View Poll Results: Of the following, what do you most fear?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • A terrorist attack that directly affects your person

2 6.06%
  • A meteorite strike that ends life on this planet

2 6.06%
  • A nuclear holocaust

3 9.09%
  • Contracting a life-changing/ending disease

15 45.45%
  • A worldwide shortage of petroleum products/energy

2 6.06%
  • A worldwide shortage of Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch

9 27.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear Poll

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Fear Poll

Since the press is so fond of saying that we are "living in fear," I figured we might as well research what we actually fear most!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    God

Chip

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Are you equating the two words in your post, Chip? ;) Or, are you showing your religious humility by using a larger font for the Supreme Being than for your own name? Or, are you saying you fear God the most?

If the latter, please note I said "Of the following..." Naturally, I assume there are many here who would agree with the conclusions of Solomon in Ecclesiastes...

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.
    However, there are no doubt also those of us who don't proscribe to the "fear God" option... so, I deliberately left it out of the equation.

That said, you have to admit that a world without Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch is a world where the living would envy the dead!

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    You left out one Pete. Isnt it a pretty common fear that one might accidentally leave home in their underwear and not realize it until it was too late?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete:

The fear of God is the only one I admit to. (Others have doubted this when they see me step on a cottonmouth while fishing) but that aside I think that if you fear God, you need fear nothing else.
    Only God can condem you to Hell (and I am conviced this will be my fate). Others can only cause you temporary pain or death.

Chip (I don't know if there's a heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell) Anderson

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Even though I tell myself and every one that I'm not going to change my life because of terrorists, I subconsciencely know there is a fear within me with whatever I do now, much more awareness, always check out people with backpacks and wires hanging out of them, probably just portable cd player or headset for cell phone.
    But a little scary just the same.
    Rich R.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A terrorist attack that directly affects your person Naw. I used to live in a part of a city that was anything but civil. A neighbor once shot a bullet through our dining room window aiming at her ex-husband, someone shot my parents car a couple of times, I was mugged once. Coming home from work at 11:00 at night was scarry; I am not afraid of the very slim odds of a terrorist directly affecting my person.

A meteorite strike that ends life on this planet I don't believe one is due to hit the earth any time in my lifetime.

A nuclear holocaust Hmm. The Russians can't afford to bomb anyone. This would rely on India or Pakistan, etc. actually being able to successfiully launch a bomb without accidentally taking themselves out with it. Most of the nuclear power plants in my area are currently not active.

Contracting a life-changing/ending disease Nope. For one thing, there are too many of them out there to be worrying about them all of the time.

A worldwide shortage of petroleum products/energy It would be weird at first but we would adapt. It isn't like we haven't been there before.

A worldwide shortage of Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch Actually, my favorite would be regular Cap'n Crunch. Even worse would be a shortage of caffeinated products. If you take my coffee away from me, we won't have to worry about "Binny." Just drop me from an airplane over Afganistan and I will hunt him down and beat him to death with my empty coffee mug.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You forgot being fat. Or does that come under life-changing illness? :)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If you had said CRUNCHBERRIES......

Pete, If you had said CRUNCHBERRIES I would have had to vote differently!I voted because I wanted to sample the respondants to see if I was in the mainstream.Since I'm not afraid of losing peanut butter, or crunch I voted for something else....and found I was pretty much in the mainstream.Of course I don't do as much as I could to calm the fear of a life threatening/changing disease...which will serve as today's reminder to quit smoking.Thanks for sending the wake up call!

Maria! Nice to see your posts again!

best from harry
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    [i]Originally posted by Jo
    A worldwide shortage of Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch Actually, my favorite would be regular Cap'n Crunch. Even worse would be a shortage of caffeinated products. If you take my coffee away from me, we won't have to worry about "Binny." Just drop me from an airplane over Afganistan and I will hunt him down and beat him to death with my empty coffee mug.
    :bbg: :bbg: Good one Jo

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While a world without Cap'n Crunch is difficult to imagine, life without good cigars and single malt scotch is just not life anymore.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PSU may actually win a game this season........:D

My greatest fear...that some day I'll wake up..realise the last 40 years was a dream and have to live it all over again.........

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Harry,
    I sit here puffing on my Savinelli even as I read your post concerning smoking! ;)

Actually, Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch is sort of a metaphor for losing the thing in life you most enjoy (e.g., Football, Scotch, Your Sports Car, perhaps your children, or even your favorite show on TV).

