Thread: Bug Lights

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bug Lights

I had to replace an outdoor motion light this week-end. When I got to Lowe's I found that I had a choice of colors , red, blue, green, yellow and "specially filtered yellow invisible to bugs."
    Now my question is this:
    If we were to run a light bulb through our "100% UV filtering sheep dip."
    Would this render the light "invisible to bugs?"
    Relevance: Those of us who like to fish at night, especially in our West Nile prone area have a problem with bugs. The powers that be require that you have a white light nice and high over the back of the boat, as well as a red/green light on the front.
    It sure would be nice if mosquitos would find somewhere else to go than my small fishing boat.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I think the mosquito's are more prone to go by the scent of your breath(or corbon dioxide)and by motion more than light......

There is a product I heard of, it emulates the smell female mosquitos are drwn to to lay their eggs.......after a few months, you not just killed a few mosquitos, you knocked out the entire strain in your area........

Sounds to me like a Bush product :p
    History Reapeats Itself

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Mo' bugs

Actually light has a lot to do with mosquitos and most bugs for that matter. Go night fishing or in the woods at night with black socks,, you will wish you had bothered to change into white socks. Wear one of each if you want to test this, you won't believe the difference.
    And yes there are bug sprays (deep woods off being the best in my experience) but among other old wives tales us fishermen believe in, is the fact that it gets on your hands, and from your hands to the lure. Fish supposedly don't like it any more than mosquitos.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a battery-powered "bug zapper" that we use on the deck. Perhaps something like that would be portable enough for the boat.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Minnesota trick or two:

1. Starting in April (sooner down south) drink one half cup cider vinegar daily. Suppose to change the blood chemistry to repel the varmits.

2. Eat one clove of garlic a day, same results as the vinegar trick.

Don't know if they work, but as awful as they sound, they might. The oldtimers here swear by both of them.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You gentle souls is missin de point. I want the light to stop drawing the bugs to the boat. And we are talking about john boats where electricity is at a premium for lights, trolling motor, cigarette lighter and depth finder. Couldn't use anything that needs much amperage.

Chip

I also thought that if this works we might find a way to draw those fishermen into our shops for all sorts of expensive polarised lenses.
    "We dip your bulbs in UV with purchase of fishing glasses." Or something.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I don't know Chip, there is only one way to find out and that is try it. It may also be a good excuse for you to try some nightime catfishing. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Minnesota trick or two:

1. Starting in April (sooner down south) drink one half cup cider vinegar daily. Suppose to change the blood chemistry to repel the varmits.

2. Eat one clove of garlic a day, same results as the vinegar trick.

Don't know if they work, but as awful as they sound, they might. The oldtimers here swear by both of them.

I don't know about varmits, but I'd stay away from ya!!

:D:cheers::D

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It works at least at the house!

For what it's worth, I tested out the super-zoomo bug free flood lights at the house last night. While we are at present being blessed with a lot of love-buggs and mosquitos, none congregated around my floodlights!

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What you need is a thermacell product. I'm in Florida and I can tell you they work. I have a portable unit that runs on butane and lasts for hours.

Do a web search. I got mine at bass pro shops.
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chip, what we do up here is take me along. If I'm around, no one ELSE will be bothered by skeeters. For some reason I'm a skeeter magnet. We have the small black ones here that land and bite at the same time.

Though it's uncomfortable, I have had luck in coating the exposed areas of my body with a thin film of petroleum jelly. And it doesn't stink up the lures.:cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People we are talking about a bow light (Required by Coast Guard and other reulatory entities) for a John boat. The object of the game is to keep the damn light from drawing millions of mosquitos to the boat, not to keep them from biting me. Although as a diabetic, I do seem to draw mosquitos, wasps, and yellow Jackets.

I just don't want the mosquitos and gnats to be drawn to the boat.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cigars do wonders!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Cigars do wonders!...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Cigars do wonders!
    So does burning horse manure, which used to hang in a bag between 2 horses pulling a cart, and the smoke was very efficient to chase off the bugs.

