Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there an easy way to sell Crizal Avance on VSP?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is there an easy way to sell Crizal Avance on VSP?

I find that Zeiss Carat Advantage and Crizal Alize are wonderful at first but a year down the line they are much harder to clean and get dirty much faster. I am truly impressed with the Crizal Avance, never have I seen an AR clean as easily and stay clean as long. So far it doesn't seem to wear off.

But, it's not VSP approved. :( We do a lot of VSP. How can I sell it to my VSP patients without jumping through hoops with VSP? Of course I know I will have to charge more...but for some patients that isn't an issue.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, I don't do VSP, but my experience has been:
    I am truly impressed with the Crizal Avance, never have I seen an AR clean as easily and stay clean as long. So far it doesn't seem to wear off.
    Crizal Avance only lasts about 7-9 months, after that its regular old crizal all over again.
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 10-11-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Sorry, I don't do VSP, but my experience has been:Crizal Avance only lasts about 7-9 months, after that its regular old crizal all over again.
    NO!:drop: Don't say that! The spiel from Crizal is that it lasts 20,000 washings. Why do you say it only lasts 7 to 9 months? It's only been out about that long.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not only is it VSP approved but they have been putting Avance on any jobs where Crizal was requested and sending a slip of paper with the job saying "you have been upgraded free of charge" which apparently we are to give to the patient at pick up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, I don't do VSP, but my experience has been:Crizal Avance only lasts about 7-9 months, after that its regular old crizal all over again.
    My own pair of Avance coated lenses is a lot older than that and still in pristine condition. Personally I don't see the big difference between Avance and Crizal though.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Not only is it VSP approved but they have been putting Avance on any jobs where Crizal was requested and sending a slip of paper with the job saying "you have been upgraded free of charge" which apparently we are to give to the patient at pick up.
    Your lab has been doing this, but I don't think all labs are. I guess I will call VSP and my lab on Monday.

My own pair of Avance coated lenses is a lot older than that and still in pristine condition. Personally I don't see the big difference between Avance and Crizal though.
    I see a huge difference. I noticed that year old Alize and Carat Advantage no longer beads up when a marker is used on it. They are much harder to clean and don't stay clean as long.

Even new Alize is not as good. I put Alize on my over my mulitfocal contact driving glasses and it's okay but not like Avance.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who Sells? Us supposed ta be eye care provider types. Except of course those of us that are not opticians and concider ourselves to be salespeople.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Avancé is in fact NOT like the older Alizé or even Clear Guard. It does have a much better long term durability - even when cleaned incorrectly.

Sadly with VSP billing, the Avancé product along with several others are not regularly billable options. You must use the VSP "SLO" (special lens ordering) option. Which may be many things...but "easy" is NOT a term I would use for it.

It can be done, but does require jumping through a few more very specific hoops. For some practices, if you have the time and understand the extra steps needed, it can be a fairly viable option. It does pay better than the standard VSP reimbursement.

Bri~

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Avancé is in fact NOT like the older Alizé or even Clear Guard. It does have a much better long term durability - even when cleaned incorrectly.

Sadly with VSP billing, the Avancé product along with several others are not regularly billable options. You must use the VSP "SLO" (special lens ordering) option. Which may be many things...but "easy" is NOT a term I would use for it.

It can be done, but does require jumping through a few more very specific hoops. For some practices, if you have the time and understand the extra steps needed, it can be a fairly viable option. It does pay better than the standard VSP reimbursement.

Bri~
    :( I want easy. Davis offers it on some of their plans, why can't VSP?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably because they feel the margins are too low. Pity as it really is one of the best choices in anti reflective lenses available presently.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    NO!:drop: Don't say that! The spiel from Crizal is that it lasts 20,000 washings. Why do you say it only lasts 7 to 9 months? It's only been out about that long.
    I have gotten this from previous crizal wearers that were updated to avance as well as my own observation. The slick coat does not last as it is brand new. I believe it is still better that regular crizal.
    Can't be a whole lot older, it was released to ECP's in the US on Jan 15, 2008. I bought into this right away, and this is the feedback I am getting 6-9 months later. JMHO

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LC has had a Scotchguard coated lens for about 2 years now. and it works good as long as it's not crazed. Now LUX is not authorized to apply ScotchGuard to Crizal, so they apply it to RF A/R which crazes when ScotchGuard is applied to it.

