Thread: Gloom and Doom?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gloom and Doom?

We all are aware of how bad things are going for the economy. We all fear the financial collapse and the coming apocalypse.

But, just this morning on my 15 minute ride in, I saw 6 help wanted signs on local businesses. The businesses ranged from the local pizza spining joint to the metal shop that had a sign for 4 positions, including; machinist, welder, tool and die maker, and shipping.

It gave me hope. Things are not always as bad as we fear they are.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But, just this morning on my 15 minute ride in, I saw 6 help wanted signs on local businesses. The businesses ranged from the local pizza spining joint to the metal shop that had a sign for 4 positions, including; machinist, welder, tool and die maker, and shipping.
    Those are to replace the people in those positions that were let go because of their "high" salaries.

Here, things are typically slower at this time of year, but in the strip plaza I am in, rumor has it 2 more stores leaving. We already have about 6 empty storefronts, as the rents are as high as ever.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    There's no shortage of beer, is there?
    ...Just ask me...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

True story....

Last Thursday, I drove to Vernmont to pick up a piece of "equipment". It was a hot-dog cart that my 11 yr old bought for the purpose of paying for the college he wants to go to.

(Secretly, it's my insurance policy in case my business tanks!)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We all are aware of how bad things are going for the economy. We all fear the financial collapse and the coming apocalypse.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Se busca ayuda

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    There's no shortage of beer, is there?

There sorta is!

There is a hop shortage=much higher price and harder to find!
    Grain prices sky high!

The hop shortage is really hrting some breweries!

I'll do my best to keep them all afloat!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps your son and mine need to get together. MY son is always talking about his next big business. He has made plans for lemonade stands, baked goods and all sorts of food based stuff.

He seems to over look the allowance he would receive if he would simply clean his room and the game room though..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Perhaps your son and mine need to get together. MY son is always talking about his next big business. He has made plans for lemonade stands, baked goods and all sorts of food based stuff.

He seems to over look the allowance he would receive if he would simply clean his room and the game room though..
    His first venture, when he was 7, was to spray paint the rocks in the driveway, put them in sandwich bags with a ribbon tied around them, and sell them at the local Community Days as "fake gold". Every kid between 3 and 10 was begging their parents for a dollar so he could have some pirate gold! He sold out, and made $67.

I know what you mean about the allowance thing. It's hard to compete with entrepeneur when they see what they can make on the "outside".
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There sorta is!

There is a hop shortage=much higher price and harder to find!
    Grain prices sky high!

The hop shortage is really hrting some breweries!

I'll do my best to keep them all afloat!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D
    I do my best by drinking malty beers. I'm not a big hops fan.:cheers:
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Last Thursday, I drove to Vernmont to pick up a piece of "equipment". It was a hot-dog cart that my 11 yr old bought for the purpose of paying for the college he wants to go to.

(Secretly, it's my insurance policy in case my business tanks!)
    I like hot dogs, especially ones from the street vendors...which intersection will you be at if I need to buy a couple for lunch? hehehehe...:bbg: I hope you have bags of chips....

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Part of this, I believe is the media (and the politicians). The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!! The more we hear it, the more we believe it, and then we panic.

FYI - This is when you invest. Pick a company, that will not go bankrupt tomorrow, and invest. Most likely, the market will not go much lower. In five years, that company will be on tops.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, things have changed. There are at least 6 job openings within 1 block of our store. But people don't want those jobs. They want $50K/yr jobs.
    Interesting little story. When I was shoveling snow from the sidewalk in front of the store this past winter, I was talking to my neighbor who was doing the same. He said that 10-15 years ago when it snowed there would be a small army of kids that would come downtown (no school ya know) to shovel all the businesses and pocket a quick $100 for a couple hours work. Not one kid has ever come by in the 3 winters we have been there. Same thing for lawn mowing. Not many kids doing that anymore.

My point? The economy isn't bad. It's better than anytime in human history except for 2004-2007. It's our expectations that are too high. Everyone wants to make tons of money with little responsibility. And completely FORGET manual labor. When people get motivated enough to get out from in front of the TV and mow a lawn or work a little overtime or lay some tile, or any of the hundred things that I can't find anyone to do around here - then we will know the economy is bad.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh...it's bad!

WaMu just failed, and was taken over by the Feds. Just how many more "pie-plates" do you think the ol' USA can keep spinning before they all start to fall for lack of resources or...(wait for it)...$$$$$!

B

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ugh.. that's my bank!! arg

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Oh...it's bad!

WaMu just failed, and was taken over by the Feds. Just how many more "pie-plates" do you think the ol' USA can keep spinning before they all start to fall for lack of resources or...(wait for it)...$$$$$!

B

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    You know, things have changed. There are at least 6 job openings within 1 block of our store. But people don't want those jobs. They want $50K/yr jobs.
    Interesting little story. When I was shoveling snow from the sidewalk in front of the store this past winter, I was talking to my neighbor who was doing the same. He said that 10-15 years ago when it snowed there would be a small army of kids that would come downtown (no school ya know) to shovel all the businesses and pocket a quick $100 for a couple hours work. Not one kid has ever come by in the 3 winters we have been there. Same thing for lawn mowing. Not many kids doing that anymore.

My point? The economy isn't bad. It's better than anytime in human history except for 2004-2007. It's our expectations that are too high. Everyone wants to make tons of money with little responsibility. And completely FORGET manual labor. When people get motivated enough to get out from in front of the TV and mow a lawn or work a little overtime or lay some tile, or any of the hundred things that I can't find anyone to do around here - then we will know the economy is bad.
    A lot of it has to do with what people are currently making though. Yes, laziness is part of it, but if I am making $50k, even if I am unemployed, it will take me a while to take a pay cut. This is why the market, itself, does not just fix the problem. They expected it would in the Great Depression, and that is why it got so bad.

The problem is that Conservative or Liberal Economics tends to be based on the idea of tax cuts/increase spending during an economic slowdown BUT constriction during good times. So basically, during good times, pay down the debt, gain some surpluses, and be prepared for recessions. This did not happen. Personally, I do not think the bail out pisses people off as much as it is coming at a time when there is no money left.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Yesterday, one of the biggest chevrolet dealers in Tampa Bay closed its doors. This place has 13 locations. Some employees featured on the news said they went to lunch and came back to locked doors. No warning, just closed.

On the other hand, Ive been looking for a good lab tech who wants a great opportunity to advance their career and I am getting no response.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticLabRat View Post
    On the other hand, Ive been looking for a good lab tech who wants a great opportunity to advance their career and I am getting no response.
    I know you would get at least one-if you would open a mid-atlantic, SE PA office!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I know you would get at least one-if you would open a mid-atlantic, SE PA office!

You dont need a ticket to fly with me!!!
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Got any more...

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    His first venture, when he was 7, was to spray paint the rocks in the driveway, put them in sandwich bags with a ribbon tied around them, and sell them at the local Community Days as "fake gold". Every kid between 3 and 10 was begging their parents for a dollar so he could have some pirate gold! He sold out, and made $67.

I know what you mean about the allowance thing. It's hard to compete with entrepeneur when they see what they can make on the "outside".

GOLD that is?

OptiBoard Professional Leighlee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

TWO!! You would get two! I would love to move back to my old town in PA!!!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Should be in Frostbite Falls, that way VSI could get a whole bunch of small independents in the Upper Midwest and Great Plains. :D :D

Thread Information