Thread: Bye Bye Alize Hello Avance$$$...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bye Bye Alize Hello Avance$$$...

Heads up! (Or is it bend over for another spanking?)

As of Sept 1st Alize with Clear Guard AR is no longer available.

"Crizal Avance with Scotchgard Protection" is taking its place.

You may want to call your lab to find out how much extra it costs.

If your lab is keeping it at the same price I for one would like to know who you're dealing with!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-29-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Specify Clear Guard...

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought it was only the Alize with Clearguard that was being discontinued. Are you sure the Crizal Alize without Clearguard is also being discontinued? It would make more sense to discontinue the regular Crizal.

I do have the Crizal Avance on my newest glasses and it is the best AR I have ever had. But it is very expensive.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cries from the masses:

Thank you Sir....can we have another?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I thought it was only the Alize with Clearguard that was being discontinued. Are you sure the Crizal Alize without Clearguard is also being discontinued? It would make more sense to discontinue the regular Crizal.

I do have the Crizal Avance on my newest glasses and it is the best AR I have ever had. But it is very expensive.
    I believe you are correct! I'll edit.

I'm going to Pro's Forum for a side discussion...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Of course. Why would they keep Alize???

It is like when Transition replaces an older lens with a newer one.

One of the things that annoys me the most with Essilor is that it has too many lenses and coatings. So now that it is doing the smart move and getting rid of the inferior one, we complain?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

When's Avance "improved" coming out...

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Of course. Why would they keep Alize???

It is like when Transition replaces an older lens with a newer one.

One of the things that annoys me the most with Essilor is that it has too many lenses and coatings. So now that it is doing the smart move and getting rid of the inferior one, we complain?
    I find from Clear Guard to Scotchgard is like "New and improved Tide" laundry detergent. I just don't see enough difference to justify a cost increase to my patients.

I'll predict this will be "improved" within the next 2 years.

Harry C had a list of performance tests I asked my Essilor Partner lab to give me last spring. Still waiting.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    But I thought Alize with Clear Guard was the bee's knees in total perfection. :drop:According to the propaganda, it was.
    I have found the Alize to be more prone to crazing than my preferred AR, Carat Advantage.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Avance = to advance. Price.

I saw no difference between the Alize and the Avance. We don't deal with Essilor at all, but decided to let their rep come in for a demo. Wow. Headache central, trying to keep all the coatings and lenses straight.

That being said, If they're introducing a new line of coatings, I'm glad they're getting rid of the old stuff. It's hard enough to keep track of all the NEW options, let alone all of them AND the old stuff.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What my rep said; The only AR they are disco'ing is Cleargard. It is being replaced with Scotchgard. All replacements of lenses with Cleargard will be replaced with Scotchgard.

The "supposed" "improvement between the 2 is a longer lasting oilio-hydo topcoat that will maintain it's "slicktitude" longer. ( a supposed 20k cleanings).

* Disclaimer; The above was ramblings from a talking head of the "Evil Empire" and do not reflect my own thoughts....as if I had any.....

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post

I saw no difference between the Alize and the Avance. We don't deal with Essilor at all, but decided to let their rep come in for a demo. Wow. Headache central, trying to keep all the coatings and lenses straight.
    I've had both and it is better. After a while the Alize becomes less slick and starts to get dirty quicker. It's still great but the Avance is a step up. I've been wearing AR since 1986 and have always had to wash my glasses a couple of times a day or more.

