skills or sell punctum plugs more than to actually treat a true condition.

Chip

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thread hijack alert...

Sorry I don't know of the study but here's a baseball story some may find interesting.

Years ago in his heyday Wade Boggs was bothered by intermittent blurred vision. This from a guy who had 20/10 vision (like Ted Williams). He went to a number of doctors who prescribed glasses and contacts for a minimal rx but didn't work.

Finally he found an OD who diagnosed the problem and fixed it by telling him to blink when his vision blurred. He was concentrating so hard staring at the pitcher waiting for the pitch that he was seeing his tears flowing down over his cornea. Problem solved!

Wade also had total recall of every at bat in the majors for every pitch thrown to him. Pretty remarkable.

This is how I heard the story anyway.

I'd like to see a study of baseball players who have LASIK and see if their batting/fielding average differs from indoor/outdoor day/night games pre and post procedure. (Good luck getting an agent to agree to that!)
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-21-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Sorry I don't know of the study but here's a baseball story some may find interesting.

Years ago in his heyday Wade Boggs was bothered by intermittent blurred vision. This from a guy who had 20/10 vision (like Ted Williams). He went to a number of doctors who prescribed glasses and contacts for a minimal rx but didn't work.

Finally he found an OD who diagnosed the problem and fixed it by telling him to blink when his vision blurred. He was concentrating so hard staring at the pitcher waiting for the pitch that he was seeing his tears flowing down over his cornea. Problem solved!

Wade also had total recall of every at bat in the majors for every pitch thrown to him. Pretty remarkable.

This is how I heard the story anyway.

I'd like to see a study of baseball players who have LASIK and see if their batting/fielding average differs from indoor/outdoor day/night games pre and post procedure. (Good luck getting an agent to agree to that!)
    I know there's ONE he'd like to forget!:bbg::cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i have of similar things with professional drag racers, specifically Pro Stock. Concentrating on cutting a good light and staring at the tree for a long time with out blinking.

and even having cornea thinning to increase light sensitivity so they would be more reactive to the lights changing.

i cant think of a reputible source but i will look into it alittle.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    a quick search, all i found was: Amato had eye surgery earlier this summer and immediately won the next event he competed in Denver for his only other win of the season

Amato later retired from vision complications, a common problem associated with the G forces these guys go through.

i will keep looking around

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wade Boggs

Uncle Fester,
    Wade Boggs was refracted, and fit with C.L. by Dr. Andrew Gillies, Dedham Ophthalmic Consultants and Surgeons, Dedham, Ma.
    This took place when Boggs played for the Sox.
    Dr. Daniel Laby, Canton, Ma. also was the Assistant team Ophthalmologist for the Dodgers and Red Sox for some time.. He may know the blinking answer.
    James Peterson
    Batspeed1@aol.com:cheers:
    Westender64@aol.com:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now Eric you dun stirred de pot.

If G forces effect people who have had eye surgery (I may be falsely assuming that this was refractive surgery and not retinal surgery).
    Why has the Air Force started approving lasic? The Gs in an F-18 must be a lot higher than a race car.

Now if he had retinal repair I can understand why one would want to stay away from G forces.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

If G forces effect people who have had eye surgery (I may be falsely assuming that this was refractive surgery and not retinal surgery).
    Why has the Air Force started approving lasic? The Gs in an F-18 must be a lot higher than a race car.

Now if he had retinal repair I can understand why one would want to stay away from G forces.

Chip

I don't think they allow fighter pilots to have less than 20/20 uncorrected without surgery.You are right - the G forces could have an adverse effect.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by James Peterson View Post
    Uncle Fester,
    Wade Boggs was refracted, and fit with C.L. by Dr. Andrew Gillies, Dedham Ophthalmic Consultants and Surgeons, Dedham, Ma.
    This took place when Boggs played for the Sox.
    Dr. Daniel Laby, Canton, Ma. also was the Assistant team Ophthalmologist for the Dodgers and Red Sox for some time.. He may know the blinking answer.
    James Peterson
    Batspeed1@aol.com:cheers:
    Westender64@aol.com:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Cool! Thanks for the inside skinny.:)

To my knowledge the CL's were not necessary. Or am I perpetuating an urban myth?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

Chip
    and f-18 only goes through higher G forces in turning, not acceleration. an outdated study found 6-7 G's at launch for a top fuel dragster, an f-18 recorded 4-6. the f-18 is built to withstand 9gs and can reach around that in a top speed sharp turn.

if you have a chance, or are really bored, look into the physics involved in drag racing, its amazing what they are able to do

right now they are getting close to 200mph by half track (1/8th mile) once that is reached they expect launch G's to be 8 or more.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vern?

Vern??

Outstanding! As if I need an excuse for the sage advise of one of the most experienced practitioners in the country...

thx

(no Oreo, though)
    Shwing

Thread Information