Thread: To dispense or not?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

To dispense or not?

Recently, in the past 2 months, when I was checking in jobs I noted that my PD marker was marking on 1-side or the other of the lenses. In school I learned that ARC lenses are hydrophobic. So, I called my lab and asked them why this was occuring--pd marker not beading up. At the lab's request I sent all of the jobs like this to 1 persons attention. I was told that the lab missed the arc on 1-side. Then I was directed to a supervisor who told me the arc was on both sides--but it was only the hydrophobic coating that was missing. To me there was a big "word play" on whether or not the arc was on both sides are not. Damn it! The hydrophobic coating is part of a "complete arc lens!" The supervisor mailed me a felt pen and told me to apply the coating myself. Howerver, the pen's directions said to shake, twist till you hear glass break, apply , and throw away. This is something I had never heard off, it was a 1x use pen, and I was still recieving jobs without the final ARCoting. The problem was not resolved. I was left in terrible situation, and did not know what to do. Is this a common occurence? I changed employers last week and are afraid to '''really check" another job again! What have ya'll seen with this?

Would YOU dispense ARC lenses that do not have the hydrophobic coating ontop?

Without the final coat, ARC are even harder to to keep clear, right?

OptiStudent is asking.........so plz. don't butcher me with replies to my ignorance. I DO really want to know.
    Last edited by OptiStudent; 10-04-2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: .

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Hydrophobic coating history....................

Quote Originally Posted by OptiStudent View Post
    Without the final coat, ARC are even harder to to keep clear, right?

OptiStudent is asking.........so plz. don't butcher me with replies to my ignorance. I DO really want to know.
    I invented the hydrophobic coating principle in 1987 on the suggestion of Bob Cooper in Vancouver who claimed that salt water droplets in the air were hard to remove on AR coatings.

The first lab to use it was I-Coat in California then followed by Essilor USA 6 month later. Essilor Canada stated that it was a no good idea because it had not been an invention that had come out of France.

The first coating and for many years was the OMS dip system until the pills got introduced that could be evaporated under vacuum thereby reducing the extra step. Today both systems are still in use and the base materials are the same.

The only exception is that the dip system can be used by anybody, even retailers that can apply it on non treated AR coatings, while the pill needs the help of the vacuum coating machine. Actually retailers can save a lot of money by purchasing non hydrophic AR lenses and applying them in house. There is also a version available that has anti-fog and anti-stat properties.

The main use this days is really to make AR coating easy to clean.

Go on my website at http://optochemicals.com scroll down the main page to the Hydrophobic item and you will find many links to lots of information on this subject.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it's just the hydrophobic coating, that's not going to effect the coating itself. It's still going to work as an AR. That being said, if the patient payed for it, then no, I'd return it. Chances are, YOU also payed for it. Having a lab tell me to "do it myself" is rediculous, especially if it's something they charged me for in the first place. I'd start looking at a new lab options.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    If it's just the hydrophobic coating, that's not going to effect the coating itself. It's still going to work as an AR. That being said, if the patient payed for it, then no, I'd return it. Chances are, YOU also payed for it. Having a lab tell me to "do it myself" is rediculous, especially if it's something they charged me for in the first place. I'd start looking at a new lab options.

Ditto!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would also say DITTO to what AdmiralKnight said.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are still receiving ARs without the hydrophobic coating? I would be angry and speak to someone in charge at the lab. It is NOT acceptable that they continue to send you work that is sub par. Do you have to use this lab?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's time to find a new lab for sure! I'm sure you'll find many labs that would be, more than happy, to take on a new account. Good luck! :o

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Having a lab tell me to "do it myself" is rediculous, especially if it's something they charged me for in the first place. I'd start looking at a new lab options.
    I have the feeling you did not understand the point I was trying to make. In today's economy having the lab do it will cost you so or so much, but whatever it is they have to make some money on it.

If you do it yourself you will have the same cost as the lab, therefore you save yourself a bundle and if you charge the patient the same as if done by the lab your 60 miles ahead. On the other hand you can charge less and still be ahead.

Banned
    Occupation
    Reorder the lenses from a reputable lab rush. If you need, let the customers wear the incorrectly manufactured lenses until the reorder comes in. Then send all faulty product for credit. It sounds like they want to argue with you, when they are screwing up continuously. I would not use this lab anymore.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I have the feeling you did not understand the point I was trying to make. In today's economy having the lab do it will cost you so or so much, but whatever it is they have to make some money on it.

If you do it yourself you will have the same cost as the lab, therefore you save yourself a bundle and if you charge the patient the same as if done by the lab your 60 miles ahead. On the other hand you can charge less and still be ahead.
    Yeah, but he is talking about a lab mess up, not how to lower his costs.

Send it back!

Bad address email on file Dougfir8's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think the lab will not be willing to redo it in many cases of premium lenses. They often need uncut lenses for many of the AR processes, so would need a new set of lenses. This is very spendy and take more time if they are photochromic or high index PAL's. You will need to be persistent and assertive!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Life's too short to deal with idiots.

Dump 'em !
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation

The LAB

I could not dump the lab, it was my former employer's lab--chain employees sitting in a retail store do not choose the lab to use. I worked my 2 week notice and have moved on. TY for the replies, I did not think this "normal."
    Last edited by OptiStudent; 05-30-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: ...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiStudent View Post
    I could not dump the lab, it was my former employer's lab--US Vision. I worked my 2 week notice and have moved on. TY for the replies, I did not think this "normal."

Good for you.

Thread Information