Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Another Look at Sarah Palin's Glasses...

  1. #1
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7

    Another Look at Sarah Palin's Glasses...

    Greetings, I am new to optiboard and have been a dispensing optician for close to 9 years now. Over the last month I have recieved several inquiries and comments about Sarah Palin's Kawasaki eyeglasses that are all the rage.

    I was watching the debate this evening and noticed that when she turns her head, there's no displacement of her face line/the image behind the lens. This leads me to believe she has little to no correction, and could possibly be wearing them for the age old addage of 'making her look smarter'?

    I'm sure this is not generally a political forum, nor am I trying to start an ugly debate about who-is-voting-for-who... But I found it interesting and thought other opticians might be able to appreciate this small observation.

    Image is important in our culture and we all have patients who have purchased glasses 'just for the look of it' without correction. Anyone else have any thoughts on the possibility she is wearing glasses to change people's perception about her?


  2. #2
    One of the worst people here
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by OculusSinister View Post
    Greetings, I am new to optiboard and have been a dispensing optician for close to 9 years now. Over the last month I have recieved several inquiries and comments about Sarah Palin's Kawasaki eyeglasses that are all the rage.

    I was watching the debate this evening and noticed that when she turns her head, there's no displacement of her face line/the image behind the lens. This leads me to believe she has little to no correction, and could possibly be wearing them for the age old addage of 'making her look smarter'?

    I'm sure this is not generally a political forum, nor am I trying to start an ugly debate about who-is-voting-for-who... But I found it interesting and thought other opticians might be able to appreciate this small observation.

    Image is important in our culture and we all have patients who have purchased glasses 'just for the look of it' without correction. Anyone else have any thoughts on the possibility she is wearing glasses to change people's perception about her?

    They are probably PALs with little distance correction. Makes sense.

  3. #3
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    They are probably PALs with little distance correction. Makes sense.
    Even a low-add pal should add SOME distortion esp. in the peripheral... I only posted one picture but I have watched her intently on television and in pictures and I don't see distortion at ANY angle?

  4. #4
    Master OptiBoarder rinselberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    2,287
    Fascinating post here, OculusSinister. Worthy of the CIA's technical division! I try to refrain from butting into technical discussions like this that are actually over my head, but this one is exceptional.

    Were you watching the debate in High Definition format?

    I didn't watch any of the debate. I was watching the baseball playoff games. So I have no idea about the validity of your observations.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-03-2008 at 08:27 AM.

  5. #5
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    On the road to winter home in Naples FL by car.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    17,984
    Blog Entries
    3

    Redhot Jumper believe she has little to no correction................

    Quote Originally Posted by OculusSinister View Post
    I was watching the debate this evening and noticed that when she turns her head, there's no displacement of her face line/the image behind the lens. This leads me to believe she has little to no correction, and could possibly be wearing them for the age old addage of 'making her look smarter'?
    Very nice observation \...........like Rinselberg said.................

    I watched last night and never even thougtht to look for what you did.
    If I am not wrong, I read that she purchased 5 pairs just before getting introduced as possible VP. She might just have them to look more mature.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  6. #6
    Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,377
    Fascinating. I watched briefly and kept looking for some sort of image-size differential between the portion of her face behind the lenses and the portion outside. I noticed nothing. That got me to pull out the old Time magazine issue with her full-frontal (face only, folks ), and if there's any magnification at all it looks very subtle to me, so much so that I could easily pass it off as an illusion.

    Nice post, Oculus, and welcome to OptiBoard! :cheers::cheers:
    Andrew

    "One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

  7. #7
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southern CA now
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    628
    I noticed this too back when she first started but thought I was wrong.

    I do recall someone posting something from her optician about her having a "slight astigmatism correction."

    But it wouldnow make sense why she doesn't have AR. If you have no correction and want to look ________ by wearing glasses, why would you have AR coating applied so it looks like there's no lens? :D:hammer:

  8. #8
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter optical24/7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tx.
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    4,202
    I was looking for reflections last night. It appeared she had AR put on them since last I saw her on TV.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    13,002
    I was about to say I had seen a slight indentation in the picture as though she had a slight (less than one diopter) in them at 180, and I think the woman is old enough to be presbyoptic, but looking at the picture again, looks like dead on plano on bothe eyes, or possibly a hair of plus in the O.D. as the right eye looks a smidgen larger.

    Chip

  10. #10
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7
    Well I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking these glasses are for image purposes only.

    In terms of her purchasing 5 pairs before recieving her VP nod this is probably because kawasaki drill mounts cannot be assembled/serviced on site. In order to put that AR on her lenses she had to send them to the main lab which I believe is in California? I had a fellow optician friend who carries the line and says it's a real pain to inform someone their very expensive pair of glasses has to be sent out to have lenses or parts replaced. I'll stick to three piece mounts I can put together and take apart myself.

    As for my CIA-like obeservation I think it just implies I need a hobby and a vacation ;) Thanks for the feedback guys... my non-optical spouse/friends gave me the "deer in headlights" look.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    13,002
    Quite possible she has correction in some glasses but does not choose to wear the for public and TV appearance (Those with a lot of plus or a lot of minus or even a lot of cylinder can alter one's appearance a bit). She may feel "naked" without any glasses at all as she might wear them for day to day tasks all the time but doesn't want to appear "bug eyed" or some similar bad image with Rx in them.