The point being, there is little sense in fearing something that is outside of your control. It doesn't matter whether I fear a nuclear holocaust or not... if it is going to happen, it will be because of forces beyond my control (now, if you are JF Kennedy in the early 60's, there may have been a point of fearing a nuclear strike- since you came close to causing one! ).

Not to make a habit of quoting scriptures, but I believe it says in Matthew somewhere
    Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
    Seems to me that is good advice for everyone right now- whether you happen to believe those were the words of Christ or you believe they were written by some first century wise guy!

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OH,no....Auntie Em, Auntie Em......JoePa did it........

Actually, my greatest fear is having lived my life and at the end, realising that I never made a difference!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yes, Penn State finally won a game! Now, if the other Blue and White team in my life could figure out how to beat the pathetic Patriots!

I used to worry about "not making a difference" too. However, very few people have the opportunity to make such a difference that people will remember them in 100 years anyway. I mean, we all can't be Abraham Lincoln, William Shakespeare, or Socrates!

Now I satisfy myself with "making a difference with the people I meet today" (my employees, my family, sometimes even patients ;) ). In particular, I suppose we make a difference with our children- however, even they tend to grow older and forget (I've been to too many nursing homes dispensing glasses to believe that children always remember their parents).

Sorry if this sounds glum, but the fact is- few of us do make a lasting difference in the world (to gain this perspective, stand alone on a vast beach some day and just comprehend the world's vastness and your own insignificance). Not to say you can't have a blast affecting those around you as much as you can- I just don't worry about 100 years from now as much as I used to...

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    Now I satisfy myself with "making a difference with the people I meet today" (my employees, my family, sometimes even patients ;) ). ... - I just don't worry about 100 years from now as much as I used to
    See, that's the thing guys. You can make a difference that will affect people 100 years from now; they just might not know who started it all.

Remember the movie Pay It Forward and think about it. All it would take is to do something kind for one person and have it make a difference in that one person's life. That person who's life may be changed by your action will go out and make a difference in another's life. That is how one of your actions today will be remembered 100 years from now.

Occupation
    I fear Pete's new avatar!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, Pete, you are quite correct!

We can change the world one person at a time. If you can go through life and be a positive influence on at least one other person's life...than you did your job.

Oh and as far as the need to FEAR God, as far as I am concerned, any religion that wants you to FEAR God is about as worthless as one that approves killing your fellow man in God's name.

God has enough problems...so don't lay that kinda garbage on Him (or Her?).

We have nothing to fear but fear itself.....and the loss of fine cigars and a really good sour mash bourbon (Scotch:p )

Move the Ravens to Indy and the Coats back to Balmer and everything will be right with the world again!

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    What about fearing FEAR itself ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fear can save your deriere but it can also breed paranoia that will paralyze you. The press is keeping us in suspense, making sure we tune in everyday to check and see what is next. We actually have less to fear right now than we did just over a month ago.

After 9-11 it is highly unlikely that anyone will try and hijack a plane. The main reason terrorists are likely to be on a commercial plane right now is in an attempt to get themselves out of the country before we find them. If the passengers and crew don't take out any potential assailants, the military will.

Last night, a news magazine on TV featured an interview with Liza Minelli. She put up a brave front singing at the ballpark but all that has changed since the Anthrax scare. She was asked to sing at one of the benefit concerts this past weekend and refused the invite. Apparently, she said why she should risk her life for a "bleeping" concert. I had to laugh. So far only a few politicians and the press are being targeted and a few unfortunate postal workers have accidentally become infected. Here is a woman that smoked, drank, took drugs and tried to kill herself a couple of times and she is afraid of Anthrax? If all of those other things didn't kill her, I don't think she has to worry about Anthrax. I am more afraid of being mowed down by an idiot on I-95 or I-84 than I am of Anthrax but I still get on the interstate everyday. The fireman and policeman in NYC and the Pentagon didn't know whether or not another plane was going to strike but they ran into the buildings anyway but Minelli couldn't show up at a benefit concert for them? Shame on her.

This is the negative form of fear. A case of just being afraid without any real cause. Minelli has let herself become a victim of the terrorists because she is letting them terrorize her life. There is nothing wrong with being cautious but you can't let it get to the extent where you give up living or they have won. I'll be damned if I am going to let them win.

