Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would you get?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

what would you get?

It's about time for me to get some new glasses.

rx is around -4.25 to -4.75, with a cyl of -0.25 to -0.50 ou. (haven't had my official exam yet).

I am an optician at a private office and I want to try the latest and greatest from my local lab. I was interested in trying a hoya nulux EP 1.70 EYRA lens with superhivision, but my lab is very limited in hoya product. So...

with my RX in mind... what would be the ultimate lens to get (with coatings and all... likely not transition... more looking for appearance, A/R, clarity, and thickness).

I was leaning maybe towards an Essilor Thin and Lite 1.74 lens with Crizal Avance with scotchgard.

any recommendations?

thanks!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

1.60 index or trivex.

Of course depending on your choice of frame.
    I think high abbe value is more important than freeform.

If someone here believes otherwise, please let me know.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Ecliptic,

If you were deciding between hoya 1.7 or essilor 1.74, I would speak to each rep and get yourself both pairs at no charge, I'm sure they would be happy to oblige as they know they will sell more lenses if you're wearing them! (just find yourself an extra frame :) )

Then you can make your own mind up on what you think is best (as far as ease of fit/edge/finish, ease of cleaning with hoya SFT vs essilor Crizal A2 (i think that's my equiv coating for the essilor one you mentioned), clarity and appearance.

You might find the ET difference may not be noticeable, as I think hoya 1.7 has thinner CT (1.0mm?) compared to essilor 1.74.

Both lenses smell just as bad as each other :p

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticianVlad View Post
    Of course depending on your choice of frame.
    I think high abbe value is more important than freeform.

If someone here believes otherwise, please let me know.
    , I hear you I wear a transition mid index good abbe and it's thin enough especially when I choose a frame of proper dimension. My Rx is about a -4.75 sph equiv OU so I'm right in the ball park. No coatings because I work in the lab where my lenses are coated with fine dust at the end of every day, tried AR once a while back and ended up replacing the lenses 2 months in because of fine scratches. I also have a pair of rimless in poly 2.0CT that I wear often, transition with a silver flash. Fine scratches but not as noticeable since it's a flash coat, when they get dark in the sun they look like a nice pair of shades then in the lab they are thick enough to protect against screws and such. Had trivex been available at the time they would be trivex. My next pair will be a trivex transition.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

HOYA NuLux EP

NuLux EP is one of the few lenses that constantly get positive feedback. A pretty amazing feat considering it is single vision.

-Adam

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it's a fairly standard full-framed (metal) square-shaped frame.

essilor hasn't contacted me since i sent them an email a couple weeks ago... and I dont know that I'll have access to nulux lenses due to my lab.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

clear but thick!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Had trivex been available at the time they would be trivex.
    My current 'work' pair is trivex (with VP), it is the clearest vision I've ever had!

My first pair was eyas, then a few 1.74s and now trivex - but man it's thick!

I'm a -1.75 with 0.25 cyls, wearing a 52/18 rectangular rimless, pd 59 (fair enough a 6mm decenter each eye). Using stock lens, my biggest ET is 3.0mm. With absolutely no offense implied at all to the previous posters (or fellow readers!) but I feel like a -3.00 in these! :( :( :p

Perhaps I've just been spoiled with the overkill high-index with my previous Rx's (started once upon a time at-0.75) and I'm not used to having much ET. :)

If you're wearing specs at work (sales floor) you'd want the thinnest and best finished lenses (polish etc) you can get your hands on! If it's a pair for your own personal wear, then definately hear what Vlad and Harry have to say!

Do you have the rep's cell? Give 'em a call! They can't delete/minimize their phone :bbg: hehehe

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    harry wouldn't a -5.00 total power lens be kinda thick with trivex? :hammer:
    Last edited by Ecliptic; 10-21-2008 at 12:08 AM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I have a similar RX.

What I would suggest is the Essilor Anti-Fatigue lens. Have several pairs with it, one with the new Hoya double Aspheric lens, pairs with regular RX, and pairs with transitions, and I find the Anti-Fatigue the best. Really reduces eye sores.

