Thread: Gym memberships?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gym memberships?

I have been thinking about joining a gym. I am on a free 2 week pass and have been working with a personal trainer so I can be bendy again and gain back some muscle tone (the gun show ain't what it used to be). I have went 4 times and loved it but I am worried I won't stay motivated once i sign up. I don't want it to be a big waste of money. What helps you stay committed to what you want to commit to? And any gym goers here......how often do you go, and what have been your results?

In search of bendiness and bigger guns,
    Nettie

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    I have went 4 times and loved it but I am worried I won't stay motivated once i sign up.
    Find another gym adn sign up for another 2 week trial?:o

I applaud your efforts towards bendiness. There's a good chance that once the guns start improving, that may be motivation enough to stick with it.

Good luck! :cheers: (no beer for you though)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stay with it, after a few weeks you will start feeling much better mentaly and physically. When the muscle tone begins to show and the flab disappers that will keep you going. I started a few months ago and it is great. I work out 4/5 days a week for an hour and a half. I lift a total of over 15k lbs and walk 2 miles on a tread mill each day I work out.
    FEELING GREAT AT 67 ! :)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    Stay with it, after a few weeks you will start feeling much better mentaly and physically. When the muscle tone begins to show and the flab disappers that will keep you going. I started a few months ago and it is great. I work out 4/5 days a week for an hour and a half. I lift a total of over 15k lbs and walk 2 miles on a tread mill each day I work out.

Bill West
    This ageless Paragon has 18 1/2 " arms, 48 " chest, 17 3/4 " neck & weights 205 pounds. "Maturity can be a new beginning when fed by exercise " says Bill, age 67.

Since Bill has retired, he can often be seen pulling his motorhome up the local mountains by his teeth.
    Once a sloth-like optician, he now has a goal to gain complete control of his body. After that, he hopes to someday regain control of his mind.

FEELING GREAT AT 67 ! :)
    Bill,

You give us hope!:cheers:

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wrong again

I weigh 215.:bbg:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    I weigh 215.:bbg:
    Yeah, but that's with your clothes on. They were talking about when you work out!:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can tell Bill is *Old School*.

You can only get pumped like that by having to adjust hundreds and hundreds of aluminum temples and screwing and unscrewing thousands of Red Dot screws!

Here is to you Bill!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

And Nettie.......I'll stick with my 12oz curls! I don't need no stinkin' gym!

;):cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have a trainer, go to the gym at least 3 days a week and my hubby says you can bounce a quarter off my butt! :bbg: Seriously, I have been going regularly for 4 years now and I love it. I feel great and look pretty dang good if I do say so myself.....I will say for us ladies especially what you eat is a huge part of the equation.

I am totally addicted now but that is OK with me, seems to be a better addiction than most others.

Go for it! We can have a pushup contest in Vegas!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    I have a trainer, go to the gym at least 3 days a week and my hubby says you can bounce a quarter off my butt! :bbg: as!

I don't know about that Karen...we're going to need some proof on that claim!:D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't understand why people say that going to the gym makes you mentally stronger or relieves stress. Definitely doesn't do either of those for me and I pretty much never want to go but I still do every week. I'm gaining more muscle (which is exactly what I want) but it's still an annoyance to go there all the time. I never get home from work and say "YEAH IT'S GYM TIME." I've never been excited to go ever. It seems like so much of a hassle but I still go because it is helping.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I don't know about that Karen...we're going to need some proof on that claim!:D
    You coming to Vegas??? I'll let you try it as long as hubby can supervise!;)
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well thanks for the encouragement. Bill and Karen are my heroes! I too will have a quarter bouncing butt soon!

I have been very lucky to not have weight issues (104) after 2 eight pound kids. But it is all slowly catching up with me.

I need to get past the intimidation of it all though. A couple of beeyotches were all whispering & pointing the other night. I checked to see if I had a booger and I didn't so I don't know what their problem was. I just need to not let it bother me. And at the end of my 6 week personal training program I will post my results. Thanks for the support!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

bounce

Karen, what if its a silver dollar?

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Bendiness, huh?