    Chip

  12. #12
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter optical24/7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tx.
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    4,202
    Quote Originally Posted by OculusSinister View Post
    Well I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking these glasses are for image purposes only.

    In terms of her purchasing 5 pairs before recieving her VP nod this is probably because kawasaki drill mounts cannot be assembled/serviced on site. In order to put that AR on her lenses she had to send them to the main lab which I believe is in California? I had a fellow optician friend who carries the line and says it's a real pain to inform someone their very expensive pair of glasses has to be sent out to have lenses or parts replaced. I'll stick to three piece mounts I can put together and take apart myself.

    .

    Just curious, I've never seen the kawasaki line up-front before. What makes them so difficult to mount that you have to send them to a special lab?

  13. #13
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    49
    Any lab can make lenses for Kawasakis. I used to work for a shop that carried them and we sent them to Walman's. It's the other brands from Italee that have to be done there because the lens is actually bonded to the frame. The Kawasaki's are great, because they are tool-less. They just press together and pull apart...

  14. #14
    Optician Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere warm
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,942
    I thought I read on this board that she was nearsighted with some astigmatism and that she didn't need a reading correction. I agree that they don't look very strong.

  15. #15
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    On the road to winter home in Naples FL by car.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    17,984
    Blog Entries
    3

    Redhot Jumper problems solved..............

    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I thought I read on this board that she was nearsighted with some astigmatism and that she didn't need a reading correction. I agree that they don't look very strong.

    Happy you just solved the puzzle...............................she's wearing contact lenses to see.................and glasses to look sophisticated.

    Problem solved.........................:cheers:
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  16. #16
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    WV
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    198
    Blog Entries
    1
    WHO CARES!!!!

  17. #17
    Master OptiBoarder Ginster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Midlothian, Tx.
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    474

    Just a thaught...

    Do you think she's trying to make John McCain look younger???:hammer::hammer:

  18. #18
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,826
    I figured all the opticians were noticing the same thing as I was. Those lenses are NOT Rx. Not even a tiny bit of displacement. I would bet she does wear CLs since her early pics show no glasses. Her later pics do even the ones outdoors with a dead moose. Maybe we should look at the earlier pics to see if we can pick anything up.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    13,002
    Why not just ask her, she seems to be an honest woman (hard to concieve in a politician)? I am sure she would share.

  20. #20
    ABOC, NCLEC, COT nickrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Posts
    207
    I wish there was a "smiley" to my right that shows a face puking.

  21. #21
    ABOC-NCLEC tigerlilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    my computer
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I figured all the opticians were noticing the same thing as I was. Those lenses are NOT Rx. Not even a tiny bit of displacement. I would bet she does wear CLs since her early pics show no glasses. Her later pics do even the ones outdoors with a dead moose. Maybe we should look at the earlier pics to see if we can pick anything up.
    There was a picture floating around a few weeks ago taken during her first pregnancy, almost 20 years ago. She was wearing big, ugly, 80s Sally Jesse Raphael glasses in it.

  22. #22
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,826
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Quite possible she has correction in some glasses but does not choose to wear the for public and TV appearance (Those with a lot of plus or a lot of minus or even a lot of cylinder can alter one's appearance a bit). She may feel "naked" without any glasses at all as she might wear them for day to day tasks all the time but doesn't want to appear "bug eyed" or some similar bad image with Rx in them.

    Chip
    I'll go with this explanation. Some campaign candid photos show a lot of shadows and reflections. I would say they made her a second pair sans Rx for certain speaking and formal photo engagements.

  23. #23
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    On the road to winter home in Naples FL by car.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    17,984
    Blog Entries
    3

    Redhot Jumper "want to be VP"................................

    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I'll go with this explanation. Some campaign candid photos show a lot of shadows and reflections. I would say they made her a second pair sans Rx for certain speaking and formal photo engagements.
    Here you go opticians ..................a new niche to make money.

    Advertise plano high end Sarah glasses as the new "want to be VP" is wearing.

    "No need for eye exam, no Rx needed, no PD, no seg height, no distortion, full warranty of 2 years. Special "want to be VP" discount."

    :D :hammer:
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  24. #24
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southern CA now
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Why not just ask her, she seems to be an honest woman (hard to concieve in a politician)? I am sure she would share.

    I don't know chip, I'd be afraid if I asked she'd tell me about her shoes or something instead.;)

  25. #25
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Greatest Nation
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    7,635
    Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    I don't know chip, I'd be afraid if I asked she'd tell me about her shoes or something instead.;)
    Or shoot you from a plane.;)
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. "Do you have the Sarah Palin glasses?"
    By Visionista in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 08:33 AM
  2. Speaking of Sarah Palin's eyewear..
    By Barry Santini in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 04:03 PM
  3. Sarah Palin's drill mount glasses
    By shelleygirl in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 03:19 PM
  4. String Mount Shape very similar to Sarah Palin's
    By Barry Santini in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
FEA Industries, Younger Optics, Carl Zeiss Vision, Vision Systems, Inc. and Chemistrie Eyewear