Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prescription Expiration

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Prescription Expiration

Ok, so we are an idependiant optical shop in Arizona. I searched everywhere and was wondering is there such a law that prescriptions expire? I have worked for Opthalmologists my whole life and they always told their patients to come back in one year for a new prescription.

Is it that the Rx is good for 2 years by law, unless the Dr. puts and expiration date on it?

I know the Dr's want the patients back every year, but is there an auctual law that states this information? Anyone know?
    Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It probably varies by state. You should check with your state regulatory boards.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=SpecFitter;260749]
    Is it that the Rx is good for 2 years by law, unless the Dr. puts and expiration date on it?
    quote]

That is true for many states, but as Judy says, check with your state.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know here in AL if a Dr. (OMD or OD) does not specify an expiration date for a glasses Rx, it is valid for 2 years and for contact lenses is 1 year. However, there are some Dr's that write all their Rx expiration dates for 1 year and there are others who never write an expiration date. I have noticed that more OD's write Rx's for 1 year and most OMD's don't specify an expiration date.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here in Mississippi the Rx only expires if written by an O.D. or is stated on the Rx by OMD.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

AL Rx Expiration date

Actually, In Alabama, all OD's are required (see Alabama Adminstrative Code below)to include an expiration date. MD's follow their own rules. I think it's probably good idea (for a spectacle Rx) to at least check with the Doc after a year if it has no date (OD or MD). By doing so, you are looking out for the patient AND helping to keep remakes to a minimum (this also helps to keep your prices to your patients under control)win-win-win-win:cheers:

From the Alabama Adminstrative Code:
    630-X-12-.03 Release of Patient Records. The Board shall deem it unprofessional conduct for a licensee to fail to release information in a patient's record to said patient, provided, however, that no record need be released until all reasonable fees have been paid by said patient to the licensee, and provided further that a reasonable fee may be charged for providing a copy of information to said patient. This rule shall include the release of contact lens prescriptions, sufficient to order replacement lenses, to the patient, provided that a complete contact lens prescription has been determined and evaluated. A reasonable expiration date shall be set forth on all prescriptions. After said expiration date, a licensee shall be required to release said prescription only to a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist of the patient's choice and said prescription shall be clearly marked with the expiration date and the words "EXPIRED. FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    In Indiana, you can specify an expiration date on glasses, but it is not required. It is 12 months on CL's though.
    -Steve

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess I will call The Board on Monday :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In California an expiration must be on ALL prescriptions. Not less than 2 years and not more than 4. The rx can have a 1 year expiration under certain conditions. A few ODs in town put 1 year on about all of them. The MDs all have 2 year expiration preprinted on their rx forms.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These expiration-date laws, and how they relate to eyewear and potential harm, simply escapes me!

Most respondents say that "you wouldn't want a refill to be associated with missed-eye disease." No, I wouldn't.
    But I'm a fair-minded guy, and I would like emmetropes to get the same level of care as well.
    So, do eyewear Rx expiration dates really imply "Mandatory 2 year eye exams"?
    And should this apply to emmetropes?.

Just what harm is there if a non-optimal Rx is worn, really?
    I mean really?

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    These expiration-date laws, and how they relate to eyewear and potential harm, simply escapes me!

Most respondents say that "you wouldn't want a refill to be associated with missed-eye disease." No, I wouldn't.
    But I'm a fair-minded guy, and I would like emmetropes to get the same level of care as well.
    So, do eyewear Rx expiration dates really imply "Mandatory 2 year eye exams"?
    And should this apply to emmetropes?.

Just what harm is there if a non-optimal Rx is worn, really?
    I mean really?

Barry
    I can think of a few situations where harm might occur...
    ...the young myopic student who may not speak up and his parents just have his glasses copied for the sake of convenience or economics
    ...the young hyperopic child who may have worsening amblyopia and doesn't know it
    ...the myopic/diabetic bus driver whose VA change has gone unnoticed
    ...the teenager (or adult) developing corneal neovascularization who keeps ordering CLs without an exam or recheck of the fit

I don't have all the answers, but yes, even some emmetropes should have mandatory exams like bus drivers, pilots, those who carry a gun,...and wouldn't you want young students to have an exam every few years even if they were previously thought to be emmetropic?

