Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Optician's" qualifications

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up "Optician's" qualifications

Food for thought here.

Why is it that many "Optician's" that are looking for work like to state how long they have been in the business? Can that be like a dummy in school and just being passed to the next grade? It tells no one of your credentials or qualifications.

Credentials or qualifications is what would let me know if I want to talk to you. You know as well as I do that there are "good" Opticians out there and "bad" Opticians. If you have Credentials,qualifications and reference's then toot your horn about it. Let the world know how qualified you are. Use the logos if you have earned them and kept the up, A.B.O., N.C.L.E., State Certified or have a state license.

If all you can come up with is many years you have been a "Optician" we do not know been a asset or a terrorist to the market.

When a Dr opens a new office or starts at a new job, dates are posted along with there credentials, qualifications and logos.

Have you ever seen one like this? "Optometrist looking for work, 10 years in the business." First impression I get is, LAZY!

I went for some Education hours at the state capitol and as each speaker was introduced we had to endure five minutes of someone touting the speakers accolades. That was awful, it sounded overbearingly arrogant.

Point is to toot your horn if you are qualified but don't blast it. Bet you will get more response's.

Charles C. Greenrock A.B.O., N.C.L.E,
    Florida Board Certified and Licensed
    Last edited by CCGREEN; 09-17-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting...

Most of my previous employees stated they had "20+ years of experience".

However, I discovered that, correctly, what they *really* meant to say was: "20+ years of *6* months experience"

FWIW
    Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm. Lets see. I need heart surgery, and my cardiolologist is 55 years old, paraticing about 25 years, and has none of the "certifications" now used by the docs. He has performed hundreds of these procedures, but because he is not a F.A.C.S. or whatever, I need to look else where? Time alone does not mean qualified, but either do those letters after your name.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Hmmm. Lets see. I need heart surgery, and my cardiolologist is 55 years old, paraticing about 25 years, and has none of the "certifications" now used by the docs. He has performed hundreds of these procedures, but because he is not a F.A.C.S. or whatever, I need to look else where? Time alone does not mean qualified, but either do those letters after your name.
    And your cardiologist likely is using 25 year old techniques if he doesn't have any extra letters after his name. Now are you sure you want to see him over the 55 year old with a bunch of letters?

Same thing with optometry. If I was in a state/province which had multiple levels of OD license, you'd better believe I'd be going to the doc with the letters.

It's not length of time which generates valuable experience, it's desire to learn and try new things.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Personally, I don't give a D---m about letters, I want someone that can do the job right.

Jacqui RN CNM CADC ABOC CJ CG PE FANC
    MSN MBA BSIE BSIT

YES, they are all mine.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You get the letters you may get someone that can read, and take tests.
    Mearly this and nothing more.
    While I admit that there are dumb opticians that can stay in the business forever and not learn anything, and a few that have never read anything since taking the job. But I suspect that they are few and far between.
    I fail to see how anyone that passed his tests, and worked for X years without taking sales pitch "hours" will be less qualified than one that did attend sales pitch "education" meetings.
    I suspect that someone that has been a good benchman for 5+years will probably be a much better optician than the one that read and took tests, or the one that never did any bench or lab work.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't think of a better reason to demand college-based Opticianry education than the posts in this thread.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    And your cardiologist likely is using 25 year old techniques if he doesn't have any extra letters after his name. Now are you sure you want to see him over the 55 year old with a bunch of letters?

Same thing with optometry. If I was in a state/province which had multiple levels of OD license, you'd better believe I'd be going to the doc with the letters.

It's not length of time which generates valuable experience, it's desire to learn and try new things.
    I'm not saying he didn't keep up, just that he didn't buy in to the letter thing. The bottom line is does certifications mean your qualified? Or experience. I don't have the answer, but I go with option "B". Have all the letters you want, still does not qualify you.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Personally, I don't give a D---m about letters, I want someone that can do the job right.

Jacqui RN CNM CADC ABOC CJ CG PE FANC
    MSN MBA BSIE BSIT

YES, they are all mine.
    While that is true, the letters can act like a filter. Shows motivation, and it shows their ability to be trainable.

Experience, as mentioned by another poster, can have its own problems too. If I work for a chain, I may only be taught all the company thinks I should know. I may not be up-to-date on techniques and product.

For instance, I remember we had one optician fill in for us about 7 years ago. She did not know what 1.67 was. She thought spectralite was revolutionary. She had no idea of the different ARs. She had 25 years in the industry. I knew more than her on products and techniques. I had far less experience.

So this is stuff that should come out of interviews.

I also think that professionals should embrace their letters, because it is meaningful to the profession. You guys want your position to be meaningful. If you do not take it seriously then you are opening the door to that doppy kid who will get paid far less than you. Stand up for your profession and yourself.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For instance, I remember we had one optician fill in for us about 7 years ago. She did not know what 1.67 was. She thought spectralite was revolutionary. She had no idea of the different ARs. She had 25 years in the industry. I knew more than her on products and techniques. I had far less experience.

What were her credenials? Once again, alphabet soup after my name does not make me quailfied, or good for that matter.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    What were her credenials? Once again, alphabet soup after my name does not make me quailfied, or good for that matter.
    She was a licensed optician in the Province of Ontario. The license requires education, testing, and maintenance of the degree through credits. Unfortunately, the credits are more for seminars than testing.

With that said, credits, tests and such will not make a person up-to-date. Will just prove that they understand the ideas behind optics and fittings.

