Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Optician's" qualifications

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love being the stick that stirs the pot, pick the brain or anything that makes the thought process kick in.

Been fun folks but I am tired of this subject and seems everyone else is also. We have wandered away from what I started with.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Hea, I ressent that. :D

I have said ti before ad I'll say it again if you don't like my spellign there is always the ignore feature on this board. I always think to myself how anal retentive must a person be to ignor ethe content of a forum and focus in on the spelling. Half the time I am tryign to type otu a post between generator cycles or between runnign from the polisher to the edger to switch otu a lens. Rather than making sure all the spelling is correct, I would just personally stop posting.
    Harry,

Your knowledge and experience far outweigh any issues with spelling. I for one usually have to read your posts 2 or 3 times to begin to grasp the meaning. That has nothing to do with spelling and everything to do with my own ignorance and stupidity. Your experience and studies have put you into what I would guess as the top 1% of opticians and there is still much more we need to learn from you.

that is my raving for the day

Bob

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    For Life and GG:

Do you really you are the equal of a Harry Chilliquarian as an optician? And as much as I love Chilly Harry despite his missguided political beliefs, he is one of the worst spellers (even worse than I) on the board. But he has more math and optical knowledge in his little finger than most of us will be burried with.
    I don't think his poor spelling has anything to do with his being lazy. I do admit that all of us could take 30 min. with a dictionary before posting, but this is supposed to be a fun think for spare time comments, not a litterary dissertation for a PHD.

Chip
    I never said that I was the equal of Harry. Harry's specialty is in optics, mine is in business.

Keep in mind something about Harry. He is posting on OB. I never review my posts on OB, because they are not important. I am sure if Harry was sending out an important letter, he would proof read it and fix his spelling mistakes.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Harry,

Your knowledge and experience far outweigh any issues with spelling. I for one usually have to read your posts 2 or 3 times to begin to grasp the meaning. That has nothing to do with spelling and everything to do with my own ignorance and stupidity. Your experience and studies have put you into what I would guess as the top 1% of opticians and there is still much more we need to learn from you.

that is my raving for the day

Bob
    Thanks Bob, I learn more from you guys than I do from any other source I have. If you've ever googled a subject about optics you will find that the first listing is here and usually the subject is exhausted before the thread goes to the archives. Anyway although it may seem easy to press a spell check button every now and again it's also easy to see why the huge difference in opticians across the country. I live in PA and work in MD, neither state is licensed. CCGREEN is from Florida which is licensed and Judy is from VA which is licensed. I would not expect the opticians from their states to stoop to the level of optician in our states, and I would hope that if someone from an unlicensed state with very little pay and resources doesn't get turned away from this place because a few have a pet peeve about spelling. For the few states that are licensed, that are dealign with issues of spelling, I say it's a good day when that's all your worries.

BTW I did not use a spell checker on this post, hope everything meets approval. :D

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    BTW I did not use a spell checker on this post, hope everything meets approval.
    "Good Job" (If I hear a parent say that to a child one more time . . .) on the spelling Harry. Now on to your grammar . . .

I do hope that future State optician licensing regulations deal with the spelling and grammar issue although only after they outlaw texting while performing the duties of an optician.

What we really need is to put an end to the outlaw opticians who want to refract before they can parse a sentence.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    "Good Job" (If I hear a parent say that to a child one more time . . .) on the spelling Harry. Now on to your grammar . . .

I do hope that future State optician licensing regulations deal with the spelling and grammar issue although only after they outlaw texting while performing the duties of an optician.

What we really need is to put an end to the outlaw opticians who want to refract before they can parse a sentence.
    I think you and Chip have not only missed the point, but altered it to try to avoid the whole question. Not a problem, used to it by a few here.

It is not that the spelling was wrong, but that when people do not double check their spelling on important items. If they are prone to do that then they will be prone to not check measurements or RXs.

Nothing worse than someone with a lot of mistakes.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, my ability to spell or not spell is not a function of being a licensed Optician. It is because I believe that what I take time to put in writing ought to be a reflection of my age and my education. There are a few things in life that send me right over the edge: burned out lightbulbs, hand-lettered signs in a professional office, poor spelling, poor grammar and women who wear curlers in public. My apologies if my foibles offend anyone. I'm just wired that way. That's wired not weird.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's not so much the occasional spelling mistake that bugs me because anybody can be typing fast and make a mistake. It's the improper use of words like...their, they're and there,....to, two and too,...your you're and yours.., then and than,...farther and further,... and I love this one, weather and whether. I also love... irregardless. It's hard to take someone seriously when they misuse words like that. I'm not talking about people whose primary language is other than English, like Borysko. Im talkin' 'bout 'mericans. Come on, people. Get itright.
    Last edited by fjpod; 09-20-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: oops, spelling typo...

