Thread: opinions and help please!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry opinions and help please!

this is the first timei have heard this issue so i wanted to see what some of you folks think would be a good next step...

PT is a first time progressive wearer (technically second, but lost orig glasses within 2 days)

she is a -7.00 -.75 X 100
    -7.00 -.25 X 005 with a 2.25 add

she is in 1.67 hi index AO Easy with Teflon AR

in a grooved rimless frame with a 53 eye. Catherine Deneuve CD220

distance is great, intermediate is great.... reading she says she is getting prismatic colors. if she looks at a white page with black writing she says the writing is in blue green and red with a yellow glow.

adjustment looks great, good panto, good face form, progressive is sitting perfectly.

there are no problems within the AR, material, or RX

she has already been rechecked by the doctor once for bad accuity with a resulting change in RX of about a quarter in each eye for each cyl and sph.

what could be causing this? i am almost inclined to remove the AR and see where she is from there. Possibly seeing the blueish reflection from the teflon?

help me!!:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1.67 is about as bad as poly in abbe value. Switch her to 1.70 or 1.60 (1.74 is lousy too.)

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    1.67 is about as bad as poly in abbe value. Switch her to 1.70 or 1.60 (1.74 is lousy too.)
    Ditto.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post

My feeling EXACTLY! While she's wearing them, try adding 1 or 2 degrees of panto to see if this possibly decreases the abberations.
    "You can't think about it, you just gotta let your brain do the work....."
    my dad

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just re-read your post. Patient's in a rimless? If high luster polish edged, this will increase the likelihood of noticed rainbow effects on downward ( or edge of lens) gazing.

( I still recommend another material)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    there was a polished lens previously, we had that changed back to the glorious milky edge.

I just talked with the lab that made them, they dont do a 1.70, but we can get something comperable in trivex.

what would you guys think about changing her into trivex, and also changing the AR to something with a residual other then a blue/green? and what AR would you reccomend other then blue/green?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jcasowder View Post
    My feeling EXACTLY! While she's wearing them, try adding 1 or 2 degrees of panto to see if this possibly decreases the abberations.
    tried that initally also. thought maybe with the thickness of the lenses it would help alittle.... nope said didnt change at all.

what was odd, well at least to me, when she wears them further down on her nose, and reads through the intermediate at arms length she said they are perfect.

still fit with chromatic abberations?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1st, your patient will love the crisp optics of Trivex, but, but, it will be a lot thicker than 1.67 in that power. (trivex's index is close to cr)

I doubt the brand of AR is the problem.

Consider the 1.60 as a compromise.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thank everyone for their quick answers, i appreciate everyones help and input on this one.

i ordered her new lenses in trivex, with the same AR, so hopefully this will be the end of a lovely expereince for both us, and her.

since her complaints were more about the optics then anything else, i decided she can handle the thickness alittle better then lost acuity, even if it is just slightly. and i havent had very good luck with 1.6 in rimless.... limited, but not good luck.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just some follow-up info. Almost all the mfgs have now switched to the "new" 1.60 material, which I think was called Finalite by SOLA. It has a better abbe and is better in grooves and drills than the old stuff Essilor and Shamir was using until about a year ago. The new 1.60 is very good stuff

Also, in case someone didn't state the reason for the problem. The low abbe materials are fine until you look off axis. The abberations are proportional to the distance from center and the Rx. So a high Rx with eye drop is a big problem.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we had a similar post about a week ago where a high myope patient was having a rainbow effect on their lenses, similar material, if I remember right. I chimed in that we had a patient that had the same rainbow effect in her hdv lenses with teflon, and switched her back to what she had been successful with previously(hoya 1.70 ecp with high vision ar) with absolutely no problems. However the zeiss rep, excuse me, I foget his name came back and said it had to be material, not AR, to which I respectfully disagreed but didn't state at the time.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

plastic frame

Maybe a plastic full frame might be a better choice/nullifying the thickness you get with trivex.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the good doctor sure about a 95 degree difference in cylinder location?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Trivex in a -700 myope will be a brick...use a different AR coat-get a Hoya lens...awesome materials and coatings...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly47 View Post
    Trivex in a -700 myope will be a brick...use a different AR coat-get a Hoya lens...awesome materials and coatings...
    Yep 1.70 with Super Hi Vision
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikCOV View Post
    what was odd, well at least to me, when she wears them further down on her nose, and reads through the intermediate at arms length she said they are perfect.
    It's TCA (transverse chromatic aberation) that's causing the color fringing (many folks see it as blur and loss of contrast). The formula for TCA is cF/V where c is the distance from the OC in centimeters, F is the power in the meridian in question, and V is the Abbe number. Decreasing the reading depth decreases "c", inducing less prism, hence less TCA.

For future reference- the AO Easy is available in Finalite, a unique material that has it all- high index (1.60) high Abbe (42), and a very low specific gravity (1.22g/cm3). In horse racing terms, it's a lens material trifecta winner.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sometimes in situations like these i will add an edge tint to the lens to reduce the amount of glare comming up thru the bottom. it has worked for me in the past for what its worth.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chromatic Abberation

I would check with the Teflon, A/R Lab first. Present to them all of the patient's details, and ask them if the Teflon A/R has the propensity for such a thing.
    I love the Crizal Avance with Scothgard! In my opinion, it is the clearest, purest A/R coat that I personnally have ever dispensed.
    Have you verified Bse Curves on her older eyeglasses?
    And here is another "outside the box" thought.
    Perhaps the groove on the lens is too deep. Perhaps this could possibly create a dysfunction between the soft bottom lens area, and the ridge, or groove are?
    James:cheers:

Thread Information