The whole index hype is just that. You will do fine in a 1.67. I have worn all materials and have not seen a difference.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I agree that high Abbe should take precedence over thinness. That makes the Hoya 1.70 perfect for you, as it's ABBE is higher than the 1.67 and 1.74.
    On the other hand, the 1.60 index would also work well in that Rx.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Please get a non-glare this time!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    , I hear you I wear a transition mid index good abbe and it's thin enough especially when I choose a frame of proper dimension. My Rx is about a -4.75 sph equiv OU so I'm right in the ball park. No coatings because I work in the lab where my lenses are coated with fine dust at the end of every day, tried AR once a while back and ended up replacing the lenses 2 months in because of fine scratches. I also have a pair of rimless in poly 2.0CT that I wear often, transition with a silver flash. Fine scratches but not as noticeable since it's a flash coat, when they get dark in the sun they look like a nice pair of shades then in the lab they are thick enough to protect against screws and such. Had trivex been available at the time they would be trivex. My next pair will be a trivex transition.
    I used to use 1.67 on powers over a -3.00, we now use trivex to -5.00 and the clients love the clarity.
    I just had a good client pick up a pair of Unique trivex with an RX of -3.00 -3.00 098 ish in both eyes and she is already wearing a Unique 1.67 in the same RX.
    She came in yesterday for an adjustment and I asked her about her new lenses vs her other pair and she commented they were a little thicker. I asked if she noticed the lighter weight and if the vision was any different in this trivex material. She certainly noticed the weight difference and she felt like it was brighter and clearer. She thought she was just imagining the better optics and she did notice the advantages of the higher abbe value.

Harry just go get an eye exam- do you do your own refraction?- and order a Unique Phoenix Transitions. I will get you a pair to try!

I am actually getting an exam today for my first progressive! I can't read my watch with my sunglasses on anymore. It started with my cell phone about 6 months ago; so I bought a new phone.

Does anyone which lens has the best distance, intermediate and reading area; that is the one I want.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea Thickness difference is not much with 1.74 vs. trivex in -5.00!

Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    harry wouldn't a -5.00 total power lens be kinda thick with trivex? :hammer:
    Using the opticampus thickness calculator:
    a -5.00 sphere with PD's of 62 in a 50 eye has an edge thickness of 4.2mm in 1.74 and an edge thickness of 5.4mm. That is a difference of only 1.2 mm for a lens that is much lighter on the nose and has clearer optics. Never mind it is 1/2 the price!

I used to hate trivex material and now make reasons to use as much of it as possible.

Craig

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    order a Unique Phoenix Transitions.
    Not to split hairs but Signet uses Trilogy Trivex in the Unique. Phoenix is priority to HOYA. Consider a iD Lifestyle or HOYALUX iD, both of which are available in the Phoenix-Trivex material.

-Adam

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Memoir View Post
    My first pair was eyas, then a few 1.74s and now trivex - but man it's thick!

I'm a -1.75 with 0.25 cyls, wearing a 52/18 rectangular rimless, pd 59
    You must be hyper sensitive to thickness. Between the two materials you mentioned the CTs are almost exactly the same and their should be an edge thickness difference of about 0.5mm. That's pretty dang small.

Interesting that when I do my calculations for a Trilogy that it comes out with a 4.0 thickness edge, but on a Phoenix (HOYA) it comes out to 3.7 thickest edge.

Yet another interesting thing to consider is that if you used Aspheric-SV Phoenix/Trivex from HOYA the base curve would have been flatter than a stock 1.74.

Something to chew on.

-Adam

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    essilor hasn't contacted me since i sent them an email a couple weeks ago... and I dont know that I'll have access to nulux lenses due to my lab.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if a lab does not have what you want, why not go to a different lab? If the store I am at does not carry the brand/item I want I go someplace that does.

I read someplace that the average retail operation uses 2.2 labs (don't know how you use .2 of a lab). If you are like most, you probably have a second option. I know that including HOYA's own labs, there are well over 100 labs that can supply the full line of HOYA lenses. Adam (cherry optical) is an optiboard member and a HOYA authorized lab.

JB

Disclaimer: I do work for HOYA.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

They prefer the Phoenix over the trilogy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    Not to split hairs but Signet uses Trilogy Trivex in the Unique. Phoenix is priority to HOYA. Consider a iD Lifestyle or HOYALUX iD, both of which are available in the Phoenix-Trivex material.

-Adam
    That was the case, but the Unique is processed on as much Phoenix material as possible. They will use either one at times, but they have much better results with the Phoenix material. I specifically asked the same question when I was at the facility a few months ago.

I and Pech Optical could also not agree more; we have better success in all areas using Phoenix over Trilogy as a first choice in trivex materials.

The Phoenix has a different ABBE value than Trilogy and is more stable by virtue of the changes made by Hoya to the base monomer.

At some point look for the 1.6 trivex to be released, it is not ready for prime-time yet!

Craig
    NO MORE POLY!!!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I have a similar RX.

What I would suggest is the Essilor Anti-Fatigue lens. Have several pairs with it, one with the new Hoya double Aspheric lens, pairs with regular RX, and pairs with transitions, and I find the Anti-Fatigue the best. Really reduces eye sores.