I'm not saying don't duplicate a pair of glasses for someone in a bind, but some guidelines should be in place. For some to say "there should be no guidelines" for Rx duplication, and for some to say "there should be a mandatory eye exam for everybody every six months" would be rediculous. Too bad there is so much variation from state to state. NYS allows any pair of eyeglasses to be duplicated without limit.

And please, before a flame war starts, I am not trying to be cynical or inflammatory...and the current state of affairs is due to a little bit of "error" on the part of all O professions.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Acutually on the same subject, while I am a Pro-gun anti-governement restriction on anything nut. I don't think any state requires a eye exam (even initially) for a hunting license. Very few require any after the initial exam for a driver's license. Odd, very odd.

Chip

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would have to agree with Barry. But the law is the law and I wouldn't want my licensed taken away for a $300 sale :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I can think of a few situations where harm might occur...
    ...the young myopic student who may not speak up and his parents just have his glasses copied for the sake of convenience or economics - Agreed!
    ...the young hyperopic child who may have worsening amblyopia and doesn't know it Agreed!
    ...the myopic/diabetic bus driver whose VA change has gone unnoticed Agreed, but this really goes to the heart of how ridculous our society views are with respect to the potential consequences of poor acuity/contrast sensitivity during driving (especially at night!)
    ...the teenager (or adult) developing corneal neovascularization who keeps ordering CLs without an exam or recheck of the fit. Agreed!, but this is a CL question, where you'll *never* get an argument from me about potential harm.

I don't have all the answers, but yes, even some emmetropes should have mandatory exams like bus drivers, pilots, those who carry a gun,...and wouldn't you want young students to have an exam every few years even if they were previously thought to be emmetropic?

I'm not saying don't duplicate a pair of glasses for someone in a bind, but some guidelines should be in place. For some to say "there should be no guidelines" for Rx duplication, and for some to say "there should be a mandatory eye exam for everybody every six months" would be rediculous. Too bad there is so much variation from state to state. NYS allows any pair of eyeglasses to be duplicated without limit. Yes, and like other states, NY only requests a vision *screening* (aka, pass/fail at 20/40, tested at 6 feet away!!) every 8 years, instead of, say every 2??

And please, before a flame war starts, I am not trying to be cynical or inflammatory...and the current state of affairs is due to a little bit of "error" on the part of all O professions.
    I don't think you're trying to be cynical at all. These are really good points. Let's keep the discussion going. Any other opinions on this subject?

Barry

Bad address email on file NgCognito's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Regular exams

I agree that schools should have mandatory exams for children and the licensing boards for all of the above mentioned topics. My husband thinks it's a crock of ODs and MDs just trying to pump the system for more income. We have been going back and forth on this issue for years in my household.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Acutually on the same subject, while I am a Pro-gun anti-governement restriction on anything nut. I don't think any state requires a eye exam (even initially) for a hunting license. Very few require any after the initial exam for a driver's license. Odd, very odd.

Chip
    You know, the Air Force requires it's members to obtain an annual dental exam to ensure that they are fit for world-wide duty. No requirements for an annual vision exam, except flyers. But a vision screening is needed every FIVE years?!?!
    I have no data for Army and Navy.
    To boot, Reserve and Guard members are required to pay for this dental exam themselves or buy the dental insurance for $240/yr.

I think for a DL, most states do a screening during every renewal. Failure requires an exam and form from a refractionist. Kansas is Corrected VA of 20/60 in at least one eye with 60 deg of central field.
    No wonder bike-riding is the most lethal sport. Actuall stats, BTW.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Someone above said (or implied) that in his state there were restrictions on duplicating glasses but he would follow the rules because he didn't wan't to lose his license over a $300 sale.

Someone else said that he didn't think an eye exam should be a requirement at all.

