Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I love Wal-Mart Optical

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why I love Wal-Mart Optical

A couple of weeks ago a patient's mom picked up new specs for the kid. 2 days later took them to WM to be adjusted because it was a Sunday and of course we are closed.
    The associate proceeds to snap the temple off of the brand new Hush Puppies frame that was obviously NOT defective. Try's to fit the lenses in a new frame. Patient says "I guess that will have to work". Then said associate wants to charge $90 for new frame! No way.
    Patient and mom arrive on Monday with the story and broken frame. I'm angry at first but the lab is where I collect my thoughts and figure out how to make lemonade. I replace the frame under warranty with an apology and a humorous admonishment to "Never go there again". I continue talking to mom and share a similiar story about how I broke a client's frame that was purchased at Wal-Mart. I told the patient that I would take care of it so I personally went to WM for a replacement and they wouldn't replace it even though it was within their 60-day warranty (or whatever it is). So I bought a new one at full retail for the patient. I made sure half a dozen people in the reception area room heard the story.
    The mom assured me that they would never step foot in there again, while the crowd chuckled.

That was great, but the best part is next:

Later that week the Wal-Mart associate that sold me the frame at full retail comes in and purchases a designer (Ferre) frame and 1.70 lenses (w/ super Hi-vision of course):bbg: She also ordered a pair of Koali sunglasses on approval. I have giddy dreams of her wearing her new rhinestone encrusted specs with wafer thin lenses with her blue smock and name badge.:D:D

Thank you WM!;)
    Last edited by MarcE; 10-11-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post

That was great, but the best part is next:

Later that week the Wal-Mart associate that sold me the frame at full retail comes in and purchases a designer (Ferre) frame and 1.70 lenses (w/ super Hi-vision of course):bbg: She also ordered a pair of Koali sunglasses on approval. I have giddy dreams of her wearing her new rhinestone encrusted specs with wafer thin lenses with her blue smock and name badge.:D:D

Thank you WM!;)

Awesome!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've already vented about this type of thing. Please see post #5 on http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...697#post260697

At least Wally World keeps it interesting for us.

Bob
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While this sort of post can be entertaining, it is actually rather unprofessional and can be outright slanderous. Just a word of caution to be careful in a public forum of just how far you want to take the bashing of our competition. I have worked in many MANY optical settings over the years, and yes, even managed a Wal Mart vision center. Wal Mart may be and stand for many things that you and I don't feel right about - but I will tell you my vision center was the best in a two state region while I was there. Add to that the fact that the absolute best doctor I've EVER worked for is still there. Happily. (for reasons that are entirely his own) We had the best patient satisfaction, the lowest remake/refund rate and the largest patient base growth while there. It was NOT just me - I had a team of amazing opticians and management. It can happen. And yes - you CAN get the best optical care of your life...even at Wal Mart.

Wishing you all the very best

Brian~

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What's bad about posting true experiences? I personally have not had any problems like that with either of our WMs, except for their horrible AR they used to use. And the fact that they sell Rec Specs for what I buy them from Liberty for. That's Liberty's problem and why I'll never give them one more cent.
    But some have had problems, and since they're one of the big dogs, they get bit back at by us teeny puppies.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    What's bad about posting true experiences?
    I agree. Or are we only allowed to say good things about them because they're the biggest?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I agree. Or are we only allowed to say good things about them because they're the biggest?
    Usually not allowed to say bad things but doesn't FezzJohns have a legal department we can drink with, I mean consult with on this matter. :cheers: We have a Sears near us that is similar they come over for their glasses on occasion, you never know who values quality.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Usually not allowed to say bad things but doesn't FezzJohns have a legal department we can drink with, I mean consult with on this matter. :cheers: We have a Sears near us that is similar they come over for their glasses on occasion, you never know who values quality.
    Yeah, but they are usually out doing "research".:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    While this sort of post can be entertaining, it is actually rather unprofessional and can be outright slanderous. Just a word of caution to be careful in a public forum of just how far you want to take the bashing of our competition.
    Wishing you all the very best

Brian~

Your point is taken and I will think about it more. However, I didn't post anything untrue, so therefore slander is not involved. Also, I wouldn't say that I even bashed the competition. Again, I just stated the facts.

To your point about the doctors. Being at a Wal-Mart does not make a doctor less professional, ethical, or less qualified. I will defend any "corporate" doctor that is truly a professional. And our current WM OD and the previous one are true professionals. When we see one of their scripts we always make a point to mention that they are fine Drs. I can't say the same for every private practice OD around here.

So I'm sure that you and your staff and the OD were great. I've seen it before (mostly in licensed states, which we are not).

But in this situation, they wouldn't even fix their own mistake. I fixed my mistakes and theirs.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes:).

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Has anyone seen the documentary, "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price?"
    If not, I would strongly recommend it. You think you dislike Wal-Mart now? Oh, just wait.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think Wal-Mart is like any other optical, same are great and some are horrible.

I worked at a Sear's Optical many years ago and I thought the doctor there was great. I saw almost no redos from him in the year I worked there and he was also very personable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

wm

cut the crapt guys, everthing your always ranting about i have had happen from od,s md,s, private opticians etc, and after 42 years i think i can speak with some authority.

