24 51.06%
  • I like pickles. :)

13 27.66%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To staff or UNDERstaff...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To staff or UNDERstaff...

An interesting question seems to have come up in a thread here recently, and I'm wondering how many of you feel that your office/practice is under, over or perfectly staffed. Certainly, we all have busy times throughout the day, but are you constantly feeling like you're playing catch-up? Are you always ahead of the game with time to spare? Or are you someplace in the middle?

If you feel you're understaffed, is it a question of efficiency, lack of teamwork, over-complicated procedures or simply poor staff knowledge or work-ethic?

If overstaffed, not enough work coming in the door?

Just right...whats your secret? :)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Right now, i think we are just right.

We have gone through some serious growth recently, and i think we have found a pretty good spot as far as personel

now if someone gets injured, or seriously ill, it will quickly turn into understaffed.

we are riding that fine line

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wink We just hired another Optician . . . .

and another Tech and that put us in the just right category.

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I voted for "I like pickles" and I'm not alone.

We have everyone that we can afford, Diane, the High School Kid and myself. Everything is wunnerfull. ;) ;)

:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We put on a night guy back in June, and it's the best thing we ever did! He comes in around 7:30 PM, and works until around 2:30 AM. He gets all the excess edging done, plus cleans the office when he runs out of work.
    Our regular lab guy is also an optician, so he can work the floor all he needs to w/out worring about falling behind on the edging.

We're set!:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I find, and I do not know if you notice this yourselves, but some owners use amount of staff as a ego thing. I had one optician ask me how many members we had in our office. When I told her, she turned around and said "well we have six." I never thought my ego was a reason to add staff members to the business.

FYI - I hate pickles. They are disgusting

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I find, and I do not know if you notice this yourselves, but some owners use amount of staff as a ego thing. I had one optician ask me how many members we had in our office. When I told her, she turned around and said "well we have six." I never thought my ego was a reason to add staff members to the business.
    Egotistical response - "Well each of our employees generates $400K per year. What is your annual gross per employee?"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    and it's the best thing we ever did! He comes in around 7:30 PM, and works until around 2:30 AM. He gets all the excess edging done, plus cleans the office when he runs out of work.
    That is super cool!! I need one of those. How ever did you find him?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    That is super cool!! I need one of those. How ever did you find him?
    Optiboard? Where else?:D

No really, I did. He was looking for help w/an edger, and I sold ended up selling him an AIT for $100.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28544

When he picked up the edger, he mentioned he was a stay at home dad. The light went off in my head and I thought that this could work out real well! .

It has!:cheers: (Thanks Will!)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I go with woefully understaffed - but it's not for a lack of trying. Trying to find someone... anyone... with optical experience here is like finding a chicken with teeth!

steff

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I need a position like that!

I chose understaffed. In a perfect world, ie no one misses work, or gets off track, we might be just sqeaking. AKA, there is still some patients getting voicemail during working hours and having to wait for assistance.

However, with one working on being a rockstar (yes, I am serious here) another who is a student that has been offered an internship in a more suitable field for her major, and myself having to take time off to assist my family, it is getting difficult to juggle it all, and some things are slipping through the cracks.

After we lost our last full-timer, we replaced her with a part-timer, for the one office only. They assume that I should be able to always run the other office by myself 2-3 days a week. Which really puts me and the patients in a bind if I am with my mom at the ER, have a sick kid, or other such family issues..(especially when they were told of appts, etc..)
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I say our office is understaffed not only because of numbers, but also (as Uilleann pointed out) lack of teamwork. Morale is very, very low in the clinic right now, and some key staff members have dug in their heels and taken a "that's not my department" stand. Our newest assistant, who is still in training, is not taking the initiative to do anything unless told...which makes her really more of a hindrance than anything. And the part-timers (who each only work once a week) aren't really part of the "team".

I'm saying this as I just got home from working at the clinic from 9:15 am to 9:30 pm... I'm very, very, very bitter at the moment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm View Post
    I say our office is understaffed not only because of numbers, but also (as Uilleann pointed out) lack of teamwork. Morale is very, very low in the clinic right now, and some key staff members have dug in their heels and taken a "that's not my department" stand. Our newest assistant, who is still in training, is not taking the initiative to do anything unless told...which makes her really more of a hindrance than anything. And the part-timers (who each only work once a week) aren't really part of the "team".

I'm saying this as I just got home from working at the clinic from 9:15 am to 9:30 pm... I'm very, very, very bitter at the moment.
    What a total BUMMER!

Maybe they need a visit from a member of the FezzJohns, Inc Motivational and Comedic Speaking Dept!!!

I'll put the team on alert!