The whole index hype is just that. You will do fine in a 1.67. I have worn all materials and have not seen a difference.

Is that the lens that's "single vision" but has like .51-ish diopters of add power?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hi Ecliptic!

I would recommend the 1.70 over the 1.74, it's got a better abbe and is thinner. If you can get the Nulux EP then go for it - I have also had great feedback on that product (I work for Hoya, too!) and the optics are outstanding. As for Phoenix, it gets a bit thick after -4.00 unless you are pupilly centered in a small frame. (IMHO)

It's about time for me to get some new glasses.

rx is around -4.25 to -4.75, with a cyl of -0.25 to -0.50 ou. (haven't had my official exam yet).

I am an optician at a private office and I want to try the latest and greatest from my local lab. I was interested in trying a hoya nulux EP 1.70 EYRA lens with superhivision, but my lab is very limited in hoya product. So...

with my RX in mind... what would be the ultimate lens to get (with coatings and all... likely not transition... more looking for appearance, A/R, clarity, and thickness).

The nulux is a fantastic lens - if you want the clearest, sharpest optics. If that is not available, do the 1.70 ERYA like others have mentioned - it is thinner than the 1.74 and has a better abbe. Phoenix gets a little thick after -4.00 in my humble opinion, unless you pupilly centered in a small frame.

I was leaning maybe towards an Essilor Thin and Lite 1.74 lens with Crizal Avance with scotchgard.

any recommendations?

thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    That was the case, but the Unique is processed on as much Phoenix material as possible. They will use either one at times, but they have much better results with the Phoenix material. I specifically asked the same question when I was at the facility a few months ago.

I and Pech Optical could also not agree more; we have better success in all areas using Phoenix over Trilogy as a first choice in trivex materials.

The Phoenix has a different ABBE value than Trilogy and is more stable by virtue of the changes made by Hoya to the base monomer.

At some point look for the 1.6 trivex to be released, it is not ready for prime-time yet!

Craig
    NO MORE POLY!!!
    1.6 Trivex!? Count me in!!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    1.6 Trivex!? Count me in!!
    Yeah...................I have been hearing about this for like 3 years or so now. I have'nt been able to get any solid info like if, when, how, etc.

I am on that train when it pulls in!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    Is that the lens that's "single vision" but has like .51-ish diopters of add power?
    yes

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    You must be hyper sensitive to thickness. Between the two materials you mentioned the CTs are almost exactly the same and their should be an edge thickness difference of about 0.5mm. That's pretty dang small.
    Oh absolutely! And I never knew until I got these lenses a few months ago. It took me about a week of pondering and self realization to figure it out..

(..that I'm "one of those" customers which we all know.. *to self* damnit! LOL) :p

I think it was a combination of factors; my Rx getting slowly stronger over the years, and then going from -1.25 in 1.74 (stock, in a small nylon, paper thin - definitely not to min ET standards) to -1.75 in 1.53 (rimless) further made the difference in ET between the two pairs seemingly more pronounced.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is the best combination of optics, safety, thinness, light weight

If it is a drill, I would use Asp Trivex at 1.2 CT - Or if you don't care about the thickness. But anyway, it won't be too thick.

If you want the thinnest lens, try a stock Resolution. I almost dare you to compare it to a 1.67 lens. It just may be thinner.

I too prefer the Phoenix product over the Trilogy. Once I replaced a trivex lens under warranty and didn't pay attention to the brands. I put a Trilogy lens to replace a Phoenix lens. The Phoenix lens was noticeably whiter with less yellow tint. This was noticeable because it was a polished drill mount. I also prefer the stock HiVision AR.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

First pair of Trivex

I'm trying Trivex for the first time in a new pair reading glasses. We order our stock lenses from Nassau and my +1.50 sph w/ AR has ben on back order since mid September. This is crazy!

I've called them countless times.

Is it me? or is everyone short on inventory?
    I still have have frames trickling in from Charmant from an order we placed 2 months ago.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticianVlad View Post
    I'm trying Trivex for the first time in a new pair reading glasses. We order our stock lenses from Nassau and my +1.50 sph w/ AR has ben on back order since mid September. This is crazy!

I've called them countless times.
    Better pricing (at least on Trivex) and on-line inventory levels on Lenstock.com. Lenstock.com says that they have 4 each +1.50 sph Phoenix w/ HiVision and 2 each of Younger Trilogy w/AR in stock right now. You could have them by Thurs 10am.

I don't work for them.

Thread Information