Thread: Help! Need advice on dropping weight on Santinelli LE 7070

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Confused Help! Need advice on dropping weight on Santinelli LE 7070

Ok, Fellow optiboarders, I could really use your help. I just bought a used Santinelli LE7070 from someone that lives 800 miles from me. He wants me to pick it up and won't ship the edger. I suppose this makes sense in terms of breakage. I'm thinking of flying one way, renting a car there, picking up the edger and driving back home in the rental car. The only problem is that one way car rental that far is pushing $500 for 2 days. OUCH!!! I can, however, fly both ways and carry it as 'checked cargo' if the individual box is less than 100 lbs. It's my understanding that the LE7070 is about 52kg or 110 lbs. I, therefore, need to find an easy way to drop some weight on this machine temporarily so I can ship it and then, hopefully, put it back on once home. A long story but I'm on counting on Optiboard to come through with some answers. THANKS!!!!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. B View Post
    Ok, Fellow optiboarders, I could really use your help. I just bought a used Santinelli LE7070 from someone that lives 800 miles from me. He wants me to pick it up and won't ship the edger. I suppose this makes sense in terms of breakage. I'm thinking of flying one way, renting a car there, picking up the edger and driving back home in the rental car. The only problem is that one way car rental that far is pushing $500 for 2 days. OUCH!!! I can, however, fly both ways and carry it as 'checked cargo' if the individual box is less than 100 lbs. It's my understanding that the LE7070 is about 52kg or 110 lbs. I, therefore, need to find an easy way to drop some weight on this machine temporarily so I can ship it and then, hopefully, put it back on once home. A long story but I'm on counting on Optiboard to come through with some answers. THANKS!!!!!
    Simple fix, take the edger wheels off and ship them home should be about 10 or so pounds and it's one or two nuts if memory serves me correct.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a bolt you screw in to lock the head unit in place. I assume that shipping it would cost much less than picking it up. I wonder is you call someone like Fredrickson is they will package it for you? That way the seller can get a good packaging job, but won't have to mess with it themselves. I hope if you ship it by air, your carrier handles the package better than my luggage.
    Last edited by KStraker; 08-25-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back in my corporate days, we would have loaners shipped to us. It was expensive (like a couple of hundred) but the way it was packaged was bolted onto a pallet, machine shrinked wrapped, and a box that fit over the top with foam padding cut out to hug the machine just right.. It was then banded together.. and shipped on truck.

My understanding was the packaging alone (which is why the "box" was recycled) was around a hundred..Which if why we got chastised at times when it didn't hold up, or we drove the machine w/o the goods to our repair center..

If the machine is 110lbs.. how much is the packaging to make sure it is protected going to weigh? (or are you going to shrink wrap it, and pray for the best?)
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Shipping Solution

Hey, Call Leo at Vision Systems, 866-934-1030. I bought my 7070 from them and they are nice people. Maybe they can ship the boxes to whoever you bought it from and then they can box it using the correct packing. When mine was shipped the boxes were surprisingly small. You'll need to use Vision Sytems down the road so establish a relationship now. Good Luck!!:cheers:

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by partyoptician View Post
    Hey, Call Leo at Vision Systems, 866-934-1030. I bought my 7070 from them and they are nice people. Maybe they can ship the boxes to whoever you bought it from and then they can box it using the correct packing. When mine was shipped the boxes were surprisingly small. You'll need to use Vision Sytems down the road so establish a relationship now. Good Luck!!:cheers:
    THANK YOU:cheers:

The weight of the unit itself is 115lbs. However, when we ship this edger with all the accessories in a proper shipping box it comes out to 210lbs.
    I dont know what all came with it but I will warn you to either pick it up, or have it shipped properly.

I have an entire rack of patternless edgers devoted to shipping insurance claims. Most of the claims get denied for improper packing. The 7070 is a workhorse but it must be moved properly with the proper lockdowns.

Good Luck:cheers:
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    800 miles? Why not just drive there and back w/ your own vehicle? The gas won't be that much. You can leave on a Friday, and be home Sunday.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter bblaker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I sold a briot axcell and had the buyer meet me half way 400 each and my wife and I had a great road trip!
    "Feeding the beast, hoping it will eat you last" -- Winston Churchill

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Road Trip

Now there's a plan!!! :idea:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by partyoptician View Post
    Now there's a plan!!! :idea:
    Don't get me started!:D:cheers::D

The other, when I got back from Va., my wife said, "Why bother turning off the engine? You'll have another road trip planned before dinner's over!" (Actually, I had planned it on the way home...Vermont, and she's coming along!)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information