Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furious with frame manufacturer

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Furious with frame manufacturer

I carry quite a few Vera Bradley ophthalmics, suns, and 1/2 eyes. They sell well for us, and they usually don't come back for repairs. Each comes with a matching Vera Bradley case. Recently, our office had a fire. About 10 out of 40 cases were ruined in the fire. I called the vendor and was told there is NO way we can purchase more cases by them selves. What a crock of cr*p! I am not asking for FREE cases, I want to PURCHASE the exact # of cases lost in the fire (soot/smoke damage), which is 10, maybe 12. At this rate, I will sell off my VB’s (50% off to unload them quickly), and just NEVER put any of their product on my board again. I don’t care how popular a specific designer is... If a vendor cannot give me at least the same good service equal to that which I give MY customers, I am certainly not going to sell their eyeglass frames!! :angry:
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Before you toss the line, let me give you the perspective of the frame manufacturer. When an account requests additional cases, there is a suspicion that they are trying to pass off counterfeit product. I personally have had this happen and had to tell the customer I could not help him, especially since he hadn't ordered any product for almost 2 years, but needed 24 cases to do a window display????

Obviously this is not why you asked for cases. Unfortunately you called and got a "customer service" person that gave you no service at all. Call your rep and explain the situation. If they can't get this resolved, then I would agree that the best thing to do is end the business relationship.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper communication needed..............

Quote Originally Posted by Ineed Chocolate View Post
    If a vendor cannot give me at least the same good service equal to that which I give MY customers, I am certainly not going to sell their eyeglass frames!!
    It is possible that the importer vendor gets these frames with the case as a package. If that is thecase he can not give any extras because he will have frames without the case. This could bbe a double problem. Maybe he can get some for you.................maybe it takes a bit more communication.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    Before you toss the line, let me give you the perspective of the frame manufacturer. When an account requests additional cases, there is a suspicion that they are trying to pass off counterfeit product. I personally have had this happen and had to tell the customer I could not help him, especially since he hadn't ordered any product for almost 2 years, but needed 24 cases to do a window display????

Obviously this is not why you asked for cases. Unfortunately you called and got a "customer service" person that gave you no service at all. Call your rep and explain the situation. If they can't get this resolved, then I would agree that the best thing to do is end the business relationship.
    True, but the company could have at least put forth some effort to check it out.

I think it is a policy without any insight. You have the people on the phone who have been told by their bosses (probably yelled at) "no uncertain circumstances do you sell it without x amount."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't be mad at them for doing what there Boss told them to do if that is the case.

I would definately contact your rep. If it can be done, they will find a way to do it.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think what Chris said has merit. I would imagine when a distributor orders styles made, they also order X amount of cases, could be they simply don't have extra's.

As far as a "signature" case....Do your patients know that these frames come with a Vera Bradley case? Probably not. Why not order some nice leather cases to make up the difference that you need? I'm sure most patients won't care.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try Ebay, I saw all the POP type stuff on there.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You never know how good a company/rep is until you need them.

People often start fires and burn their offices down in an attempt to get a $3 case. I see their point. You are way out of line on this one!;)

A few years ago, I opened an office in the big city. Four months later, I rec'd a letter from the big city telling me they were going to take the building by eminent domain.

I posted it for sale on Optiboard, as well as E-bay. I was selling the entire practice, lock, stock, & barrel. From the frames, to the displays, to the stapler and paper clips.

In the listing of what was included, I listed all the brand names of the frames. Not specific models, just the names.

The day after I listed it on E-bay, I got a call from one of the sunglass companies. I won't tell you their name, but it rhyms with "Howie Tim."
    They said that if I didn't take the listing off, they were going to sue me for selling their frames on the internet!:hammer: I explained the situation, and they said. "Too bad, it still doesn't give you the right to sell our products online." This coming from a company that sells the majority of their products at a big box retailer. They were the only company that complained.

Since then, I have opened 3 more offices for myself, and 4 offices fo other opticians and Ods. I was sure to tell the new practitioners of my experience, and of course will not carry it myself.

Many of these companies are too blind to see past the moment, and realize how their actions of today affect their sales of tomorrow.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vera Bradley

Indeed,
    You are totally correct. Folish business practice.Some bus. people just cannot "think outside the box!"
    James :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sure your rep will take care of you. The customer service people are like robots most of the time.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by James Peterson View Post
    Indeed,
    You are totally correct. Folish business practice.Some bus. people just cannot "think outside the box!"
    James :cheers:
    You meen....outside the case :shiner:
    History Reapeats Itself

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Try Ebay, I saw all the POP type stuff on there.
    Not any more. I bought it all so I can sell counterfeit Vera Bradleys.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not asking for FREE cases, I want to PURCHASE the exact # of cases lost in the fire (soot/smoke damage), which is 10, maybe 12.
    Send them in for warranty replacement

Occupation

Chris is Right

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    It is possible that the importer vendor gets these frames with the case as a package. If that is thecase he can not give any extras because he will have frames without the case.
    BINGO

Everything is imported prepackaged with cases.

