Thread: "Do you have the Sarah Palin glasses?"

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Do you have the Sarah Palin glasses?"

Oh my goodness, I'm not sure about you guys, but I think that if I hear that one more time I might go nuts! Just curious as to how many of you others have been hearing this a lot lately.... For me, I don't think a day goes by that I don't have at least 5 women ask me that! Never in my life did I imagine the 'latest trend' to come from that direction!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's just hope that's they way they are going to vote!

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    . . . Or not. Next time someone asks me, and I get irritated when they do, I am going to say

" Yes we do have them. By the way, did you know wearing them gives you Foreign Policy Experience with Russia?"

Crazy! :cheers:
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 09-29-2008 at 01:39 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Let's just hope that's they way they are going to vote!

Let's hope they're not so starstruck by Palin's Celebrityness. Which, according to McCain used to be a BAD THING.

We actually have had a total of two requests. When they find out the frame is $400 and backordered to oblivion, they waver. We show them a Morel frame that looks a lot like it (and will be less trouble) for half the cost and tell them we can put her shape in it,they realize it's still more than they want to spend. They want Sara's glasses, but are only willing to pay a hundred bucks.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    That seems to be the thing among people shopping for glasses though. The price tag for a pair of frames have been lowered and lowered by the 1hour stores, and people bring those expectations with them to quality independent opticians.

Why is it they have no problem blowing a few hundred bucks for a Coach or Fendi bag, but they cheap out on something they're going to be wearing on their face constantly? I just don't get it....

I'm glad I work in the wholesale biz...

OptiBoard Apprentice Lachrymator's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKim View Post
    That seems to be the thing among people shopping for glasses though. The price tag for a pair of frames have been lowered and lowered by the 1hour stores, and people bring those expectations with them to quality independent opticians.

Why is it they have no problem blowing a few hundred bucks for a Coach or Fendi bag, but they cheap out on something they're going to be wearing on their face constantly? I just don't get it....

I'm glad I work in the wholesale biz...
    The same reason people complain about the price per gallon of gas, yet spend 5 bucks per cup of coffee at starbucks. The same reason people switch to compact flourescent light bulbs and leave their television running while they are out of the house... It's the American way! :hammer:

I had a lady come in our store a few weeks ago looking at some new Silhouettes, and she asked if they were the Sarah Palin glasses. I just shrugged like I didn't know who she was talking about. :bbg:
    Last edited by Lachrymator; 09-29-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lachrymator,

Welcome to Optiboard!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Lachrymator,

Welcome to Optiboard!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Thank you Fezz! You're bringing tears to my eyes, and I'm supposed to be the lachrymator.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just add it to the names you already hear a million times a year.

"These look like (John Lennon, Elton John and now Sarah Palin) glasses."

:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Myeyeonyou View Post
    Just add it to the names you already hear a million times a year.

"These look like (John Lennon, Elton John and now Sarah Palin) glasses."

:hammer:
    Don't forget Jackie O, Willy Wonka, and Harry Potter... oh wait we're talking about high end optical. :o

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Let's hope they're not so starstruck by Palin's Celebrityness. Which, according to McCain used to be a BAD THING.

We actually have had a total of two requests. When they find out the frame is $400 and backordered to oblivion, they waver. We show them a Morel frame that looks a lot like it (and will be less trouble) for half the cost and tell them we can put her shape in it,they realize it's still more than they want to spend. They want Sara's glasses, but are only willing to pay a hundred bucks.
    This is so true! I had a lady come in and tell me she wanted "Sarah Palin" glasses but only wanted to pay 150 for them because, get this, she thinks they should be cheaper now because she lost the election? OK...........NO!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've sold about a dozen. At least two to African~American (note Chip's PC here). Still get requests. All have been happy using look-alikes as I don't have a dealership to the back ordered line.
    Of course down heah we likes Sarah Palin, and most everyone thinks she has more sense, more moral integrity and higher sense of honor than anyone presently in office. We also thinks she needs trainin on how to handle pinkos like Katie Couric.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 02-13-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Jus' felt like it.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

We have them

And about 15 of Kawasaki's other drill mount shapes and colors. We ordered them because of the Sarah Palin style but have done amazing with the whole collection. They are our top drill mount sellers and are so unique and the sale is always $700 and up so it's great for business. It's also a fun way to get them to look at the collection, "Hey we even have Sarah Palin's famous frames" Whether they like or hate her they always want to check them out. We have been surprised how much success that line has brought to our store.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm up to 26 pairs, and counting (two order pending Rxs).

FWIW

Barry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We still have people wanting to look at the Kawasaki, but they always run when they find out how much it is.
    Morel sure has cleaned up on this fad for a fading semi-personage by having frames that look very similar but at less than half the price.
    People now think Palin is an over-hyped spendthrift once they find out how much she paid for her glasses.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And I'll bet Morel and others cleaning up on this didn't even vote for her.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    And I'll bet Morel and others cleaning up on this didn't even vote for her.

A wise bunch.
    Don't forget they had their style out while Palin was browbeating a state trooper before anyone ever heard of her.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just got a new set of drill mounts at wallyworld that were "inspired by Sarah Palin." All I can say to walmart is "Way to be 8 months late!"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

She's going to run again next year!

No, Sarah, it's every 4 years. :cheers:

Thread Information