Hang in there!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

OptiBoard Professional Leighlee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No bad we can't spread the work around

Our practice opened a satellite office 45 mins from the main office and so far optical is very slow, the clinic is doing fine, but few patients are coming over to check out frames and purchase glasses. Most take their RX and run. So I have plenty of time to sit and think about ways to bring in more business.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    mlm, I'm sorry to hear you're having such problems with staff. I think it's tough to find people who are both skilled and who are able to take initiative, and who don't have that "big company" attitude that says "I only do what's in my job description."

Most of the folks I've worked for -- opticians and ODs alike -- have set the tone, being willing to do anything that needed doing including answering the phone, cleaning the toilet, etc. Is there an attitude coming "from the top" that may be encouraging the kind of problem you're having with staff?

As to our staffing: We have one front desk/insurance filer person, one optometric tech, one office manager/general factotum and me. We could probably use a half-time optometric tech, but I suspect that if our new office manager gets more confident in her tech skills (she's new to it), she could fill that gap. If we get busier than we are now, we'll need another person, hopefully one who can do tech half-time and optical half-time. Those folks aren't easy to find. :hammer:
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I feel fortunate to have found the job I have now. After jobs where there was literally nothing to do, and jobs where no one wanted to help out anyone else, this place is a blessing! Everyone here has a primary task, but we're also all cross-trained to fill in when needed. Myself, I'm the receptionist, but I also do the pre-test and retinal photos when the regular person is away or busy.

I think they key here is that we all like each other (generally) and we're all willing to dig in when we have to.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Would you rather

Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    I go with woefully understaffed - but it's not for a lack of trying. Trying to find someone... anyone... with optical experience here is like finding a chicken with teeth!

steff
    Personally - I PreFER FOLKS WITH NO OPTICAL BACKGROUND - MOST OF The TIME -
    I have come to the conclusion - that it is SO much better - and especially easier to train the right person the way you want them to work-
    I think it is actually more work ( For myself) in the long run - trying to change (TRAINED ) associates BAD habits - and to get them to operate the way you want them to -
    I don't understand why many offices are always looking for folks with experience - or put those folks with experience in front of others with out - optical backgrounds. I can teach ALMOST anyone the easy part of it (OPTICS) - however it is much harder if not impossible to TEACH --- Drive-- Dedication - and people skills -

therefore - i have come to a conclusion some time ago - that when i am out and about - i am always looking for that PERFECT associate - and i think almost everyone knows when they see those stellar associates working for company's -- YOU just know it when you see them working in there own environment - and THOSE ARE the ones i try to recruit and hire .
    I am curious - from everyone here - DO Most of you continue to look for folks - even if you do not have a position open currently- ? or do you wait - until the position opens up - or something hits the fan - and everyone is in crisis mode - to get a BODY to fill the position ?
    I have been burned to many times- to go about things this way - any longer - ! I have also come to realize that the MAJORITY of those TOP performers - will not be just walking in to fill out a application ! these folks are already working for someone - and it is our jobs as hiring managers - to be able to go out and find them - and get them on your team -

Sometimes - ( although VERY rare ) - a walk in - or response to a ad - or sign in the window - will work out - however - it is at BEST a 50-50 shot - since these folks looking are either unhappy at something at there current job - or even worse - may not be employed for say performance issues - since most responsible PEOPLE do not quit jobs - with out already having one lined up

LIke i mentioned - personally - i rather go and find someone - myself - with NO experience - and train them OUR WAY - !!

Would love to hear how you all view this subject - !!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are perfect. A secritary who know's alot about contact and some about glasses, a Dr.'s Assisant, the O.D./Owner, and myself, optician. I handle all aspects of glasses. If I get a little busy, most of my patients are willing to wait or come back.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting responses so far. Especially about pickles. ;)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bt5050 View Post
    I have come to the conclusion - that it is SO much better - and especially easier to train the right person the way you want them to work-
    I think it is actually more work ( For myself) in the long run - trying to change (TRAINED ) associates BAD habits - and to get them to operate the way you want them to -
    I don't understand why many offices are always looking for folks with experience - or put those folks with experience in front of others with out - optical backgrounds. I can teach ALMOST anyone the easy part of it (OPTICS) - however it is much harder if not impossible to TEACH --- Drive-- Dedication - and people skills -

therefore - i have come to a conclusion some time ago - that when i am out and about - i am always looking for that PERFECT associate - and i think almost everyone knows when they see those stellar associates working for company's -- YOU just know it when you see them working in there own environment - and THOSE ARE the ones i try to recruit and hire .
    I am curious - from everyone here - DO Most of you continue to look for folks - even if you do not have a position open currently- ? or do you wait - until the position opens up - or something hits the fan - and everyone is in crisis mode - to get a BODY to fill the position ?
    I have been burned to many times- to go about things this way - any longer - ! I have also come to realize that the MAJORITY of those TOP performers - will not be just walking in to fill out a application ! these folks are already working for someone - and it is our jobs as hiring managers - to be able to go out and find them - and get them on your team -

