Thread: Jeez...again...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You notice how all of these are written in the exact same format and say the same things.

They all have this story about how someone is fed up with us evil practitioners then how they went to one website and everything was so perfect. They then go into each detail and always say "ask your Optometrist for your PD, or conveniently do it yourself."

The only thing that is convenient is how these stories sound exactly the same. Me thinks something smells a bit rotten.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought that same thing when I read the story.... hmmm

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    You notice how all of these are written in the exact same format and say the same things.

They all have this story about how someone is fed up with us evil practitioners then how they went to one website and everything was so perfect.
    Yes, I whole heartedly agree with this statement. But, further, I think all VCPs should see the underlying message for what it is:

The way we currently do eyewear *is not* attractive to the public, and does (imho, absolutely) nothing to reduce/remove or modify the general public's negative feelings toward eyewear, aka eyeglasses.

We *must* challenge ourselves in an effort to reinvent or completely change the current paradigm.

Barry

(Just bought a titanium soapbox, for the long haul ahead!)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Keith Benjamin and I discussed this a bit yesterday. http://forums.laramyk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1256

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's articles like these that people should be fighting...not the bickering between opticians and optometrists.

Did anyone read the link for measuring PD? Pretty humourous, especially for those with high AC/A ratios who are prescribed an NVO...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    It's articles like these that people should be fighting

I agree with this. I'm always amazed at the amount of factual misinformation that goes unchallenged in these. In the second comment here:
    http://fray.slate.com/discuss/forums...icleID=2198746

someone says
    Yeah, you're right. We as consumers should continue to pay 1000% (yes, one thousand percent) markups in order to subsidize your mini-flashlights.
    In 15 years of optical, some at an independant optical, some at an OD's office and some at an optical shop in a medical clinic, even the highest markup I've ever seen was nowhere near that. I worked for JCPenney for several years when I was in high school and college, and the markup on clothing and shoes was far higher (percentage wise) than any frames or lenses.

The notion that prescription eyeglasses are "expensive" bugs me anyway. A $700 pair of eyeglasses worn for 2 years comes out to less than a dollar a day. Most people spend more on coffee or Mountain Dew than that. Compared to clothing, food, and housing, even the priciest eyeglasses are probably the cheapest necessity of life we have.

Not to mention the question of where do they get their frames? A few times I've had someone want to see if we could match a price they saw online. In every case I discovered that the frames had been discontinued for over a year and were no longer available. The only thing I could think of was maybe they bought out all remaining inventory of discontinued styles for pennies on the dollar.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We can hate it all we want but I don't think internet eyeglasses are going away. :( The simple fact is that for many people they will be happy with their internet eyeglasses.

We know that the 1.67 index lens is NOT the thinnest or best lens available. We know that a free or very cheap AR is probably not going to hold up very well or be easy to clean. We know that for many patients mono PDs are going to make a difference. We can fit progressives in a frame with less then a 30 B measurement. We use better progressives then the no name progressives many of these places use. We use real Transition lenses not a no name photochromic. We can do eyeglasses with prism.

But for many people, they will be happy, the glasses will work. And they will bring them to us every other month to adjust free until they order their next pair from the internet again. :(

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Looking at the goggles4u.com site mentioned, I have discovered the following:

Nearly all of the lenses include "antiglare, UV, and scratch free coating"

They offer "CR-39" lenses in 1.57, 1.61, & 1.67 indexes

The glasse lenses they sell also include the "scratch free coating"

The SV photochromic lenses are available in 1.57 high index CR-39 or 1.57 high index glass

I do believe that I will start ordering patient lenses from this company. Obviously, they are much more advanced than the rest of us in the industry. I only have anti-reflective and scratch resistant coatings available.

A few more gems:

If you have prism, please write it in the instruction box of the cart or email the details to us just after placing order.
    and

If PD "Pupil Distance" is not mentioned on your Rx please leave the value as default.
    In addition to all of this, you don't have to have the Rx verified at all. You may email or fax it but not required.

I went all the way up to entering a credit card and was never asked for a doctor's name or date of exam.