However having a captains license I a m fully awar of a boats lightning systems.

Chip could actually install another battery, add a small inverter and plug in any light he wants.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All you dear hearts and gentle people including Mr. Ryser are missing the point. White Stern Lights are Required by the coast guard!
    As a captian Chris should know this. It doesn't matter what I would like to have, it's what I must have. Surely at one time or another everyone that encountered a True Beaurocrat that worked for one agency or other , like the highway patrol, fish and game, or board of licensure.
    If the damn regulations say white-light, it better be white! Despite our state having 37 cases of West Nile this year, you don't thing our congressmen or yours for that matter are smart enough or willing to get such a regularion changed do you?

Now if one could filter "white light" so that it still appeared white to beaurocrats and didn't appear at all to insects the problems would be solved.
    So please stop recommending vasceline, vinigar and cigars, and let me know something about insects, angstroms and the like. We are after all in the optical business (thought we specialized in light) are we not?

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    All you dear hearts and gentle people including Mr. Ryser are missing the point. White Stern Lights are Required by the coast guard!
    As a captian Chris should know this. It doesn't matter what I would like to have, it's what I must have. Surely at one time or another everyone that encountered a True Beaurocrat that worked for one agency or other , like the highway patrol, fish and game, or board of licensure.
    If the damn regulations say white-light, it better be white! Despite our state having 37 cases of West Nile this year, you don't thing our congressmen or yours for that matter are smart enough or willing to get such a regularion changed do you?

Now if one could filter "white light" so that it still appeared white to beaurocrats and didn't appear at all to insects the problems would be solved.
    So please stop recommending vasceline, vinigar and cigars, and let me know something about insects, angstroms and the like. We are after all in the optical business (thought we specialized in light) are we not?

Chip
    Chip, my dad was in the Coast Guard for over 25 years after the Army Air Corps during WWII.In those years spent on the local rivers and lakes, I have seen first-hand the need for these navigation lights and the results of not having them on navigable ways. I think you can imagine the results of being run over by a barge.
    Here's the regulations:
    http://www.boatus.com/boattech/uscg.htm

Now, there is no way to make a light look white and not be white. White light will draw skeeters. Case closed.
    However, you can make adjustments and still comply with regs. The law says a white light is required AT LEAST one meter above the transom and visible over a 112 degree angle.Masking part of it off can help. OK, but you can have it higher than three feet. Get a fifteen-foot pole and mount your light at the top of it, then the bugs will be drawn to it, but away from you. Your Deep Woods Off will do the rest. But put disposable rubber gloves on when you apply it so your hands won't smell and contaminate your lures. Or rub stinkbait on them.
    Last edited by DragonLensmanWV; 09-23-2008 at 10:36 AM.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

White Stern Lights are Required..............

White Stern Lights are Required by the coast guard!

That is correct, but they should be shielded only to the rear of the boat. Like the running lights can light from forward to 90 degrees.
    Ankerlights can have a 360 degree angle.

I wonder why the heck you have to be out there in mosquito land at night instead of watching the election shows on TV. :D

OptiBoard Professional Leighlee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had to replace an outdoor motion light this week-end. When I got to Lowe's I found that I had a choice of colors , red, blue, green, yellow and "specially filtered yellow invisible to bugs."
    Now my question is this:
    If we were to run a light bulb through our "100% UV filtering sheep dip."
    Would this render the light "invisible to bugs?"
    Relevance: Those of us who like to fish at night, especially in our West Nile prone area have a problem with bugs. The powers that be require that you have a white light nice and high over the back of the boat, as well as a red/green light on the front.
    It sure would be nice if mosquitos would find somewhere else to go than my small fishing boat.

Chip
    Start smoking a pipe when you fish. It worked for my grand-daddy who loved to fish on the Neuse River in NC.

Thread Information