But, I bet you if I take 10 professionals with alphabet soup versus 10 with no alphabet soup, they alphamaticians will out perform them any day. Where you may have 3 bad seeds, the other you may have 3 good ones.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    While that is true, the letters can act like a filter. Shows motivation, and it shows their ability to be trainable.
    Absolutely true!!!
    Letters after a name prove that this person can successfully complete a course in instruction. In many cases, they pay for their own training and do it on their own time... they appreciate the opportunity learning to be a better practitioner.

They can troubleshoot an optical problem, and are more than a glorified 'temple-bender'. In my view, initials after a name are something to be proud of, and in any profession. :cheers:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I can't think of a better reason to demand college-based Opticianry education than the posts in this thread.
    That’s a start.

But, also need a ball busting State written and Practical exam.

And now for the kicker, mandatory college/university (not this junior college crap) and continuing education and mandatory recertification.

How about them apples.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper 5+years will probably be a much better optician....................

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I suspect that someone that has been a good benchman for 5+years will probably be a much better optician than the one that read and took tests, or the one that never did any bench or lab work.
    Chip
    I second that.........................

In Europe opticians are still starting as an apprentice learning the mechanics of an optician for 4 years and go to opticians schools for 2 days a week.

After passing the state exams they are certified opticians and their certificat is accepted in all countries in Europe. Then they can go on to become a master optician or even into ooptometry..

No one can manage an optical store without a Master optician or optometrist degree.

Very simple and straight forward. Nobody uses the 20 letters behind their names, but have the certifications and diplomas to prove the point.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

Interesting replies here.

But keep in mind I was not saying hands on was better then school and was not saying school is better then hands on. We need both.

O.D. M.D. Nurses and lord knows the list goes on and on. Those who are the best in their field have school and internship before boards. Those who understand why they are doing what they are doing make the best employees and person we would want to work with and protect the public.

This field is not difficult but it is not brain surgery ether.

So those who can only tell you how long they have been playing in the field and do not give any references or credential's are only making it hard on themselves.

Again I say; Education vs Experience, one is not any better then the next but we all know both are the best for you, the person looking for work, the potential employer and the public.

I think the subject made many people stop and think about what is best for our profession.

Charles C. Greenrock A.B.O. N.C.L.E
    Florida Board Certified and Licensed

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    That’s a start.

But, also need a ball busting State written and Practical exam.

And now for the kicker, mandatory college/university (not this junior college crap) and continuing education and mandatory recertification.
    Not sure what "not this junior college crap" means... but a start towards better exams is long overdue.
    Perhaps Advanced ABO and Advanced NCLE as a minimum, but no three (3)-year wait period after getting your regular ABO/NCLE. This looks more liek a money-grab than anything else.
    Also, I'm in favour of an open-challenge exam, as there are some who can learn opticianry on their own.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I second that.........................

In Europe opticians are still starting as an apprentice learning the mechanics of an optician for 4 years and go to opticians schools for 2 days a week.
    I recall watching a video about German machineshop apprentices...
    As a start to their careers, they were all given a flat file and wwhat looked like a piece of 6"x2"x 1/4" flat bar and then required to file the end of this flat bar by hand for SIX STRAIGHT MONTHS. They did nothing else, until they could finally produce a perfect 90-degree result by hand.
    I'm sure it haad the effect of weeding out many wanna-be apprentice machinists, but I would suggest that North American budding opticians haven't got the time or money to duplicate this type of initial vetting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink "Prisum"

Just received a long past due order from the lab I use and along with it was the lens that had to be remade. And on the lens someone had wrote "Prisum" hummm, now what do you think? Someone who is educated or someone who stands in front of the polisher all day and they have put in 10 years. Now that is who I want making my glasses!!!

Sorry folks just had to do that.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CCGreen:

If spelling is a requirement, none of us is qualified to be an optician or lab man, or much of anything.
    We won't event discuss the ability to not have typo's.

Chip

Sounds like another: "I caught his mistake, therefor I am better than he."

Occupation
    CCGreen:

If spelling is a requirement, none of us is qualified to be an optician or lab man, or much of anything.
    We won't event discuss the ability to not have typo's.

Chip

Sounds like another: "I caught his mistake, therefor I am better than he."
    spelling may not be an issue, but the laziness that caused the spelling error is.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For_Life just nailed it.

Nice to see someone understood the point trying to be made.

Or the mistake was made by someone who had to much going on and was trying to do to much multi-tasking.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By the way, what was that last snide remark you made Chip?

Where were you going with that and what was ment by it?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For Life and GG:

Do you really you are the equal of a Harry Chilliquarian as an optician? And as much as I love Chilly Harry despite his missguided political beliefs, he is one of the worst spellers (even worse than I) on the board. But he has more math and optical knowledge in his little finger than most of us will be burried with.
    I don't think his poor spelling has anything to do with his being lazy. I do admit that all of us could take 30 min. with a dictionary before posting, but this is supposed to be a fun think for spare time comments, not a litterary dissertation for a PHD.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I try very hard to make sure that I've spelled everything properly in any of my correspondence, however sometimes I miss a few. That being said, we should at the very least be able to spell the words necessary and particular to our professions.

Occupation
    he is one of the worst spellers (even worse than I) on the board.
    Hea, I ressent that. :D

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    this is supposed to be a fun think for spare time comments, not a litterary dissertation for a PHD
    I have said ti before ad I'll say it again if you don't like my spellign there is always the ignore feature on this board. I always think to myself how anal retentive must a person be to ignor ethe content of a forum and focus in on the spelling. Half the time I am tryign to type otu a post between generator cycles or between runnign from the polisher to the edger to switch otu a lens. Rather than making sure all the spelling is correct, I would just personally stop posting.

Thread Information