Walmart Nikon lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart Nikon lenses?

I've never heard of Nikon lenses but a patient of mine was asking about walmart's top of the line lens... which is supposedly a "Nikon" lens. I called walmart and the optician there seemed to be more of a sales person than knowledgeable in optics (ie i asked if it was freeform and she was like "umm, I'm not sure what you mean but it has clarity throughout the lens and is made to the prescription"). I also asked who makes the lenses and she said she thought it was Essilor... so I thought maybe they were relabeling physio 360 lenses or something. She said that sounded right but definately was not confident in anything she answered... more than anything she was quoting me prices and what not ($359 retail for nikon high index lenses?). (quoting retail prices should be fine no?). Anyhow.. anyone have a better idea about what these lenses are about?

Nikon is in partnership with Essilor, but it has its own lenses. The product is very popular in Canada and Japan, but in the US has not done so well. That is probably why it is in Wal-Mart in the US (but not in Canada).

Comment

are they nice lenses?

freeform?

comparative to... ?

Comment

search for "walmart custom progressive" and 4 pages will appear on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecliptic View Post
          are they nice lenses?

freeform?

comparative to... ?
          yes, they are good lenses. Every major company has a good lens as its premium lens. I would say it is comparative to the Physio and Physio 360, since I know the lens is not completely backsided designed.

Comment

It's an accolade freedom in 1.67. So it compares to the physio 360

Comment

Originally posted by gunner05 View Post
              It's an accolade freedom in 1.67. So it compares to the physio 360
              Nope, Nikon does different lenses than Essilor. Actually, in several nations, Nikon competes against Essilor.

Comment

nikon acolade freedom

partly correct but her goes according to the essilor vp pres who spoke at our optical college they own nikon along with varilux and many others
                the acolade lens is a freeform and is a top of the line lens local private sales have it for 650 to 800 in florida and wal-mart sells it for 389
                as to comparison to the 360 physio from varilux the nikon offers a slightley wider intermediate channel and a much wider reading area.
                former wearers of the varilux 360 have said they prefer the nikon.
                as to why it is sold at wal-mart do some research about us we ranked highest in the us in quality of service,product and optical knowledge
                our independent doctors rated as well in fact one of the doctors working at a wal-mart holds 2 patents for multi focal contact lenses.
                and the most logical of reason is money and seeing how we sell more eye wear than any other company in the us i say essilor made the right choice
                with wal-mart i personally have fit this lens to a mentaly handicaped girl
                who had been wearing a bifocal and she responded as if she had no need for glasses her quality of life has been greatly enhanced.
                that is how easy this lens is for patients to wear.yes i work for wal-mart and i happen to be the number one seller of this lens in my district i also have a record of no remakes or so callled no adapts.

Comment

Originally posted by romancetech View Post
                  the acolade lens is a freeform and is a top of the line lens
                  You should have asked what makes it a FreeForm lens...Do you recieve a compensated Rx from the lab? If you do, that would show that you are recieving a True Customized that has be modified based on the vertex distance,frame wrap and frame shape. If you do not recieve a compensated Rx, the chances are, that you may simply be getting a molded front surface lens that is processed on a FreeForm Generator. Sounds like the VP is trying to Muddy the FreeForm waters.

Comment

The United States of America (USA)

Hi Romancetech.
                    I applaud your loyalty towards Wal-Mart Optical.
                    I find it, however, a stretch to claim that your Co. "ranks highest in quality, product, and optical knowledge in " The USA!

James :cheers:

Comment

as to why it is sold at wal-mart do some research about us we ranked highest in the us in quality of service,product and optical knowledge

Ranked by who---WalMart themselves?

I thought that it was Costco that rated so high!

Comment

partly correct but her goes according to the essilor vp pres who spoke at our optical college they own nikon along with varilux and many others
                        the acolade lens is a freeform and is a top of the line lens local private sales have it for 650 to 800 in florida and wal-mart sells it for 389
                        as to comparison to the 360 physio from varilux the nikon offers a slightley wider intermediate channel and a much wider reading area.
                        former wearers of the varilux 360 have said they prefer the nikon.
                        our independent doctors rated as well in fact one of the doctors working at a wal-mart holds 2 patents for multi focal contact lenses.
                        and the most logical of reason is money and seeing how we sell more eye wear than any other company in the us i say essilor made the right choice
                        with wal-mart i personally have fit this lens to a mentaly handicaped girl
                        who had been wearing a bifocal and she responded as if she had no need for glasses her quality of life has been greatly enhanced.
                        that is how easy this lens is for patients to wear.yes i work for wal-mart and i happen to be the number one seller of this lens in my district i also have a record of no remakes or so callled no adapts.
                        Chocked full of so much mis-information I don't know where to start. Please don't believe everything you hear.

As a private optical we sell the Accolade Freedom for $390 bundled w/ 1.67 and Alize. And we actually offer a warranty. It's also available in poly, poly trans, CR-39, 1.60, 1,60 Trans, 1.74, poly polar and others. Yet WM sells it only in 1.67.:hammer: I can provide an Accolade Freedom much less expensively than you can, and I will actually do what's best for the client.
                        I like to provide it in 1.60 for my high cyl patients. Do you know why? I guess it doesn't matter, you really don't have a suitable choice on your menu for a high cyl patient.

Essilor does not own Nikon.

Comment

Originally posted by For-Life View Post
                          Nope, Nikon does different lenses than Essilor. Actually, in several nations, Nikon competes against Essilor.
                          Nope, I work for walmart and can personally tell you that it's an accolade freedom. Essilor owns the Nikon name in the USA. These lenses are made in their dallas avisia lab. It also comes with a hydrophobic AR called Nikon AST.

Comment

Originally posted by gunner05 View Post
                            Nope, I work for walmart and can personally tell you that it's an accolade freedom. Essilor owns the Nikon name in the USA. These lenses are made in their dallas avisia lab. It also comes with a hydrophobic AR called Nikon AST.
                            So it has the same fitting marks at the Accolade?

Comment

Dude, it even says accolade freedom on our selling mats, which I usually ignore.

Comment

Working...
                              X