Sometimes - ( although VERY rare ) - a walk in - or response to a ad - or sign in the window - will work out - however - it is at BEST a 50-50 shot - since these folks looking are either unhappy at something at there current job - or even worse - may not be employed for say performance issues - since most responsible PEOPLE do not quit jobs - with out already having one lined up

LIke i mentioned - personally - i rather go and find someone - myself - with NO experience - and train them OUR WAY - !!

The best employee I've ever had was a high school girl that walked in and asked for a job. I gave her a cloth and told her to start cleaning, she did and keeps coming back everyday.

Normally I find I must look for help and I find most of the best have experience as a waitress. Don't know why, but they seem the best at multi tasking. I agree with you on hiring experienced help, I too hate to untrain someone that has learned bad habits elsewhere.

P.S. this is from a lab owners veiwpoint.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The very least you can do if you understaff is to overpay!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    The very least you can do if you understaff is to overpay!

An excellent idea !! :D :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bt5050 View Post

As someone who had no optics and was hired based mostly on service skills and gut instinct, I am of two minds, I agree that someone either has it or they don't. If someone isn't a team player, if they lack common sense and professionalism, if they don't know how to connect with people, well, yeah, they're going to suck as an employee. Those are the hardest things to tech, and I'd like to think that I'm a good example of how someone with a good attitude and half a brain can be trained to be a good optician.

On the other hand, having been in a position where all I knew coming in was what I'd picked up from wearing glasses and contacts for 20 - 25 years, I think hiring people with no optics is not a good idea. Optics is a really complicated, multifaceted, complex science. Glasses are a medical device, and they're really important to the well being and quality of life for the patients. Someone like me, who can produce the selling skills before I have the optics to know what the hell I'm selling and why (not to mention how, as in accurate measurements and good lens choices) isn't doing right by the patients. How many remakes did I cause by my ignorance? How many patients didn't get the service they deserved because I didn't know any better? I was blessed to work under some wonderful, experienced people, but they couldn't hold my hand all the time or oversee everything I did. Without any optics at all, the learning curve is just too steep, and our office, like most others, can't afford to keep someone off the floor long enough to get their feet underneath them.

One thing we talk about here a lot is the "right" to call ones self an optician. With the widely varying standards, consumers have no idea if the person helping them is a 20 year vet with a license and certification, or if it's someone who was working a cash register the day before. As an industry, we owe it to the patients to make sure the opticians helping them are competent professionals. Hiring anybody off the street isn't going to provide that kind of environment, and I don't think it's a good idea. Perhaps it's hypocritical of me, but I'm a proponent of national certification and licensure requirements. If someone has the personal skills and the ambition, let's provide a framework of apprenticeship where they feel supported and are allowed ample time to learn, and where the patient is being properly cared for in the meantime.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post
    mlm, I'm sorry to hear you're having such problems with staff. I think it's tough to find people who are both skilled and who are able to take initiative, and who don't have that "big company" attitude that says "I only do what's in my job description."

Most of the folks I've worked for -- opticians and ODs alike -- have set the tone, being willing to do anything that needed doing including answering the phone, cleaning the toilet, etc. Is there an attitude coming "from the top" that may be encouraging the kind of problem you're having with staff?
    The owner ODs are totally willing to pitch in when needed, including cleaning the spit off the front window every morning (price we pay for being in downtown Vancouver). That's the good part.

The bad part is that they aren't willing to tackle problems with staff. It's almost like they think that if they ignore it, it will go away on its own. So the staff who've worked here the longest and think that they don't have to do anything outside of their area get away with their outrageous behaviour.

Case in point: the reason I stayed overtime yesterday and today was because there's a major SNAFU in our inventory because "certain people" weren't taking frames out of stock when they were sold. It's year end, and our numbers are way out of whack because of this crap. But no one wants to step up and fix all the files...so I decided to do it even though I have nothing to do with the dispensary. So, when I talked to my bosses this morning to explain what I'm doing...they said that I shouldn't feel that I have to take on that task. "It will sort itself out." Ummm...and how will that happen?? The dispensary people are too busy blaming each other and the computer program for what's happened!

OptiBoard Apprentice Lachrymator's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We seem to be over-staffed and overpaid, and it's almost too much. I'd rather work with 3-4 (not including the Dr.), but we've had 5-6 on one day with hardly any patients on the books.

Thread Information