Thread: Fingerprinting

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Fingerprinting

Since when did the Dept of Consumer Affairs in the State of New Jersy require that you be fingerprinted in order to have your license renewed? Has anyone else been fingerprinted or am I the first?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This will be the first year that the state of Ohio will require fingerprints, but is only for new applicants. I guess it has its good and bad points, depending on what side of the fence you might be on.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    A way for the state to generate more revenue.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ecymosis View Post
    Since when did the Dept of Consumer Affairs in the State of New Jersy require that you be fingerprinted in order to have your license renewed? Has anyone else been fingerprinted or am I the first?
    Fingerprinted NO, but all new Opticians here in BC have to submit to a Criminal Records Search as part of their registration under our provincial Health Professions Act legislation. Apparantly they screen for sexual-related convictions and anything violence-related.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Since about 2005.

All new Apprentices had to submit fingerprints along with their applications. We were grandfathered in for some time. I submitted my prints this past April. The state doesn't get any of the money. Trust me, they make enough in our license fees. But the company who, I suppose, won the no bid contract to take our prints is making all the money.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

prints

Well look at the bright side, that should stop all the crooked opticians from working in new jersey,Hmmmmmm

I also remember and maybe its still true, back in the 70,s you had to have a license in jersey to grind lenses, i was sent to the east orange lab to help work out a problem and the plant manager told me i could not work there, so i went back to the new york office.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If my memory is correct, I had to do fingerprinting for the california medical board.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The state started fingerprinting last year. Everyone I know (opticians) were required to be fingerprinted in order to remain active and continue to work. I had no problem with it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

When you arrive at a US airports as a foreigner the immigration officer has you put the index finger on a small optical scanner and it gets electronically registered. I don't see a problem with it.

Like 2 years ago when I had an MRI and flew to Flrorida next day, all the alarms went off at US immigration at the Montreal airport as their detection devices smelled radioactivity. I got checked out and and the result was........no atom bomb and only medially radioactive.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    When you arrive at a US airports as a foreigner the immigration officer has you put the index finger on a small optical scanner and it gets electronically registered. I don't see a problem with it.

Like 2 years ago when I had an MRI and flew to Flrorida next day, all the alarms went off at US immigration at the Montreal airport as their detection devices smelled radioactivity. I got checked out and and the result was........no atom bomb and only medially radioactive.
    I heard a funny (sort of) story from my old DAC rep. They had brought out their dri-pak polish so you didn't have to pay for shipping all that water by buying the polish in a powder form. So he was at the Cleveland airport geting ready to fly out to some clients, and he opened his trunk to put some samples into his bag. So there he was in the parking lot transferring bags of white powder from one suitcase into another when suddenly there was a cold gun barrel at his neck. Seems the security cameras had caught him making his transfer and thought he was smuggling large amounts of cocaine.It took some really fast talking in the security room to get them even to consider that it might be something other than drugs.
    Airport security could be scary, even 20 years ago.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Today, fingerprinting, tommarow retinal scanns, the day after DNA.

"We shall meet in the place of no darkness."

Thread Information