Walmart Nikon lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i might be noob here to say this

But Essilor does have partnership with Nikon(in fact it has got 60:40 shares with Nikon Japan) thats how it has been projected here in India for the last 5 years

And in fact (Rejuvenated) Nikon Range in the last year or so has grabbed big market share in the High Index market

Though i never heard of Accolade Freedom from Nikon but we do get Nikon Presio W (double side Surfaced/Aspheric design PAL ) as Nikon Premium progresive with SHE coat(will cost around $xxx approximately for CR-39). It's been marketed as PAL with Aberration Filter and best for Complex Astigamtic Presbyopes.
    Last edited by drbalaji; 10-29-2008, 09:47 AM.

Comment

RE: Nikon and Essilor

Originally posted by For-Life View Post
      Nope, Nikon does different lenses than Essilor. Actually, in several nations, Nikon competes against Essilor.
      Nikon and Essilor have cross marketing and manufacturing agreements in a few countries. Some Nikon lenses come off the Essilor line in Dallas, such as the See-Max. When Essilor bought the Definity from J&J they also received a very cost effective (and patented) system for making free-form lenses that they have adapted to the rest of Essilor line. I believe it was 2 years ago they moved all of the Definity equipment from Virginia to Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecliptic View Post
        I've never heard of Nikon lenses but a patient of mine was asking about walmart's top of the line lens... which is supposedly a "Nikon" lens. I called walmart and the optician there seemed to be more of a sales person than knowledgeable in optics (ie i asked if it was freeform and she was like "umm, I'm not sure what you mean but it has clarity throughout the lens and is made to the prescription"). I also asked who makes the lenses and she said she thought it was Essilor... so I thought maybe they were relabeling physio 360 lenses or something. She said that sounded right but definately was not confident in anything she answered... more than anything she was quoting me prices and what not ($359 retail for nikon high index lenses?). (quoting retail prices should be fine no?). Anyhow.. anyone have a better idea about what these lenses are about?

I work at walmart. It is a "Nikon Customized Lens"
        They say its the best of the best. I know it isnt the best. nor do i advertise it as. I just joined the forum and still trying to learn so please be patient with me if I make any mistakes.

It is is supposed to widen out the corridors and let people gain the periphial vision. Couple years back walmart and sam's club didnt have this(While i was going to commnity college) but now they are advertising it and pushing sales.

The lenses cost 389 dollars. I dont know if there is a specific way to measure otu the hour glass or what not.

It is also a 1.67 Poly

Comment

del, it's not just a "nikon customized." Look at your selling mat/prog identifier and you'll see that it's actually an accolade freedom. Also, 1.67 isn't poly, it's high index. Where are you located, btw?

Comment

Originally posted by Delgadido View Post
            It is also a 1.67 Poly

Is it?

Delgadido,

Poly and 1.67 are two totally different materials. They are not the same.

Is the lens 1.67 or is it poly, or can it be made in both materials?

Comment

Originally posted by gunner05 View Post
              del, it's not just a "nikon customized." Look at your selling mat/prog identifier and you'll see that it's actually an accolade freedom. Also, 1.67 isn't poly, it's high index. Where are you located, btw?
              yea i am from texas, I had another thread introducing myself and what not. I am not ABO certified and the fact that in this board. I am considered a "newbie". I joined these boards to increase my knowledge. I am currently going to school but I work at a walmart(which is the reason) cause they work with my hours and they give me good pay(opticians dont get paid well in texas)
              I was taught that 1.67 is a denser grades of polycarbonate.

Cause High index plastic does exist So i am following off what I was taught. But if you could explain to me how the material is different that

But it is 1.67 high index

and at walmart we dont have indentifiers
              Originally posted by Fezz View Post
              Is it?

Delgadido,

Poly and 1.67 are two totally different materials. They are not the same.

Is the lens 1.67 or is it poly, or can it be made in both materials?
              above.

Comment

I was taught that 1.67 is a denser grades of polycarbonate.

Cause High index plastic does exist So i am following off what I was taught. But if you could explain to me how the material is different that
                The two materials have many differences.They are made with different chemicals/materials. Here are a few differences:

Poly /1.67
                Abbe value= 30/32
                Index of refraction= 1.586/1.661
                Specific Gravity= 1.20/1.37

Comment

The two materials have many differences.They are made with different chemicals/materials. Here are a few differences:

Poly /1.67
                  Abbe value= 30/32
                  Index of refraction= 1.586/1.661
                  Specific Gravity= 1.20/1.37
                  interesting.

but high index chemical makeup is based off of poly correct?

Comment

interesting.

but high index chemical makeup is based off of poly correct?
                    No.

Comment

No.
                      Now what is high index plastic?

Comment

Now what is high index plastic?

Various formulations of polyurethane.

Hopefully some of our brighter members can chime in on this.

Comment

You should have two forms of prog identifiers. One will be similar to a magazine and is updated every year or so. It lists pretty much anything that you'll routinely deal with. The other is a walmart only identifier that lists the lenses that we carry and even has the the fitting diagrams as well. Ask your manager about them as they'll make your life a lot easier later.

Comment

Originally posted by James Peterson View Post
                            Hi Romancetech.
                            I applaud your loyalty towards Wal-Mart Optical.
                            I find it, however, a stretch to claim that your Co. "ranks highest in quality, product, and optical knowledge in " The USA!

James :cheers:
                            LMAO! That was great, James!!!

Why is it that at least once a week, I get someone who got their glasses at Wal Mart, who needs me to troubleshoot them?!?!

Comment

Hi index lenses are made of a denser material which allows light to travel faster than in Poly which is a more "softer" lens, which is why poly is impact resistant.

The problems with Poly arise when a patient has a high cylinder. Distortion becomes a major issue, as well as chromatic abberations. Some patients report "shadows" with poly more than they do in any other lens.

Hi Index lenses are much more dense, thinner and allow more light to pass through into the eye. It is more favorable for astigmatics as the distortion is minimized.

Always, always, always match the material the patient has been wearing. Tap the lens with a ring, or take it out of the frame and just lightly drop it on the counter in the lab, (careful if it's a glass lens) it will make a hollow sound if it is poly, or a more high pitched plastic sound if it is hi index. CR39 makes a thud.

HOWEVER if distortion is still a problem with a high astigmatic in a hi index, put the patient in CR39 if all else fails. If the patient wears glass, never put the patient in plastic. He/she will hate it! Light travels the fastest in glass.

Hope this helps! :)

Comment

http://www.laramyk.com/tools/lad/index.html#

Good link. IF you type "Accolade" or "Accolade Freedom", it'll show you the identifier. Click on the blue magnifier on the left side.
                                Accolade= Nikon Poly Asph
                                Accolade Freedom= Nikon 1.67 Customized

Comment

Working...
                                X