Thread: Another Refund Fiasco

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another Refund Fiasco

It was the full moon I think. Yesterday a woman came in with two zippy bags of Ciba Colorblends. She claimed they were defective and she wanted a refund. I counted the lenses and they amounted to approximately four boxes. In Februray she had picked up 8 boxes. Not a word from her about any defective lenses in all this time. I asked her where the boxes were? She claims to have had to go into all of the boxes to pick lenses that were not defective. I asked how she knew any of these were defective and where oh where were the "defective" lenses so that I could take a look. She had to throw them away she says. The owner is in the background saying "just give her her money back". Are you kidding?!! Since she was making a scene in the store in front of our normal patrons I offered to send the bags of lenses back to Ciba so that it could be determined if they were defective and if so she would be given lenses in exchange for these. Nooooo. She wants a refund for the entire year supply. Then a little light bulb went off in my head. Did you get a rebate I asked her. No I did not she said. Hmmmm. So today I check with Ciba and sure enough she got her rebates and the checks cleared last week. What a coincidence. So now the owner who obviously would rather avoid confrontation still wants to refund her. I say no way. She gets nothing and in fact she gets asked to take her business elsewhere. I'll be talking to her tomorrow and will present the evidence. I swear I am ready to walk if the owner refunds her. I do not know why I am not allowed to do my job here. :angry: Mainly venting here, sorry.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I swear I know this woman! Ask her if she lived in Utah before you exile her. Same thing happened about 3 years ago, same baggie full of dried up colorblends, claiming they were defective. She got her refund from a manager that was way more important than me.

Or maybe she has a twin. Good luck!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Coco:
    If you are otherwise happy and it's the boss's money being refunded, and it's his business. Why walk out. It's his problem, not yours. If you are wealthy and foolish enough to open your own optical shop, walk and run it the way you want to. Otherwise no matter where you go the boss is always going to see something differently than the way you do. But one should always remember: "The boss isn't always right, but he is always the boss."

Chip

Now if the refund is coming out of your pocket the matter is quite different.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Coco:
    If you are otherwise happy and it's the boss's money being refunded, and it's his business. Why walk out. It's his problem, not yours. If you are wealthy and foolish enough to open your own optical shop, walk and run it the way you want to. Otherwise no matter where you go the boss is always going to see something differently than the way you do. But one should always remember: "The boss isn't always right, but he is always the boss."

Chip

Now if the refund is coming out of your pocket the matter is quite different.
    Well you know I won't walk it's just my hormones talking. I realize it's the owner's problem but I can't help but care. If I can manage to get him to compromise I think we can at least break even. This stuff goes on all the time, I've been there ten years. In an office this small it's sometimes like a bad marriage;).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But one should always remember: "The boss isn't always right, but he is always the boss."
    Chip, thru that gruff exterior comes some very good wisdom.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I dont even think corporate stores would refund that, let alone a private optical. I know in my store I would have shown them the door.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, I hate situations like that. You're right, she doesn't deserve a refund. But the owner is saying refund her... you should refund her. It's his place.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you refund her, you will perpetuating a scam she will continue with in every optical store from here to breakfast. You will be passing the problem on to others. Tell your boss I said to show a little backbone, tell the cheat no refund, and tell her to never set her swindling a-- in your store again.
    You will be doing us all a favour.

Bad address email on file gjhazard's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

refunds/abuse

Sounds like you have spineless boss like the one I use to have.

Her name is not Jan is it?

I feel for you! When managment does not back you up it makes you look foolish and without power. This person will be back to use you as a door mat any time they wish.

I'd look for a new job at a place that appreciates you! It worked for me and I actually like being an optician again.

Best of luck!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is the wrap up. Exchanged the loose contacts for an equivilant in boxes comped in part by Ciba (they offered), gave the nice lady a printout of her rebate check clearance and made it clear that this was a one time only exchange courtesy of Ciba and our establishment. I did my best evil smile and that was that. No real refund. Everybody is now happy. TGIF baby!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Here is the wrap up. Exchanged the loose contacts for an equivilant in boxes comped in part by Ciba (they offered), gave the nice lady a printout of her rebate check clearance and made it clear that this was a one time only exchange courtesy of Ciba and our establishment. I did my best evil smile and that was that. No real refund. Everybody is now happy. TGIF baby!
    Sounds good! How did she react? Is your boss happy, too?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Sounds good! How did she react? Is your boss happy, too?

She was rather at a loss for words. I think she scams regularly. Sorry but for some, speaking very little English gets you an edge. Not here. I have a pretty good ear. Boss is never happy but that is just a personality defect that we have learned to live with.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well done Coco!

Thread Information