Occupation

Angry Well said Jo

Originally posted by Jo
    Here is a woman that smoked, drank, took drugs and tried to kill herself a couple of times and she is afraid of Anthrax? If all of those other things didn't kill her, I don't think she has to worry about Anthrax. I am more afraid of being mowed down by an idiot on I-95 or I-84 than I am of Anthrax but I still get on the interstate everyday.
    I am so sick of the self grandiosement of the Hollywood set I could scream!
    "OOPS, better cancel the Emmy's because we're so important how would the world live without us?" Oh, Please! Binny, be my guest and while you're at it you can have everyone starting with Barbra Streisand who thought she understood better than all other Americans who to vote for. Take her and her buddies who said they would leave the country if Bush won the election. They haven't left yet. Perhaps they haven't found suitable accomodations. Surely you have a few nice bombed out condos in Kabul and they can entertain your troops?

Like Jo, the thing that I really fear most is people reacting with paranoia and the media spurring it on. We are going to self trash our economy and way of life if we're not careful. I drink wine, almost daily, smoke, eat red meat and egad! drive in and out of the streets of Manhatten and on the LA Freeways! Too busy indulging all these bad habits for anthrax!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I imagine the imminent departure of Barbra is what swung it for Bush in the first place :)

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Everyone,

I love where this thread has gone :) Yes, if BS (Barbara Striesand) "threatening" to leave the country swung it for George W. Bush I would be overwhelmed with joy.

I agree that these people have put themselves on such a pedastal that they feel as though they are all national treasures. I have news for them; the only reason any of them have ever had hit movies is because of the supporting casts in the films they were in .

Liza Manelli??? I thought she was dead already. BS??? Did anyone actually see Yentel or any of her other movies besides "What's Up Doc." "For Pete's sake" or "The Owl and the Pussycat"??? I watched the afore mentioned only because BS proved that a woman with a big nose could wear tight close and short skirts well. As to what she knows about politics...Maybe she spent some "Quality time" with Bill Clinton ;) BS, Liza and the rest of that bunch are all whining maggots.

Anyway...I think everyone should fear Me. Why? Because I said so that's why! I'm a little ticked off that Pete didn't include that one in the voting line up :) What do I fear? Not a whole heck of a lot. I've been thinking about what it is I might be afraid of and just can't think of anything. If anyone has any suggestions let me know and I'll try them out and see. Well, maybe a fear of bungie jumping or parachuting but I'm not sure. I can't see jumping out of a perfectly good plane or off of a bridge with ropes to hold my feet that just seems silly to me :) I don't think I'm afraid of it but I wouldn't want to do either. Unless I was really drunk and needed to vomit :)

Take care,

Darris C.

Occupation

Confused Fear, lengthy but please read to end!

* The date of the first attack: 9/11: 9+1+1 =11
    * Sept. 11th is the 254th day of the year: 2+5+4=11
    * After Sept.11 there are 111 days left to the end of the year
    * 119 is the area code to Iran/Iraq: 1+1+9 = 11
    * Twin Towers standing side by side, looked like the number 11
    * The first plane to hit the towers was Flight 11

There's more.............................

* State of New York - the 11 State added to the Union
    * New York City: 11 letters
    * Afghanistan: 11 letters
    * The Pentagon: 11 letters
    * Ramsi Yousef (convicted of orchestrating the attack on the WTC in 1993) : 11 letters
    * Flight 11: 92 on board 9+2=11
    * Flight 77: 65 on board 6+5=11

Oh my God! How worried should I be???? There are 11 letters in Chreitzberg!!!!! There are 11 letters in Optical Diva!!!!!!! I'm going into hiding NOW! See you in a few weeks.
    Wait a sec.....just realized: "YOU CAN'T HIDE" also has 11 letters!

What am I gonna do?:hammer: Help me!!!! The terrorists are after me! Me! I can't believe it!
    Oh cr*p, there must be some place on Planet Earth I could hide, but no.............
    Planet Earth has 11 letters, too!
    Maybe the teachings of Nostradamus can help me.
    But I don't dare trust him...... Nostradamus: 11 letters!

I know, the Red Cross can help. No they can't.......11 letters in "The Red Cross", can't trust them!

I would follow Darris' advice and rely on self-defense, but SELF DEFENSE has 11 letters in it, too!

Can someone help me? Anyone? If so, send me email. No don't!!!
    "Send me email" has 11 letters......Will this never end?
    I'm going insane! "GOING INSANE" ! Eleven letters!:drop:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll die alone, even though "I'LL DIE ALONE" has 11 letters.

Oh my God, I just realized America is doomed!!!!!

Our Independence Day is July 4....7/4:::7+4=11!!!!!!!!!!

L. Huntington Chreitzberg .............Oh my god! 2X11!!!!!!!!!

P.S. "It's B******t" has 11 letters too!;)
    Last edited by LaurieC; 10-23-2001 at 07:41 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laurie (dramatic pause), have you been listening to the voices that only you can hear again? ;)

Thread Information