Thread: Would this make you feel special?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Would this make you feel special?

One of my Marketing reps had a great idea. In our local paper, they have a section where companies welcome new employees or announce their promotions. My marketer suggested sending them a card from our business congratulating them. If you received a congrats from another business in your community, would it give you the warm fuzzies or would you even care? I would probably frame the card in a custom made lighted display case.....but that's just me. Just looking for feedback on the idea.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Would depend on the company that sent it.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually this is the kind of junk that makes many opticians disgusted with many trade magazines and newsleyters. We don't really care who gets promoted, what big-wig has as birthday, who the CEO is or anything of the like. This is only of interest to those in the company (and only the higher ups at that) and stockholders or those who are concidering becoming stockholders.
    The rest of us are interested in knowledge, products, technques and the like. I don't really care what the DelVeccio brothers are going to have for lunch, or Sara's little Johnny was head saleman this quarter.

But then I get real bored with "speakers" that spend half thier lecture time talking about the hardships and work history they had in this life. We all have experienced same or will. If it's an education course or trade education publication, teach me something I can use. If you are on the podium, I already know you are or think you are important, you don't have to give 1/3 of our time telling us how important.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 08-28-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: "Importance"

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe that anytime you can single someone out, and make them feel special, it can only be a good thing.

On a side note: Do you remember the Steve Martin "Get Small" routine where he says at the end of the concert, " I'd like to thank each and every one of you...thank you, thank you, thank, you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,....and on and on"?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Actually this is the kind of junk that makes many opticians disgusted with many trade magazines and newsleyters. We don't really care who gets promoted, what big-wig has as birthday, who the CEO is or anything of the like. This is only of interest to those in the company (and only the higher ups at that) and stockholders or those who are concidering becoming stockholders.
    The rest of us are interested in knowledge, products, technques and the like. I don't really care what the DelVeccio brothers are going to have for lunch, or Sara's little Johnny was head saleman this quarter.

But then I get real bored with "speakers" that spend half thier lecture time talking about the hardships and work history they had in this life. We all have experienced same or will. If it's an education course or trade education publication, teach me something I can use. If you are on the podium, I already know you are or think you are important, you don't have to give 1/3 of our time telling us how important.

Chip
    I am now a Marketing Director, I no longer work as an Optician (well.....on occasion), and we are in a fairly small community, and this is our local newspaper. I don't typically do things just to blow smoke up peoples arses.......this would be from my company to you, a congratulations for your hard work paying off, and showing our true concern for our neighboring businesses, and many of these people earning the promotions are our customers as well.

As far as a business saying "HEY LOOKY! We just hired this great guy with all this experience" or "This gal worked her hiney off here for 6 years to get this promotion"....I feel they are showing true pride in their decisions and employees. This section doesn't report on what anyone is having for lunch....last week there was a businesses maintenance employee who received the companys Presidential Award for saving a fellow employee from choking to death. Thats the jist of it. I said jist. Sounds funny.....jist. Is that spelled right?
    So given this info Chip.....does that make you feel differently? I appreciate your honest opinion as well, I just felt I should explain more where I was coming from. The jist.

And I love Steve Martin!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a great idea, like Johns said. We want to do it more, but staffing is always an issue.

I heard about a place that does this. A 10 Dr practice in Midland, TX. The practice cuts the article out of the paper, laminates it and mails with a headline like "YOU'RE IN THE NEWS" and a congratulations. This is for any positive news: winning district or state, making honor roll, stuff like that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Motive?

If I got one of those cards I would toss it like I do with just about every piece of JUNK mail. I would sniff it out to be the marketing ploy that it is. Now, if we actually knew each other, or did business together, it would mean alot to me.

I take the same stance as Chipster on this one!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Motive?

If I got one of those cards I would toss it like I do with just about every piece of JUNK mail. I would sniff it out to be the marketing ploy that it is. Now, if we actually knew each other, or did business together, it would mean alot to me.

I agree. I also think it possible that we are among the most jaded individuals on the planet, and that maybe some would like it. Our office sends out roughly 300 birthday postcards every month and every month we get a call from a few people thanking us for remembering them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Motive?

Well! Maybe you and Chipster are just a couple of party poopers! How bout I just send a six pack instead??:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    Well! Maybe you and Chipster are just a couple of party poopers! How bout I just send a six pack instead??:cheers:
    Great idea!

Then I might *SEE* things differently!

;):cheers::D:cheers:;)

Bad address email on file NgCognito's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

cards

I think it's a great idea. Most people think Whoop-de-do I'm getting my picture in the paper. Who cares? Or, who will ever read it? Then they receive this nice card in the mail albeit some advertising as well, but at least someone saw it and recognised it as a good job well done!

Thread Information