Thread: McCain Suspends Campaign

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

McCain Suspends Campaign

Why would McCain suspend his campaign? How does removing his TV ads improve the economic crisis? How does avoiding a debate help? Why will he speak at President Clinton's Global Initiative on Thursday morning, but can't debate on Friday evening? Can't he multitask? Is this a political stunt, attempting to show his constituency that he's an important part of congress, and they can't accomplish anything without him?

Please. Somebody. Explain.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I pick up what you are dropping! I thought that I heard things wrong.

Maybe he has a serious crack addiction? Gambling problems? Commitment issues? Deranged?

I don't know, and I don't get it. Hard to sell yourself to the American public, when you are not selling yourself to the American public!

:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    http://news.aol.com/political-machin...615x1200565830

I haven't watched the clip but I did peek at this article - hahaha!:p

(David Letterman)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would think continuing to spend political dollars would stimulate the economy. By stopping the campaign, is he not worsening the situation (albeit in a minor way)?

On the other hand, by announcing he's stopping, he received lots of free media coverage! :)

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    Is this a political stunt, attempting to show his constituency that he's an important part of congress, and they can't accomplish anything without him?

Stunt. Or as Chris Matthews calls it: "razzle-dazzle"

http://hardblogger.msnbc.msn.com/arc...5/1446737.aspx
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would McCain suspend his campaign? How does removing his TV ads improve the economic crisis? How does avoiding a debate help? Why will he speak at President Clinton's Global Initiative on Thursday morning, but can't debate on Friday evening? Can't he multitask? Is this a political stunt, attempting to show his constituency that he's an important part of congress, and they can't accomplish anything without him?

It's a political chess game.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    He would get killed in the debate, but even better yet....The tentative reschedule date is the same time as the VP debate and Palin would really get killed by Biden.

Its all a bunch on Bull anyway.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    He just needs extra time to prep for the debates. Give an old man a break, why don't cha! < lol

No, seriously, all he needs to do with the bailout proposal is give the bill a yay or nay. He doesn't need to stop the works just for that. Heck, he could probably do it over the phone! This is just a ploy to convince Americans that he's the kind of guy to put fluffernutter stuff aside like campaigns and history-making debates aside to work on fixing America...by crippling it even more with an under-informed and under-researched economic plan. This is as much of a stunt as Palin speed-dating all of those international leaders in NY the other day.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKim View Post
    He just needs extra time to prep for the debates. Give an old man a break, why don't cha! < lol

No, seriously, all he needs to do with the bailout proposal is give the bill a yay or nay. He doesn't need to stop the works just for that. Heck, he could probably do it over the phone! This is just a ploy to convince Americans that he's the kind of guy to put fluffernutter stuff aside like campaigns and history-making debates aside to work on fixing America...by crippling it even more with an under-informed and under-researched economic plan. This is as much of a stunt as Palin speed-dating all of those international leaders in NY the other day.
    Honestly, I thought the first thing you said as feasible. He is just a vote, maybe a persuasive on, in Senate. Like Obama said, he can do that on the road. Why stop the debate. I kind of think it has to do with him losing a lot of ground this week in the polls.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

?????

Well. which is more important to most of you, fixing the economy asap, or some meaningless debate

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Congress is the one who will be deciding the fate of this bill, not the Senate. McCain's input is unnecessary and probably unwelcome, considering his lack of skills in the economics department, at this point.

There is no 'fix' for the economy, just a few worthless measures that will keep it limping along.

There is also nothing we can do about it, besides withdrawing all of our cash in the banks and buying rolls of Silver Eagles to keep in our safes. So why waste the energy worrying? Let's watch the debates and see what these two clowns have to offer this country.

Debating mono e mono is not McCain's strong suit, especially with someone as skilled at it as Obama, so I'm sure he's pulling out all stops to prolong, if not outright avoid, the big debates coming up. Bush may have been a terrible debater, but at least he showed up.
    Last edited by LilKim; 09-25-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: I'm never satisfied....

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    Well. which is more important to most of you, fixing the economy asap, or some meaningless debate
    the debate is extremely important, because it will help influence individuals on selecting the person responsible for controlling the economy (and fixing it).

Plus, McCain, being in Washington will not fix the economy. He will get to vote on a bill. That is all, and that should not affect the debate.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Maybe he just found out about this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional Leighlee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why not?

I was wondering the same thing, that is until I heard on the news that there was a nasty heated argument between the GOP and the Bush administration over this Bailout. Suddenly it occurred to me that perhaps McCain was doing this to spur on those opposing GOP members to work harder towards a resolution on this Bailout. It makes sense that the GOP would really not like to have their Presidential candidate miss the first debate?

Thread Information