Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Eyewear Rep seeking advice from Opticians/Eyewear Reps

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

New Eyewear Rep seeking advice from Opticians/Eyewear Reps

Hello,

I have been selling capital equipment (retinal cameras, visual fields) for the past 5 years, and am making the change to eyewear. I just got hired on to Viva, and I'm excited about doing something new.

Because I have no experience in this part of the industry, I'm looking for any tips or advice any of you reps, or even Opticians could give me. Anything you could tell me, no matter how insignificant it may be, would be very helpful.

Thanks so much!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The best advice I can give is don't whine if the optician says no.Accept it graciously and maybe next time he or she will buy.

Many a sales rep I have refused to buy from because they started to sing the blues.

Best of luck

Alan

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by c6z chick View Post
    Hello,

Anything you could tell me, no matter how insignificant it may be, would be very helpful.

Thanks so much!
    Try to find out why the person you replaced was replaced, and do something different.

You've took the job, so it's too late to give you good advice, but in this environment, you're going really work hard to distinguish yourself from the rest of the pack. I don't know Viva's product line, but hopefully, they're offering something as a company that buyers can't find elsewhere; just as you, as a rep must offer something the other reps can't/don't.

Best wishes, and good luck!:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Where ARE my manners!?!?

Welcome to Optiboard!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Do us all a favour and call ahead to set up an appointment. Many times I'm too busy and a salesman is the last thing I want to or can see. An appointment gives everyone concerned a chance to prepare and get things done properly.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thanks all, keep them coming!

Occupation
    Which lines are you carrying??
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Always bring at the very least, donuts, coffee and some chocolate covered almonds are always nice. :D

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper RE" mooches.......................

Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Always bring at the very least, donuts, coffee and some chocolate covered almonds are always nice.
    In reference to all these mooches that want you to bring from donuts to whole meals...............open your sample cases before you hand them the goodies.

.............and don't get broke ot fat doing so 3-4 times a day.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't know about the west coast but here in New England you'd have a problem as Viva is a part of Davis Vision. Davis is a managed care plan that opened it's own stores with I believe all or mostly Viva frames. I stopped carrying Viva when this occurred. Be prepared to hear this from independents you visit.

I still wish you good luck as you learn the language of a frame rep!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Don't know about the west coast but here in New England you'd have a problem as Viva is a part of Davis Vision. Davis is a managed care plan that opened it's own stores with I believe all or mostly Viva frames. I stopped carrying Viva when this occurred. Be prepared to hear this from independents you visit.

Then again, Davis is cheap as h%%&, so I'm not sure how many people will accept their reimbursement.

Make an appt, and be on time. Do not make a cold call with a huge rolling case of frames in tow. If you make a cold call, put a couple of the best sellers in your pocket. Come in and introduce yourself. If you get a couple minutes to talk, show your best few and try to make an appt for another day.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My suggestions: first, keep your eyes and ears open. Learn from as many people as you can. Uncle Fester and I have "trained" a few reps who came to opthalmic frames with no background in optics. You have some background, but you're lacking information about how frames/lenses/Rxs/patient measurements interact with each other. The more you learn, the more help you can be to your accounts; you'll then know the good frames from the ones which no good optician wants to dispense.

Second, I am more interested in what the "best sellers" are in my geographical area and patient demographic, and not in what's selling best nationally. You might find other opticians think that way, too.

Third, when you approach an independent, re-read Uncle Fester's postand realize that most of us are not interested in lines that are for sale through Davis Vision or in the big-box stores. If you want us to carry your line(s), show us something that'll help us differentiate ourselves from them.

And fourth, I add my voice to the others asking you to call ahead, make appointments rather than cold calls and be on time (or if you know you can't be, call and ask if it's still ok to come or whether to reschedule). I'd also add, be patient with us. If you're dealing with optician-buyers like Uncle Fester and me, and many others on this board, we may be occupied with patients and you may be sitting for awhile. Please understand that we must always put the patient first.

Many buyers, whether opticians or otherwise, do not treat reps well. Many of us have learned that we get more from our reps by being respectful and honest, but others aren't. Please don't take it personally; and also, please don't take it personally if someone isn't interested in your lines. All of us have to make choices about how we stock our dispensaries, and only rarely will those choices be based on who the rep is.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to OptiBoard! :cheers:
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All of the above, plus make sure you are on top of Credits/Returns.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

I also have dropped all Viva because of that. Be aware many others will feel the same if they're independent.

