Thread: Nevada senator joe heck's new bill

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nevada senator joe heck's new bill

I wanted to inform the people in the forum about a situation in nevada where a certain physian senator wants to destroy the nevada state license for opticians, Senator Heck wants to make it so that anyone with an ABO,NCLE and a state license will automatically have a nevada state license with payment. Instead of going to college and sitting for the nevada state exam. We feel this weakens the license and the overall profession by allowing less education in an health field. Mr Heck has been supported by luxottica and is having his pockets greased and feels like the abo and ncle is all you need and contains the latest technology sometimes surpassing some states own state requirements. I really had to laugh at this and i think that if allowed to happen could affect other licensed states as lens crafters and other affiliates of luxottica try and reduce cost. The lenscrafters here in nevada have a long history of not having enough licenses on the premises during store operation and have been fined for it, now they want to just get rid of the license to bring a lot of other people from other states such as california to run the stores. What do you guys think we should do?
    http://www.toheckwithus.com/blog/

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What do you expect in a state that allows legalized prostitution. A sense of honor?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

What do you expect in a state that allows legalized prostitution?
    Yeah, but that requires a license...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    And a test, I presume. :D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by geoflem View Post
    I wanted to inform the people in the forum about a situation in nevada where a certain physian senator wants to destroy the nevada state license for opticians, Senator Heck wants to make it so that anyone with an ABO,NCLE and a state license will automatically have a nevada state license with payment. Instead of going to college and sitting for the nevada state exam. We feel this weakens the license and the overall profession by allowing less education in an health field. Mr Heck has been supported by luxottica and is having his pockets greased and feels like the abo and ncle is all you need and contains the latest technology sometimes surpassing some states own state requirements. I really had to laugh at this and i think that if allowed to happen could affect other licensed states as lens crafters and other affiliates of luxottica try and reduce cost. The lenscrafters here in nevada have a long history of not having enough licenses on the premises during store operation and have been fined for it, now they want to just get rid of the license to bring a lot of other people from other states such as california to run the stores. What do you guys think we should do?
    Can you give bill numbers or any other information?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you need to gather all the Opticians in Nevada and have a "Legislative Day" in Carson City. Make appointments with your representatives and let your voices be heard and your numbers be seen. How involved is your state association and have they asked for assistance from OAA?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Their is no evidence of any talks, the board he sits on is making a decision on changes to licensure to help professions more easily license within NV, but opticians are not one of the professions propossed, yet. I looked at the minutes from the healthcare commitee all the way back into 2007 and the only mention of opticians is to LCB R201-07 which is in reference to a meeting that did not discuss licensure. I don't know where your gettign your info but please provide me with more details so that I can look further into it.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    What do you expect in a state that allows legalized prostitution. A sense of honor?
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    And a test, I presume. :D

I have found my new career. I will conduct licensing exams in Nevada.:cheers::bbg::cheers:
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Writings on the wall...

Is he a Republican or Democrat?

I assume he's not up for reelection.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by geoflem View Post
    I wanted to inform the people in the forum about a situation in nevada where a certain physian senator wants to destroy the nevada state license for opticians, Senator Heck wants to make it so that anyone with an ABO,NCLE and a state license will automatically have a nevada state license with payment. What do you guys think we should do?
    Here's a start... how about lobbying the ABO and NCLE organization to scrap their minimum competency ABO and NCLE credential, and have them offer ONLY the ABO and NCLE ADVANCED.

But of course that will cost this organization MONEY!!! So their 'Advanced' exam fees will have to go up.

And unless they really dumb-down the 'Advanced' ABO and NCLE exams, all new such registrants will have to take some sort of formal opticianry schooling to get through it, as these 'Advanced' exams are much more difficult exams, right??

But unfortunately, this is a long-term solution which doesn't help Nevada now. So start lobbying guys... at least you are dealing with Opticians:bbg::bbg:

Thread Information