Thread: The Dark Knight

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

The Dark Knight

Here is my argument as to why the Dark Knight is even better than a nearly perfect action hero story. I argue that it is actually a well constructed film that uses literary techniques to construct an artistic unity. (spoilers contained herein!)

First, what is the movie about? It is a meditation on good and evil in the context of the age of terrorism. The Joker is a terrorist; he says so really, and demonstrates that money and greed are not his motives. He wants chaos for the sake of chaos. The batman is the anti-terrorist and has to wrestle with the same issues that America thinks about: surveillance, interrogation, how the rest of the world (Gotham) sees him.

That’s just a surface description. The film also states that evil and good are closely related, two sides of the same coin that is constantly being flipped. That, in fact, is the central metaphor of the film and the one that the director exploits to the fullest. The obvious place to start this is to look at one of the three main characters: Harvey Dent, aka Two-face. He habitually flips a coin and eventually ends up with two faces. That’s the obvious. Here is a list of the way the film pursues this as far as it can.

There are No opening credits and the LAST thing you see is the title, so the movie itself is flipped.

Dent is repeatedly described as the city’s white night in this film about the dark night.

The Joker often presents his evil plans as a choice of two opposites: the boats at the end, the choice to save either Dent or the girl.

Dent isn’t the only character with two faces: masks and make up are a big part of the character development – even characters that don’t put on a mask, Gordon for example, have to pretend to be something else for at least part of the movie.

The movie does turn the moral universe upside down. Dent is seen as the hero but the batman ends up as the bad guy who needs to run from the law. This is even expressed in backwards logic. Batman doesn’t get chased, then decides to run; he runs because he will be chased.

The joker’s last scene he is, literally, upside down – but filmed right side up.

The truck stunt is spectacular, of course, but they had to do it that way. You can wreck a truck in a million ways, but this is a movie about flipping things upside down. So, you flip the truck upside down just like Dent flips a coin. The Dark Night uses LIGHT poles to do this, by the way.

The Joker “wins” a fistfight against batman by getting beaten up by him.

All of this is based on one viewing. I want to see it again with an eye for this. I suspect there is much more. I am thinking, for example, that windows spend a lot time being used as doors and maybe the reverse as well? The batmobile is in disguise and is really two things at once? Getaway vehicles back up to get on camera (the bus for example) when backing is just the opposite of getting away.

All in all...I LOVED this movie and Heath Ledger was fantastic. I am wondering what you all thought of this movie and if you think I am over analyzing here?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I hate it when movies are over-hyped, and thus I tend to expect too much and am disappointed.

So when seeing Dark Knight, I constantly compared it to Begins. For the first hour, I enjoyed Begins more. But during the second hour, Knight just became so powerful. You actually grew to hate Joker (not Health Ledger's performance, but hate him for being a villain) and want to see Batman defeat him.

It was just an awesome movie.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I hadn't caught all of the juxtapositions you mentioned, but they do make sense- and it would seem to be more than coincidence.

I'm not really a fan of this genre (don't really get into Batman, Spiderman, Superman, or the rest of the action hero type movies), but this was an excellent movie. I'd also agree that Heath Ledger went out on a terrific performance (I had already heard he had played the Joker- but still found myself wondering "who is that actor" the whole way till the credits).

The only flip you didn't mention that I did catch was the Joker's trick when Batman goes to rescue his lady from the building. The Joker gives him the correct addresses- but switches the people at each location. As he leaves, Batman says "I'll get her," but he ends up at his building.

We just watched the Cameron Diaz movie about Las Vegas (forget the title). Very funny- but Diaz is really starting to show her age...

Now I'm looking forward to "Burn After Reading."

Bad address email on file NgCognito's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Interesting

While I did not catch all of those same thoughts, I found the movie highly interesting and can not wait until it's out on video so I can review it again and again and again.

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I thought it was a great follow-up to Batman Begins. Ledger and Bale are amazing actors by themselves, and they really gave a fantastic performance together in Dark Knight. I was turned off by Maggie Gyllenhaal playing the part as Rachel though. She looked tired throughout the movie and didn't seem to have as good of a connection on-screen as Katie Holmes did with Bale in the last movie. I can't wait until it comes out on HD DVD, probably around Xmas time, I'm guessing.

OptiBoard Apprentice Lachrymator's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought this movie was very good, and all of the irony that you mentioned puts together a very good analysis. One thing I didn't like about the movie is how they implemented Harvey Dent (aka Two Face). In previous Batman stories, comics, movies, etc his character didn't become Two Faced in the same type of accident. But this is good b/c the new batman series is supposed to spice things up. But what really got to me as how Harvey Dent is a very short term "villain" when historically (in other batman stories) he was a mobster and had his own "gang." I think it would have been better had they left him alive to make another film, because I always saw him as an important villain in the batman stories.

One thing I will point out, and I find funny, is that in the 1989 Batman movie, with Michael Keaton, Harvey Dent was introduced in the media and was a black man. Then, three movies later, it is played by Tommy Lee Jones. Of course by that movie Val Kilmer was batman, but I always found that funny.

Thread Information