It is never as simple as it seems.

Try and order a frame only without a case.

Rep

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    BINGO

Everything is imported prepackaged with cases.

It is never as simple as it seems.

Try and order a frame only without a case.

Rep

I'm not buying that for a minute. I've never met a frame manufacturers that makes cases. In fact, they source out the most basic of parts including the nosepads, temple tips, and guard arms. The cases are purchased by the distributor that will brand the product.

Occupation
    Even if the product comes in with one case per frame, there are always extra cases from the frames that the reps have in their bags. Most reps also have customers in their territory that use personalized cases and don't use the case that comes with the frame. This is a very small # of cases that Ineed Chocolate requires. This is not an impossible request. I'm sorry that I don't handle the Vera Bradley line or I would help you out. Hopefully you have a rep that cares about their customers. This is truly an opportunity for them to shine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper HOORAY! An answer from the vendor

Since the fire, I haven't had much time to do anything but get dirty, but I did send an email to the McGee group and I had a response from them. I am to let them know exactly which cases I need and they will take care of it for me. As it turns out, I only need 8, so I think they are going to help me. Thanks for all your input. I knew my Optiboard friends would give me a variety of opinions!
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    Most reps also have customers in their territory that use personalized cases and don't use the case that comes with the frame.
    When I bought from reps, I always had them mark my account "No cases". I did this for two reasons. One is that you save a ton of shipping. The other is that if you have to return them, it's a pain scrounding up the cases to send with them, and you pay to ship them all over again.

I do make an exception for suns.

Occupation

Sample Lines are Without Cases

It cost too much in shipping to send cases with sample lines. They don't have cases with them. We don't throw them away. Reorders where they replace sample line units sold from the bag do come with cases - so I have maybe 10 lying around.

Johns more that 50% of my styles come pre packaged with cases, certificates, cleaning cloths and warranty information. Lux does in fact manufacture them along with the rep sample bags.

Only distributiors who are not manufacturers have to worry about cases.

Fail to send back a return to Lux without a case and it is a $6 charge per case. It cost a lot to send cases from Italy.

FYI

Rep

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It cost too much in shipping to send cases with sample lines. They don't have cases with them. We don't throw them away. Reorders where they replace sample line units sold from the bag do come with cases - so I have maybe 10 lying around.

Johns more that 50% of my styles come pre packaged with cases, certificates, cleaning cloths and warranty information. Lux does in fact manufacture them along with the rep sample bags.

Fail to send back a return to Lux without a case and it is a $6 charge per case. It cost a lot to send cases from Italy.

FYI

Rep
    Can you order your frames without cases for $6 less?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

FYI

Rep
    That's good to know!:cheers:

I know that Lux is not your run of the mill manufacturer, and you could probably order a frame that comes w/ a suit if you wanted.:D

The $6 fee illustrates my point about why I don't accept cases. I buy hard cases, and they usually cost about as much as a pr. of nose pads. Since Lux is the maufacturer, I'm sure they can get the cost down even lower.

$6? Plus shipping from NY, then Shipping it back? The poor OD would have $13 in shipping alone!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    When I bought from reps, I always had them mark my account "No cases". I did this for two reasons. One is that you save a ton of shipping. The other is that if you have to return them, it's a pain scrounding up the cases to send with them, and you pay to ship them all over again.

I do make an exception for suns.
    I never thought of that...what a great idea!
    --Carl Jung

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never thought of that...what a great idea!
    Are you sure the returns department has a record that you never got the cases?
    I bet you even if you can get frames from Lux, Saf, or March without cases they would hit you for the case when you return the frame!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Are you sure the returns department has a record that you never got the cases?
    I bet you even if you can get frames from Lux, Saf, or March without cases they would hit you for the case when you return the frame!
    Back in the day (before I saw the light) when I did buy from the big guys, I'd always write "check account/No cases purchased). I never had a problem.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ain't nothing free...

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Can you order your frames without cases for $6 less?
    Yeah right!!

That's just another little profit center they built into their model. It's a "Free" case right? Then why are they charging you when you keep it?

I've asked for $$ off, since I'm not getting their case, but to no avail. I still come out ahead though, considering the shipping.

My philosophy on frame buying: If it comes with points, gift cards, TVs, lunch, dinner, or a "free" case...then they are charging me too much.

Thread Information