Thread: Problem patient

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Problem patient

I need your advice on what you would do in this situation. A patient brought in his own frame and we did lenses only. A couple weeks later he brought them back and had scratced the lenses. We agreed to remake them. He did not leave his frame with us, we took the B and ED measurement which is on his RX form and that it is a POF. He came in today over a month after we called him to let him know his lenses are ready and he can either drop his frame off or he can schedule an appointment and we can cut them while he waits. He comes in and says "I have lenses that are ready", I knew he did not have an appointment to have them cut but was going to do just work him in since it is a holiday weekend coming up. I asked for his frame and he said "I left my frames with you" We never take a patient's own frame unless it's a drill mount. And if we had his frame, we would not have noted his B and ED measurement. Not only is he saying we owe him a new frame, we do not have the original lenses to send back for credit. These are REALLY expensive lenses, progressive, high index, AR, etc. He left in a huff when I said we did not have the frame and that he did not leave them. I called him and told him we will search the entire lab if he will do the same at his home and I'm sure they will turn up. He snapped at me that we had his frame and he isn't going to look for anything. I told him I would call him on Tuesday to see what he had come up with, he hung up on me. What would you do?:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Are you the one who helped him when he came in with his complaint?
    If so and you specifically remember giving his frames back then the burden rests on him. If he continues to be combative, I would suspect he is trying to get something for nothing. If he insists on being a pain, refund him cost plus 20% for your time. I bet he did something improper to cause the scratches to begin with and he is taking his anger out on you and making you pay for his carelessness.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yes it was me

but it was over a month ago and we are a very busy practice, I can't specifically remember the day he came in and what exactly happened. But all signs point to him having the glasses and probably losing them. Why else would he wait over a month to come in? Why would he not even offer to look for the frame just in case? I know he is up to something.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If you can't for sure remember, I'd recommend he be allowed to pick something from your sale or discontinued rack if you have one. Or set a threshold for frame price and allow him to select from your regular stock.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

problem patient

On our order forms there is a line for pof's where we circle frame enlosed or frame to come and date pof was shipped to the lab. In this case, we would offer a discount on new pair and call it a day. With the tough economy, I'm afraid that we'll see more of this.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

20% Rule!

I've had things like this happen several times over the last few years; and yes, the patient probably lost the frames and wants to put the onus on you. BTW - if they were his only frames, what was he using in the meantime? In our office we would offer a "value" frame as a replacement as a "goodwill" gesture. If the patient is still not satisfied, let'em go. His options are small-claims court, and probably some badmouthing of your office. I always keep in mind (when a patient is totally unreasonable or off-the-wall) what an OD told me 38 years ago: " 20% of the population is (expletive deleted) CRAZY!" That means 1 in 5 patients have "issues."
    Don't let him chew on your liver! :)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This is a great example of why you should document and either sign or initial EVERYTHING. This goes for phone calls over the phone, to patients ignoring your recommendations, practically any and everything discussed...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    and probably some badmouthing of your office.

Don't let him chew on your liver! :)
    His badmouthing could keep 10 people away from your office. Anytime someone gets mad, it is an opportunity to impress. This guy is going to leave and tell his family and friends something. What will he say??
    How about this:

"Sir, I'm sure we didn't take your eyeglasses from you, but since you haven't had anything to wear for the last month, let's get that taken care of right now. If you really feel that we have your eyewear, then I apologize, but we don't have them. Just pick out a frame and I will give you up to a $120 credit right now."

You collect the remainder of the lens price and change a negative story to an outstanding one. You can't buy advertising like that at any price.

For those of you in the professional forum, you may have heard how our office policies are set up to allow the patient to win without laying blame while creating LOTS of goodwill. It also makes for a better work environment when you don't have to argue with clients.

Of course he has, or at least had, his specs. Let him win and don't let it chew on your liver:D. It's all about the money, it's not about being right.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Some people just don't care...

Sometimes you do everything right and some people just don't care. They want something for nothing and then they badmouth you anyway. It's especially bad when they do it online and people read it over and over again.

Recently, I had a patient come in with scratched lenses from six YEARS ago. She said that she never wore the glasses and they were on display in her cabinet for six years. She refused when we offered to give her 50% off on a replacement pair. She said they scratched even without her touching them. My optician told her that they wouldn't have scratched so badly if she had at least rinsed them off with water once in a while. Then, the patient said she did rinse them once in a while, but just didn't wear them. She said that they scratched more than the pair that she did wear for the last ten years. Then, my optician told her that maybe she should have worn them a little, because that's what glasses are for. This particular optician is the same one that jumped on a celebrity's car after he stole a pair of sunglasses from our office. She got them back.

Anyway, the other patients in the office jumped in and starting arguing for us. Finally, the patient left. She posted a nasty review online, with a totally different fabricated story. I asked her to remove the review, but she did not.

A few months later, she came in as if nothing ever happened. She said that nobody "treats her nice" like we do. She said that she couldn't see out of the glasses we she got somewhere else. She said that she doesn't care about the price. I guess she did wear those glasses afterall.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Do you have a video surveillance system? If so, replay the date.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    [quote=MarcE;259409]His badmouthing could keep 10 people away from your office. Anytime someone gets mad, it is an opportunity to impress. This guy is going to leave and tell his family and friends something. What will he say??
    How about this:

I always think to myself "if anyone actually listens to this numbnuts, then those are patients I don't want anyway". Call me crazy for not caring about what they say!!!:shiner:

Thread Information