Thread: In order to add to my vast store of useless knowledge

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In order to add to my vast store of useless knowledge

I found that I have an old softlens demo lens (about 60mm in diameter when dry, hema.)
    I placed this on the top of a receptical and filled it partially with Saline just to see if it would hydrate, or partially hydrate and how long it took.

I found that it took about 8 hours to show any evidence of hydration at all, and after 12-14 it became a little soft on the posterior side only in the area that contained saline, the anterior side remained dry and only very slightly flexible in the area with saline. No side to side imbibment (new word, maybe?)
    I then repeated the process for the anterior side, similar result but the hydration took a few hours longer.

Don't know what I can do with this pearl of enlightenment, but there it is.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You crack me up. Great experiment though.
    I once put a poly lens under a chair leg and jumped up and down on it to see if I could break it. I couldn't.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Up and down......................

Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    I once put a poly lens under a chair leg and jumped up and down on it to see if I could break it. I couldn't.
    Was that a weight reducing exercise ? The more you jumped up and down the less the lens broke. :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Was that a weight reducing exercise ? The more you jumped up and down the less the lens broke. :bbg:
    Exactly!

I think I need to try the experiment again though. I weigh about 6 pounds more than I did then so you never know........maybe the more I weigh the less it will break?:bbg:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    hmmm... maybe I should try that

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    We took a poly lens and shot it with a 357 magnum. Put a dent in it. Was an excellent selling tool especially to police officers!!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My son put a BB through a polycarbonate lens. He was using a Daisy pump gun. The lens in question came from a Gargoyle frame made famous by Clint Eastwood in a Dirty Harry Movie. I will paraphrase a line from the film when responding to the story above. Ladyoptician, do you mean to tell us that a .357 magnum, the second most powerful handgun known to man, couldn't go through a poly lens? They did use a firearm demonstration at Optifair one year, but the firearm was a .25 caliber Crossman CO2 pistol which left the lens intact MOST, but not all of the time! :):)
    Last edited by hcjilson; 08-30-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added comma
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ahhh! Polycarb!

I had a patient who brought in his daughter's poly lenses with some hairlines on them. He wanted a Davis Vision warranty replacement. When I called Davis, they said according to the patient's panel, they would only replace broken lenses. I had the Davis lady on speaker phone for the Dad. He said, "OK, I'll break them" and left the office. About an hour later I got a call from him...."what are these things made of, ****ing rubber?" He had whomped them repeatedly with a go-devil, and of course they were in worse condition than before. We remade them at 1/2 the U&C. He was happy, and very embarassed.

Bad address email on file Dougfir8's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Confused "Go-devil"...new optical tool?

Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    I had a patient who brought in his daughter's poly lenses with some hairlines on them. He wanted a Davis Vision warranty replacement. When I called Davis, they said according to the patient's panel, they would only replace broken lenses. I had the Davis lady on speaker phone for the Dad. He said, "OK, I'll break them" and left the office. About an hour later I got a call from him...."what are these things made of, ****ing rubber?" He had whomped them repeatedly with a go-devil, and of course they were in worse condition than before. We remade them at 1/2 the U&C. He was happy, and very embarassed.
    Here is my ignorance showing. What kind of "go-devil" did he use? A dictionary says:
    Main Entry:go–dev·il Pronunciation: \ˈgō-ˌde-vəl\ Function:noun Date:1852 : any of various devices: as a: a cultivator with wooden runners b: a weight formerly dropped in a bored hole (as of an oil well) to set off an explosive c: a cleaning scraper propelled through a pipeline d: a handcar or small gasoline car used on a railroad e: a child's sled
    :angry:

Thread Information