The Avance stays clean and when I do wash it, it cleans extremelly easily. This is the main complaint I hear from patients about AR and this lens seems to solve the problem. I just wish it was cheaper.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why are we dogging a lens company for coming out with new products? You don't whine when Zeiss and Shamir come out with new/better/more $$. The three are always linked.
    In my opinion, CG was supposed to be the next better/newer and something about it bombed. It crazed, it was hard to clean, etc. I've got a pair with CG and a pair of regular Alize, as well as an Avance. They go from good better to best in that order. Clearguard was an oops that's being corrected by Scotchguard. Otherwise, why would they keep Crizal and Alize on the market while discontinuing CG?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Why are we dogging a lens company for coming out with new products? You don't whine when Zeiss and Shamir come out with new/better/more $$. The three are always linked.
    In my opinion, CG was supposed to be the next better/newer and something about it bombed. It crazed, it was hard to clean, etc. I've got a pair with CG and a pair of regular Alize, as well as an Avance. They go from good better to best in that order. Clearguard was an oops that's being corrected by Scotchguard. Otherwise, why would they keep Crizal and Alize on the market while discontinuing CG?
    When Alize came out, there were a group of OBers who cursed it up and down. They argued that the Zeiss Carat was an easy to clean lens and already had hydrophobic qualities (so did regular crizal, but that was ignored). They called those who used alize idiots. Then when the Carat Advantage came out, they all jumped on the bandwagon.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The cost price difference was so little we kept the price the same, simply replaced "Clearguard" with "Avance'" in our computers. It's nice to have a upgrade come-out at a negligible cost.

In my experience, Avance' is definitely different than any other Crizal A/R.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had both and it is better. After a while the Alize becomes less slick and starts to get dirty quicker. It's still great but the Avance is a step up. I've been wearing AR since 1986 and have always had to wash my glasses a couple of times a day or more.

The Avance stays clean and when I do wash it, it cleans extremelly easily. This is the main complaint I hear from patients about AR and this lens seems to solve the problem. I just wish it was cheaper.
    Delete.
    Last edited by Metronome; 05-18-2009 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Delete.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    I agree, it's the best AR I've ever worn. I love to caress it with my fingertip, it's so silky smooth. But the lenses tend to slip off axis while edging, so there's a tradeoff. It's still not listed on the VSP dropdown menu, so there must be something controversial, or perhaps illegal, about it.

No, it just means one of 2 things. Either they launched the product before VSP's listing date (you can only submit products by the dates they allow in order to update their listings in an economical manner) OR they aren't volunteering to pay for the listing. VSP does not "approve" or "disapprove" products. To be assigned a code or to be listed, manufactures have to pay VSP. If they don't, you can still use special codes to get reimbursed.

Now, that is not to say that once VSP has a stronger hold in the lab business that they will be dictating the products you are able to order on their plans....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just use good old Crizal when given a choice though some lenses only come with the Alize. I think Crizal is a good product, comes with a warranty, more affordable and cleans up just fine. Plus doesn't slip in the edger. Alize, Avance, Clearguard, Scotchguard, whatever. I just call it our "premium anti-reflective lens" and explain the benefits. I'm sure not going to ask my intelligent patients if they want their darn lenses Scotchguarded like they are buying a couch. I was once in a large furniture store buying a recliner. The annoying salesman aske dme if I would like it Scotchguarded. I replied "No thankyou, my husband is Irish". He looked at me like I was from another planet. Siiigh, not everyone gets my humor

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Stainless is all this...and we did it nearly 4 years ago! We have been developing some of the best AR in the industry and usually ahead of Essilor and about 40% less expensive. How else do they pay for all that advertising? Tired of paying for it? PM me and I will show you how.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Prewitt View Post
    Stainless is all this...and we did it nearly 4 years ago! We have been developing some of the best AR in the industry and usually ahead of Essilor and about 40% less expensive. How else do they pay for all that advertising? Tired of paying for it? PM me and I will show you how.

I will back-up what Lee is talking about. I have used a bit of his lab and the Stainless product. I was really impressed with the product and pricing! Lee is one helluva stand up guy. Give him a shout!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Prewitt View Post
    Can it go on most lenses? What is the warranty?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey HappyLady,

Start here:

www.icoatcompany.com

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Can it go on most lenses? What is the warranty?
    2 year warranty and it goes on practically any lens including FT. Internal analysis showed that out of 1.5 Million lenses coated last year, between Vivix and Stainless, only .3% return rate for any reason.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company