Avancé is good, It's the slickest coating I've seen. But then again, I haven't had much experience with anything other than Essilor coatings.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't be a whole lot older, it was released to ECP's in the US on Jan 15, 2008. I bought into this right away, and this is the feedback I am getting 6-9 months later. JMHO
    You are right my own lenses are NOT Avance but Alize. My bad.:o

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper All of them wear down...................

You are right my own lenses are NOT Avance but Alize. My bad.
    Who cares, these slick coats are all the same made with the same chemical and they do wear down due to abrasion while cleaning.

They have to be so thin for a reason, which is................they totally change the AR properties if made thicker.

I you never clean them they will never wear down.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Happylady, do you know how to do the special lens option? It actually makes you a bit more money. I know its kind of a pain. I know Essilor is working with VSP to try and get it together.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Who cares, these slick coats are all the same made with the same chemical and they do wear down due to abrasion while cleaning.

They have to be so thin for a reason, which is................they totally change the AR properties if made thicker.

I you never clean them they will never wear down.
    some will wear down faster than others (much faster for some too)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    Happylady, do you know how to do the special lens option? It actually makes you a bit more money. I know its kind of a pain. I know Essilor is working with VSP to try and get it together.
    I know there is some way to file a special lens option. I called once and asked VSP about it but it seemed complicated and I didn't go any further.

Occupation

Shameless Plug

iCoat's Stainless is a Category C AR and stays slick for the life of the lens.

End of Shameless Plug...your usually scheduled thread will continue shortly.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just do what I do...buy a new pair every three months and rotate them so that you don't wear the same glasses every day. If pt's each had 10 pairs, each set of lenses would be wiped 1/10 of what it is now, and problems would be solved! See? It's the consumer's fault for not owning an extensive collection. ;-)

If you wore the same shoes every day, they would wear down faster than if you had 7 pairs and wore each pair once a week.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Prewitt View Post
    iCoat's Stainless is a Category C AR and stays slick for the life of the lens.

End of Shameless Plug...your usually scheduled thread will continue shortly.
    I'm giving them a shot. Can you tint Trivex trans under the Stainless AR? I hope so, because I just ordered one with special needs with a note to call me. Will they call me?

Never mind - they just called me.
    Are you sure Borysko doesn't work for you?
    <joke>
    Last edited by DragonLensmanWV; 10-13-2008 at 02:48 PM.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Be somewhat cautious when pairing a tint and A/R lens together. Generally the finished product isn't great regardless of the A/R process/manufacturer. Polar lenses fair well, but tints not so much. Just some hard learned experience.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I know there is some way to file a special lens option. I called once and asked VSP about it but it seemed complicated and I didn't go any further.
    It's simpler than you think and your Varilux rep has a worksheet that makes it even easier. If you don't have a rep PM me and I will get it for you.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    It's simpler than you think and your Varilux rep has a worksheet that makes it even easier. If you don't have a rep PM me and I will get it for you.
    Thank you for your help. :)

I called VSP and they walked me through it. It ended up being a total of $91.00 more then if she got the Alize. So she decided to just go with the Alize again.

The hydrophobic coating is completely gone on her Alize lenses that she got in April of 2007. When she gets her new glasses I am going to send the old lenses back under the scratch warranty. The prescription is almost the same.

She washed them every morning with soapy water. I wonder if just using plain water (unless they really need the soap) would make the top coat last longer.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The hydrophobic coating is completely gone on her Alize lenses that she got in April of 2007. When she gets her new glasses I am going to send the old lenses back under the scratch warranty. The prescription is almost the same

The prescription is "almost the same"??? If she needed a new prescription, how does a scratch warranty come into play? Sounds like you're abusing your lab's policies.
    RT

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post

The prescription is "almost the same"??? If she needed a new prescription, how does a scratch warranty come into play? Sounds like you're abusing your lab's policies.
    The lenses have some scratches on them so they are covered under the two year warranty. How is that abusing the lab's policies?

She really doesn't need a new prescription, she just wants new glasses. I think that is something we want to see more of, people thinking of glasses as fashion accessories.

Thread Information