I really wish we could all be held to the same high standards.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Looking at the goggles4u.com site mentioned, I have discovered the following:

Nearly all of the lenses include "antiglare, UV, and scratch free coating"

They offer "CR-39" lenses in 1.57, 1.61, & 1.67 indexes

The glass lenses they sell also include the "scratch free coating"

The SV photochromic lenses are available in 1.57 high index CR-39 or 1.57 high index glass

I do believe that I will start ordering patient lenses from this company. Obviously, they are much more advanced than the rest of us in the industry. I only have anti-reflective and scratch resistant coatings available.

In addition to all of this, you don't have to have the Rx verified at all. You may email or fax it but not required.

I went all the way up to entering a credit card and was never asked for a doctor's name or date of exam.

I really wish we could all be held to the same high standards.

So what is the default PD? They said the most common PD is 63, is that what they use? My husband's PD is 58, I wonder how his progressives would work if they were make with a 63 PD?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You have to read EyeBuyDirects FAQ

http://www.eyebuydirect.com/faq.php

It is both hilarious and infuriating

17. What are the lenses made of?
    We use lightweight CR39 polycarbonate plastic lenses.

I didn't know they made a hybrid of CR-39 and Poly.

25. What if my frames need adjustment after I receive them?
    We suggest walking into a near by optical center, in most places they will be happy to assist you free of charge.

This one made me angry though.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    #17 - If they do have it, I want about a truck load.

#25 - I charge through the nose for this !!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Has anyone considered contacting Slate (the site where the article resides) with an analysis of the article and its fallacies?

Also, there is often a way to post comments from readers right below the article. Not sure about this article, since I'm not looking at it, but it's a common thing you see on websites these days.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posting an opinion where everyone's opinion is equal, only demonstrates there is a debate where there isn't one. In other words, eye care related topics are the domain of the Os not John Q Public. A formal rebuttal would be appropriate, for example, a written response from an O published in the following edition would be a great way to inform the public as to what we do and dispel any of the misinformation.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    18. How do you divide the distance and reading portion on Bifocal or Progressive lenses?Normally, the division is 60% of the lens height for distance and 40% of the lens height for reading. But of course, you are very much welcome to inform us your preference in division. Please include a note on the order form or call us as soon as you place your order, we will make sure to note it on our end.
    20. Do you offer prism and trifocal correction?Currently, we only offer single-vision (Distance only or Reading only), bifocal and progressive correction only. We don't offer prism trifocal correction.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    18. How do you divide the distance and reading portion on Bifocal or Progressive lenses?Normally, the division is 60% of the lens height for distance and 40% of the lens height for reading. But of course, you are very much welcome to inform us your preference in division. Please include a note on the order form or call us as soon as you place your order, we will make sure to note it on our end.
    I noticed their progressive "friendly" frames start at 30 for a B measurement. If they do only 40% for reading does this mean they put the progressive height at 12? That can't be right.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Like Happy said, it probably won't go away. All industries have always been full of hacks and con-artists. The problem is that they aren't conning the consumer, they are conning US!

1. PD on Rx is given away free by us. Retail value $25
    2. Shopping our vast aray of display eyewear to then go compare online with someone that doesn't stock it or warranty it. Retail value $35
    3. Return to you local optical for adjustment and Rx verification. Retail value $15
    4. Train consumer on use of new multifocal. Retail value $10
    5. Come back for adjustment in six months. Retail value $5
    6. Consultation w/ patient on best lens type and frame combination and frame color and explain AR and Trans, and frame fit, etc. Retail value $30
    7. Overnight shipping of lenses. Retail value $5
    8. No questions asked warranty on lenses and frame. Retail Value $25

Now if I could collect all my value added services on a "consultation", I would gladly refer all my clients to purchase eyewear on the internet. They would end paying more, and I would make what I deserve.

This idea of a "1000% mark-up" is ludicrous. WHat is the mark-up on a medical exam? Well lets see:
    1. disposable thermometer tip, $0.05
    2. Exam table paper, $0.05
    3. Rx paper, $0.01
    4. Superbill paper, $0.01
    Total COGS: $0.12
    Retail value: $85
    Mark-up: 70,833%
    Evil, Evil, Greedy Doctors.:angry:

Thread Information