Thread: What would you suggest?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What would you suggest?

I agree with some of you who say there is way too much bickering. But the points that are being brought up about the "scope of practice" are, IMHO, valid discussion. How would the moteratiors like us to address these issues? Like any differing points of view there will be some mud-slinging, that will never change. Should we restict these threads to the just conversation forum? That seems to me to be a place where arguments can go on, and on. RE: how does same sex mariage hurt you. Or should we just not bring them up execpt in PM's? I'm not being an a$$, just trying to find a happy medium.
    Paul:cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember reading a SiFi book back in the '60's, I think, Robt. Heinlien, also I think. A group of Space men had come upon an alien spacecraft that they were attempting to salvage. A technician was working on the alien spacecraft and according to the lead charater (third person style) was doing what all technicians have done since the beginning of time:
    "B******g and complaining about the job the technician who had worked on the ship before had done.

Does this tell you anything.

Many of us will always believe that if we fuss enough about our compeditor it will somehow make us seem better at what we do.

Ever heard the saying: He's not a good Christian thereby implying that the one saying this is?

Chip

Chip

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, having thicker skin would help too. These topics are "controversial" and therefore have a certain measure of antagonism inherent in them. I think being as diplomatic as possible and replying to the arguments only is the best way to go. Ad hominems (aka insults, personal attacks etc...) should be edited asap by moderators. Anyone who feels they are getting too angry for the discussion should be responsible enough to come back in an hour when they have a level head. If the discussion ends up in silly land the thread should be closed or deleted. One should come to the understanding that there is already disagreement over the topic and one should present an argument that would convince the other party. If that fails to convince, no harm done anyway. Some people will never be convinced, but at least hearing what the other party says can be cathartic too.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was just kinda harsh to Chip in another thread, so this may sound a little hypocritical, but here is what I think. The good thing about typing is that it gives us time to check our emotions. We should take that time to not respond too quick and harsh. I also firmly believe that you SHOULD NOT type something here that you wouldn't say to the person face-to-face.

BTW, I wanted to post this in Harry's original thread, but it is closed. There was an article in Optometric Management explaining how the part about interveinous injections (and some of the other procedures) was essentially an email hoax started by a Florida OMD. Now there is a call for OMDs to pony-up to stop the ODs from expanding practice. The CA law will not even bring ODs there up to par with dozens of other states.

So really the false assumptions, mudslinging and emotional outbursts and the hurt feelings were really worth nothing except to glimpse at the posters true nature.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What would I suggest.....?

Hmmm?

I would suggest that we sit down and have a few beers, some wine maybe, or even a few cups of tea and discuss some of these issues in person! I am always amazed at how civil discussion can be when they are in person!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    What would I suggest.....?

Hmmm?

I would suggest that we sit down and have a few beers, some wine maybe, or even a few cups of tea and discuss some of these issues in person! I am always amazed at how civil discussion can be when they are in person!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Where and when?? I NEED COFFEE !!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    There is nothing wrong with posting controversial threads for discussion as long as they are done in a professional manner. Look for instance at the thread, "They're at it again", referring to the optometric scope of practice bill in California. The one where a poll had three answers, "Yes, No, and Heck no, they must have bumped their heads." A thread like this is destined to be trouble. A more professional title might have been, "Optometrists in CA try to expand scope. What do you think?" At least with a start like this, the topic would have half a chance. It also contained opinion stated as if it were fact. If OptiBoard is serious about attracting and retaining all of the three Os, moderators should pick up on these and end them before the mudslinging ensues.

This kind of thread reminds me of aggressive driving on a freeway. Not enough to break the law at the moment, but it becomes a public nuisance and a danger.

Anyway, these are my suggestions. Take 'em or leave 'em.

Thread Information