And I agree- no cold calls, call for an appointment. Or if you do cold call - just say it's for introduction and ask if they can schedule you later.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Remember who you work for, your accounts. It's their $'s that sign your check. Always schedule yourself, dropping in during busy hours can be counter-productive. Make sure you keep current merchandise in your accounts stores and do everything you can to track down that 2 yr. old discontinued frame sitting in the warehouse. Listen to your accounts needs, don't try to force a line on them that they don't need/want, that might get you shut-out. A smile and a good attitude can work wonders.

Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    - Don't make any deals/offers you can't keep.
    - Also make sure you are respectful and courteous to everyone you deal with. I have refused to work with a rep on a couple of occasions because of their reputation within the industry (and how they treat people)

Just my two cents.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't BS and lie!

We will know and sniff it out rather quick. And believe me, this is a small business and word spreads quicker than my gullet on 1/2 off ale nights at the local Stumble Inn!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    You all are fantastic. Thank you so much for all the great information!!

I'm new to this part of the industry, and didn't realize the connection to Davis...that's kind of a bummer. More than anything (even the $$ aspect), I want to be a success. I find this work much more interesting than the equipment I've previously sold. My regional manager jumped through hoops to hire me, and I'm just trying to prove that I was worth it!

Thanks again all!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Always bring at the very least, donuts, coffee and some chocolate covered almonds are always nice. :D
    Noted!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    In reference to all these mooches that want you to bring from donuts to whole meals...............open your sample cases before you hand them the goodies.
    Haha, I'm glad that was added!! The details, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    .............and don't get broke ot fat doing so 3-4 times a day.
    I think I'm also going to have to post a note to myself "No sampling the donuts, no sampling the donuts!"

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by c6z chick View Post
    Noted!

Haha, I'm glad that was added!! The details, right?

I think I'm also going to have to post a note to myself "No sampling the donuts, no sampling the donuts!"

SAMPLE THE DONUTS!

I have this thing about eating poisoned food. :cheers:

Occupation
    And again I'll stress this part: NEVER LIE TO A CUSTOMER !! If you don't know the answer tell them so, but also tell them that you will find an honest answer for them.

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Always remember that buyers don't always say what they mean. I spend most of my appointments or cold calls talking about non optical stuff. You build from that. If they like you THEY WILL BUY!! maybe

I have many accounts that are appointment only DO NOT STOP BY WITHOUT ONE. OH except for me and well this girl and that guy thats it. They don't always say what they mean! THEY DONT ALWAYS SAY WHAT THEY MEAN.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    SAMPLE THE DONUTS!

I have this thing about eating poisoned food. :cheers:
    No!!!! I'm getting married next year and need to fit into a pretty white dress. No donuts for me! :(

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optirep View Post
    Always remember that buyers don't always say what they mean. I spend most of my appointments or cold calls talking about non optical stuff. You build from that. If they like you THEY WILL BUY!! maybe.
    I don't have to like you - keep me current - find me that 2 year disco burried in the warehouse - This is a working relationship it needs to be professional and respectful. Don't tell me that "humanizing" story you rehearsed in the mirror. And I will help insure that you can continue to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by optirep View Post
    I have many accounts that are appointment only DO NOT STOP BY WITHOUT ONE. OH except for me and well this girl and that guy thats it. They don't always say what they mean! THEY DONT ALWAYS SAY WHAT THEY MEAN.
    Don't ever disbelieve me. appointments are appointments be on time. don't ever mix in a piece from a line I said no to. net X means net X not X+1 I ALWAYS SAY WHAT I MEAN

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

frame rep

Wow. I'm new to the board but I have to say I'm impressed with the willingness to share and the quality of the advice given here. I've hired and trained dozens of reps, and was one myself for years in frames, lab equipment and supplies, sunglasses, contacts, lenses...just about everything optical at one time or another and I have to say the best comment in here is to be honest and integral. Never never never pad an order or say something you know to be untrue.
    Next is with respect to being professional...on time, upfront, taking a 'no' graciously; follow-up is where your reputation comes from...but the thing that will get you noticed is working your butt off. It's a numbers game and the more calls you can make, the better your results will be and the faster your experience grows.

My 2 cents worth...have fun. It's a great job and can be very rewarding for those who can cut it.

Thread Information