Occupation
    Ok, if we were to only allow posts that had no spelling errors how many relevent and thoughtful posts from everyone here would be missing?

Just don't see the point in proper speeling and/or grammer on a forum, but I guess I'm just wierd that way. (in my case it is wierd not wired, Judy :D)

I have sat through lectures with PhD's MD's and OD's that use irregardless, I find it one of those funny words that used by everyone irregardless:p of education.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hay, I sremble thit reemarc!

Barri

Occupation
    Ok, if we were to only allow posts that had no spelling errors how many relevent and thoughtful posts from everyone here would be missing?

Just don't see the point in proper speeling and/or grammer on a forum, but I guess I'm just wierd that way. (in my case it is wierd not wired, Judy :D)

I have sat through lectures with PhD's MD's and OD's that use irregardless, I find it one of those funny words that used by everyone irregardless:p of education.
    see post 31

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    see post 31
    Elaborate, Please?

Are you insinuateing that I make more mistakes because I don't try to catch my spelling errors?

Or are you saying I don't find posting here very important?

I could really care less about spelling. Microsoft builds software that spell checks, amazing how no matter how long this thread is gonna get I will never use it for a forum. I even have the IE spell checker installed and could use the little button to the top right and I'll never use it. Your moans and groans are futile.

And BTW what qualifies this thread to be in the Ophthalmic Optics Forum, I guess spelling is a no no, but posting in the wrong forum is aok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spelling.bmp  

Occupation
    Elaborate, Please?

Are you insinuateing that I make more mistakes because I don't try to catch my spelling errors?

Or are you saying I don't find posting here very important?

I could really care less about spelling. Microsoft builds software that spell checks, amazing how no matter how long this thread is gonna get I will never use it for a forum. I even have the IE spell checker installed and could use the little button to the top right and I'll never use it. Your moans and groans are futile.

And BTW what qualifies this thread to be in the Ophthalmic Optics Forum, I guess spelling is a no no, but posting in the wrong forum is aok.
    What I am saying is that spelling does matter, as a point of presentation, for important documents. OB is not important. We understand what people are trying to say. But if you are presenting to customers, it matters.

And do not rely on microsoft to save you in important letters. It misses many things with its spell and grammar check.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    What I am saying is that spelling does matter, as a point of presentation, for important documents. OB is not important. We understand what people are trying to say. But if you are presenting to customers, it matters.

And do not rely on microsoft to save you in important letters. It misses many things with its spell and grammar check.
    Ok, then I must have misunderstood you or the thread turned into another monster. I agree when presenting especially to a patient on a resume or whereever it is seen by another as a business document or formal communication it is important.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry:

Sorry I used you for an eggxample to begin with. Didn't want to start a p***ing contest. Was trying to show the importance of being right and smart on the subject, instead of impressing your old college English prof.

Chip

Would you rather have an ASC certified technician or a really good mechanic?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Harry:

Sorry I used you for an eggxample to begin with. Didn't want to start a p***ing contest. Was trying to show the importance of being right and smart on the subject, instead of impressing your old college English prof.

Chip

Would you rather have an ASC certified technician or a really good mechanic?
    No harm no foul. :cheers:

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hea, I ressent that. :D

I have said ti before ad I'll say it again if you don't like my spellign there is always the ignore feature on this board. I always think to myself how anal retentive must a person be to ignor ethe content of a forum and focus in on the spelling. Half the time I am tryign to type otu a post between generator cycles or between runnign from the polisher to the edger to switch otu a lens. Rather than making sure all the spelling is correct, I would just personally stop posting.
    You can't stop posting, Harry, I am learning too much from you to let you go. You are one of the people here who don't know how much influence you have on my professional knowledge. I am a certified, VA state licensed optician, who graduated from a 3 year school of apprenticeship back in the early 80's and I still eagerly learn new things everday! And in reference to the original post about "opticians' qualifications," I, for one, will tell people I have been in the business for 20 years, when someone asks me about my (professional and qualified) self. It's shorter than saying, "I am a certified, licensed optician, who graduated from a 3 year school of apprecnticeship in VA back in the mid 80's, and I also have 2 years of college".
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Ima put it in facts section too, but found it in need here.........

As long as the first and last word are in place, MOST people can zone out and read through, all other letters can be jumbled and we still manage to decipher rather easily........hmmmmm.........interesting..........

Harry was just testing out ability to decipher

I think spelling is important, but if words can be spelled a different way and still carry the meaning or concept it was trying to send, it's a valid "WORD" and does what it was created to :D

Besides, wat wood dem wrapper do widout dat ebonics, den dem jus b schillin in dere patio not makin der muzik......:shiner:
    History Reapeats Itself

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Ex.