I am curious why many (not all) opticians seem to oppose periodic eye exams. If more eye exams were done, doesn't it stand to reason that more glasses would get sold?

I'm not advocating rules which take advantage of the public...but somewhere in the middle...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Someone above said (or implied) that in his state there were restrictions on duplicating glasses but he would follow the rules because he didn't wan't to lose his license over a $300 sale.

Someone else said that he didn't think an eye exam should be a requirement at all.

I am curious why many (not all) opticians seem to oppose periodic eye exams. If more eye exams were done, doesn't it stand to reason that more glasses would get sold?

I'm not advocating rules which take advantage of the public...but somewhere in the middle...
    Not necessarily, here's what happens:
    Mrs. Palin comes in my shop to browse, she finds some frames that she'd love to have. I call her eye doc and the doc for her rx. He says "sorry, that rx is expired, she needs an eye exam."
    Mrs. Palin says "sorry, I'm going to be real busy the next couple months so I'm not going to be able to have that eye exam. So, I guess I can't get these glasses after all."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Not necessarily, here's what happens:
    Mrs. Palin comes in my shop to browse, she finds some frames that she'd love to have. I call her eye doc and the doc for her rx. He says "sorry, that rx is expired, she needs an eye exam."
    Mrs. Palin says "sorry, I'm going to be real busy the next couple months so I'm not going to be able to have that eye exam. So, I guess I can't get these glasses after all."
    I guess I am having a hard time grasping this because in my state, glasses can be duplicated without restrictions, and so we get very few calls like that. I guess opticians just neutralize the lenses. And if a patient really wanted a copy of a 4 year old Rx, I would have to give it to them...but I would put on the Rx the actual exam date, and I might write "exam recommended " on the bottom. Then it's a matter of conscience and common sense between the dispenser and the purchaser.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess I am having a hard time grasping this because in my state, glasses can be duplicated without restrictions, and so we get very few calls like that. I guess opticians just neutralize the lenses. And if a patient really wanted a copy of a 4 year old Rx, I would have to give it to them...but I would put on the Rx the actual exam date, and I might write "exam recommended " on the bottom. Then it's a matter of conscience and common sense between the dispenser and the purchaser.
    In CA, we can't duplicate lenses and it is unlawful for us to fill an rx that has expired.

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Florida, an eyeglasses Rx is valid for 5 years and a Cl Rx is valid for 2.
    An optician can duplicate any lenses at any given time. Prescriptions can be expired sooner and they normally are by the ODs and rarely done by the OMD. I am finding that ophthalmologists are tending to do less refractions in their complete eye exams :finger:, but that is for another thread.

Prescriptions that are used by a board certified optician for the purpose of fitting contact lenses independently from the prescriber, if we interpret the law they would be 2 years.

As optometrists transition more and more into medical, I can bet that they would become more lax in their expiration dates.

Danny

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Danny:

They are still doin refractions in "complete eye exams' they are just not giveing them out unless the patient pays an extra fee or has insureance with an extra little box to check for addittional fee. One of the new little horrors to befall the profession. You will find that If you call the OMD and press hard enough there will be a refraction written somewhere in the chart.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Danny:

They are still doin refractions in "complete eye exams' they are just not giveing them out unless the patient pays an extra fee or has insureance with an extra little box to check for addittional fee. One of the new little horrors to befall the profession. You will find that If you call the OMD and press hard enough there will be a refraction written somewhere in the chart.

Chip
    Chip,

I believe your comments are off the mark and unfounded. By law you must release the rx...but you know that already.

Please stop misleading some on this board.

Thank you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Virginia, a spectacle rx needs an expiration date only if the patient has a medically necessary reason for it. Unfortunately, we've also had many cases where spectacle rx's were written to expire within 24 hours. Contact lens rx's expire at 1 year from the date written.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Danny:

Chip
    Chip,

That happens in MD and PA too, their are OMD offices that don't consider a refraction part of a medical exam, and they schedule everyone that calls for a medical exam.

Thread Information