If you really want something to rant about, try how they treat the employees in a lot of cases and the undue pressure put on them by management

Bad address email on file drhachey's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wal-Mart

I agree with Happy lady !
    But Harry, I have worked in WM for six all most seven years and have worked in many stores in my state and have not seen any poor treatment of associates, as far as the Vision Centers, they should always be there for the customers and they are in my Vision Center, but as Happylady says:I think Wal-Mart is like any other optical, same are great and some are horrible.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrock View Post
    Has anyone seen the documentary, "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price?"
    Hmm...sounds like my kind of movie.;)

Occupation
    Hmm...sounds like my kind of movie.;)

Since you dont have a TV, here you go... dont let the kids see you breaking the law :p

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...96181471292925

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Since you dont have a TV, here you go... dont let the kids see you breaking the law :p
    Thanks. I tried to watch it, but the sad music put me to sleep, and I couldn't stand all the whining and complaining! Stores go out of business all the time. They should suck it up and move on.

My goodness!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    cut the crapt guys, everthing your always ranting about i have had happen from od,s md,s, private opticians etc, and after 42 years i think i can speak with some authority.

Absolutely. It isn't at all just the WalMarts and the Costcos, it's industry wide and happens. I too enjoy when my patient's come in with a story about a competitor, who doesn't. I never bash anyone in front of my clients but it does make for some good lunch talk later.

Just last week a woman came in for glasses and was tellng me about her husband's issues with his that he got from a local private ODs office. Apparently they had made them eye for eye, then remade them. He still can't see but she claims he can see the TV if he turns them upside down and he can read better that way too. I asked her if he had taken them back again. She said yes but they refused to even look at them and told him it was all in his head. Hard to believe right? I have asked her to bring them in so I can take a peeky at them. It couldn't possibly be that they were made upside down could it? I can't wait to find out. If they are, I will be making a phone call on this patient's behalf.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Just last week a woman came in for glasses and was tellng me about her husband's issues with his that he got from a local private ODs office. Apparently they had made them eye for eye, then remade them. He still can't see but she claims he can see the TV if he turns them upside down and he can read better that way too. I asked her if he had taken them back again. She said yes but they refused to even look at them and told him it was all in his head. Hard to believe right? I have asked her to bring them in so I can take a peeky at them. It couldn't possibly be that they were made upside down could it? I can't wait to find out. If they are, I will be making a phone call on this patient's behalf.
    Yes, it can happen anywhere but their refusal to even look at them again is horrible.

It happened at my shop many years ago. A woman came in and said she was having problems seeing out of her new progressive glasses. She had brought them in a week ago and complained and was told she just needed to get used to them. She could see distance okay but reading was very bad.

So I told her I would try and figure out the problem and I looked at the lenses. I immediately saw from the laser marks that they lenses were eye for eye, backwards. I quickly switched them (it was one of those metal frames that they would fit in either way) and handed them back to her. I told her I had adjusted them and to see if that was better.

She was amazed! They were perfect.:) She went away happy.

I think what happened is that when they were tinted they were switched and they were never checked. The distance correction in her eyes were similar. It upset me that she had come back and the problem was not discovered, though.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Yeah, we also do a few sales to the Wal-Mart associates. They do not trust their own product.

Great job, and smart move with the warranty. I know many that would try to sell the boy a complete new pair.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Yeah, we also do a few sales to the Wal-Mart associates. They do not trust their own product.
    I suspect that many of the Walmart associates that buy glasses elsewhere have optical insurance through their spouses that they use to buy glasses.
    Last edited by Happylady; 10-12-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Occupation
    Thanks. I tried to watch it, but the sad music put me to sleep, and I couldn't stand all the whining and complaining! Stores go out of business all the time. They should suck it up and move on.

My goodness!
    Forward to 1 hr into the movie, they get off the "wal-mart put me out of business, poor me" and discuss the walmart purchsing decisions abroad.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I suspect that many of the Walmart associates that buy glasses else wear have optical insurance through their spouses that they use to buy glasses.
    Well here, we do not have the same vision plans. None of that Davis stuff. Instead, we get a flat amount to use anywhere at optical stores. So like $250 for glasses, every two years.

Anyways, most bought from us due to our selection and they were annoyed with Wal-Mart's pitiful 10% off retail policy for glasses.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hint, you have a few walmart opticians on here. Doesn't look good on your part when you bash them.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    Hint, you have a few walmart opticians on here. Doesn't look good on your part when you bash them.
    Very true.

The key thing MarcE did post that it was "associates" not opticians. I am assuming that there are a lot of unlicensed workers in that Wal-Mart store. So I think that was more his point.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wal Mart has actually taken a fairly strong stance on national certification at the least. When I managed, either you were already certified, or you GOT certified within 1 year. If not, your job was forfeit. They were VERY clear about this. They aslo have in place a rather comprehensive training program, far more in depth than any I've ever seen in any office prior. This was, in my own limited guess, in direct respinse to their higher than average turn-over. It became necissary as trained and certified opticians would not as a very general rule stay long term with the company.

Thread Information