I've hit the gym most of my adult life (not always consistently). But, I am one of those weird people that enjoys it. Well, I enjoy the weights, but always hated cardio and always found it extremely difficult to motivate myself to do it. I now have all the weight equipment I need at home, but as I aged found the weights alone weren't meeting my fitness goals (particularly with a 5 year-old son). They still got me bigger and stonger, but moving around and doing it quickly wasn't as easy as it used to be.

So, a few moths ago I joined a martial arts studio that teaches primarily Karate with a few nights of Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu each month. And I love it more than I ever thought I would. I've gained all kinds of bendiness and a good amount of fitness already. Motivation is not a problem with scheduled classes and regular milestones (loving it doesn't hurt either). I do still try to hit the weights two nights a week. But at 38, I can see myself doing martial arts for the rest of my life. I know everyone is different, but I HIGHLY recommend at least trying it! A good MA studio offers so many benefits over an ordinary gym (just make sure you give the studio a trial run and find one you like before joining).

-Keith

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Good for you, I love working out it clears the mind my wife on the other hand hates workign out sees it as a chore. We have a treadmill, elliptical, freeweights and a universal in the basement as well as belong to Golds gym. We have belonged to a few different gyms and the one we liked the most had nice amenities like a liquor license sounds crazy but after workign out you can grab a beer before you head out. I run, box, and weightlift so consider myself a very active individual, if I didn't work out I might be up for weeks in a row so it helps me get to bed at night and keep a more normal sleep schedule.

Keith I agree with the MA, I got my wife into a boxing gym a few years back and when we joined a regular gym she would go into the weight room and work over a speed bag like no bodies business, it got to the point that guys in the regular gym were intimidated by her because she could hit the bag with a good rythm and keep it going.

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Oh yeah, I'm 235 and there are some ladies half my weight that can kick my butt up one side and down the other, which I think is pretty cool (and kinda fun ;).

For some strange reason, I never imagined hitting (and kicking) stuff could be such a blast. The other aspect of MA I really enjoy is the challenge and actualization of getting your body to do things it was previously unable to do (including bendiness), which also happens to translate real well into staving off the aging process.

One more thing... I've played sports, raced road bikes, lifted weights, and jogged (begrudgingly), but I have never gotten an endorphine rush like I get after an MA workout. That alone is worth the price of admission!

-Keith
    Last edited by keithbenjamin; 09-16-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post

I need to get past the intimidation of it all though. A couple of beeyotches were all whispering & pointing the other night. I checked to see if I had a booger and I didn't so I don't know what their problem was. I just need to not let it bother me. And at the end of my 6 week personal training program I will post my results. Thanks for the support!
    Nettie, I checked out your pics and you are super cute so they were probably just jealous....were they cardio bunnies???

Harry, you bring your dollar and I'll bring the booty!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You coming to Vegas??? I'll let you try it as long as hubby can supervise!;)
    Of course hubby can supervise! Someone's going to have to catch the quarter!;)

Occupation
    pick the place!!! hmmmmm.......maybe the Younger booth? at high noon?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    pick the place!!! hmmmmm.......maybe the Younger booth? at high noon?
    I don't know Karen, I think there's some kind of law that any act involving booties and quarters must be relegated to the Revolution booth, and I won't go w/in 50 yards of that place.

I guess the Younger booth would work. I was thinking you could just Youtube it fo rthe Optiboarders that won't be there.:bbg:

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I don't know Karen, I think there's some kind of law that any act involving booties and quarters must be relegated to the Revolution booth, and I won't go w/in 50 yards of that place.

I guess the Younger booth would work. I was thinking you could just Youtube it fo rthe Optiboarders that won't be there.:bbg:

Don't like their frames but I couldn't get close enough to the Revolution booth last year. :cheers:

Did you see all the T-shirts that guy destroyed?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Someone's going to have to catch the quarter!;)
    I'm there. Women, money, did someone say beers for the demo?

Occupation
    can't stand that Revolution guy....and I am way too classy for that booth anyway;) don't know how to post on You Tube so anyone who does is welcome to come and video it for Optiboard posterity......

Thread Information