"Waht teh mnid pecreievs is otefn inmocpelet or jmulbed. Our anecsotrs’s cnotepmroareis, who dleyaed to pndoer the dtaa too mcuh bofere acitng, otefn wunod up as sbaer totoh dnnier. So, we hmauns leraend to flil in the blnkas, so to spaek, and to act qckuily uopn our prcepetaul asumstopins, ucnsoinocus or orhteisw, aobut the wrlod aournd us. Aals, the Unvirese is a dbloued egedd srowd, whit ervey gian cmeos a cerrospndoing lsos, hcene our dpleey ingriaend cpaciaty to see olny what we pferer to see and to dsirgeard raletiy. Glboal wrmrnig aynnoe?"

U know dem spell checkerz b mad cuz dey kant b understandin all diz textz
    History Reapeats Itself

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos83eye View Post
    Ima put it in facts section too, but found it in need here.........

As long as the first and last word are in place, MOST people can zone out and read through, all other letters can be jumbled and we still manage to decipher rather easily........hmmmmm.........interesting..........

Harry was just testing out ability to decipher

I think spelling is important, but if words can be spelled a different way and still carry the meaning or concept it was trying to send, it's a valid "WORD" and does what it was created to :D

Besides, wat wood dem wrapper do widout dat ebonics, den dem jus b schillin in dere patio not makin der muzik......:shiner:

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce...

Chip V2.0

btw I agree that it is the meaning not the spelling that is important.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Utter Nonsense

[quote=HarryChiling;263294] I could really care less about spelling. Microsoft builds software that spell checks, amazing how no matter how long this thread is gonna get I will never use it for a forum. I even have the IE spell checker installed and could use the little button to the top right and I'll never use it. Your moans and groans are futile. quote]

What arrogant crude!! 'If you don't like my spelling, don't read it'. Right out of a grade five (5) schoolground.

And all those Harry toadies who gush at being educated by Harry on this forum. Bah!! Go to opticianry school and get your optical own education, not what you pick up here and there on this forum. Professionals know how to spell... period. Professionals want and expect good spelling from their colleagues... always. Professionals own a dictionary and use it.

Harry...no matter what you know in opticianry, you will always appear a 'bumpkin' to any professional if you don't give a damn about your spelling. Typo's are not in the same category.
    RANT OVER

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hell, I thought professionals could also use quotation marks.

Occupation
    [quote=tmorse;263762]
    I could really care less about spelling. Microsoft builds software that spell checks, amazing how no matter how long this thread is gonna get I will never use it for a forum. I even have the IE spell checker installed and could use the little button to the top right and I'll never use it. Your moans and groans are futile. quote]

What arrogant crude!! 'If you don't like my spelling, don't read it'. Right out of a grade five (5) schoolground.

And all those Harry toadies who gush at being educated by Harry on this forum. Bah!! Go to opticianry school and get your optical own education, not what you pick up here and there on this forum. Professionals know how to spell... period. Professionals want and expect good spelling from their colleagues... always. Professionals own a dictionary and use it.

Harry...no matter what you know in opticianry, you will always appear a 'bumpkin' to any professional if you don't give a damn about your spelling. Typo's are not in the same category.
    RANT OVER
    That interesting I do have an education as well as all those fancy certifications, I can also spell and use dem big words. Oh, and I'm ESOL as well although most people say they can't tell. I have personally always come here for the content, but maybe I'm confused maybe this is a spelling, english, punctuation, or writers forum. If so then I am confused. Lets see:

Ophthalmic Optics Discussion of ophthalmic optics and related topics. Not for the faint of heart!
    Maybe the not for the faint of heart part is correct but if we are gonna talk about arrogant we should point out how those that are discussing a non-optical topic feel that the Ophthalmic Optics section of this forum is the right place for this. So we should spell correctly because it's what we as professionals do, but to catagorize our text in the correct place is, "not for the faint of heart". It's very childish IMO to moan and groan about things you have no way of changing. WHY WHY WHY would anyone care s much about the spelling when the content here is key? This is how ignorance prevails, imagine throwing away every book you have in your library or calling the author a bumkin because of a misspelling, how many books would you throw out? Now if it was communication of a professional nature correct spellign, grammer, etc. is of course important and not because this is what others expect from a professional, it's because what professional expect of themselves. Anyway I thought the last place this rederick would spill over into is this Ophthalmic Optics forum, I consider this hallowed gound so take your $h!t to some other forum and keep my name out of it if you don't want my opinion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Saw the smoke and had to come back and see what was burning.

Damn it's getting hot in here!!!!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pot calling the kettle black!

Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post

RANT OVER

Do those same professionals read what they write before bashing others? I would assume that it would be unprofessional not to!

Who is the 'bumpkin' now?
    :D:cheers::cheers::cheers:;)

Thread Information