Thread: And So It Begins

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thumbs up And So It Begins

How does everyone feel about the beginning of military operations against the Taliban and Al Quada? I for one am relieved that the waiting is over. But, I pray for our Uniformed services and those of our allies, the further innocent lives which will inevitably be lost and our leaders.

God Bless the USA, God Bless those who do not stand for terrorism and stand with us!

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am also glad the waiting is over. It has apparently on just begun. President Bush mentioned in his address that over 40 countries; including Great Britain, Canada, Austrailia, Germany, France and others across Europe and Africa, will be assisting in the days and maneuvers to come. It is good to know that we do not walk alone.
    "We will not act for revenge. We will act because we need to for the protection of our people and our way of life, including confidence in our economy. The threat bin Laden and his terrorism represents must be eliminated. We act for justice. We act with world opinion behind us. And we have an absolute determination to see justice done, and this evil of mass international terrorism confronted and defeated."
    Prime Minister Tony Blair
    From House of Commons statement
    October 4, 2001

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't know about Tony Blair, revenge is good enough for me as long as it is extensive enough to discourage our enemies.

Chip

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave British point of view...

While i agree with what T.B says about world terrorism and what should be done. But I do feel that he should consentrate a bit more on UK things rather than running around the world like a lap dog....
    Daft as it seems our british parliament is still on their summer hollies and while there was talk of them going back early to debate these matters they did not...... Seems that they need a 3 month summer break no matter what happens in the world. So while T.B does his thing he is out on a limb because he does not have the support (in writting) of parliment. No dobt he will get it but stranger things have happened before.
    It was interesting to watch Bush's speach live about going in to battle tonite and the fact that ONLY the UK is in there now with america all the rest have plegded support in the future but are not doing anything just yet.

Go get them boys

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It Really Sickens Me...

I cannot fathom the hate this scumbag must have for our country. I read the Boston globe article about his family and the fact they have disowned him. I found it interesting that his family built many of the sites for Operation Desert storm.

I am saddened that the Afghani people have to suffer for this schmuck!

I applaud Tony Blair's remarks that this isn't Islamic Terrorists, but Terrorists alone.

I say give 'em hell and bring out his head on a stick for all the world to see! And an immediate commendation to the highest military rank for the member of the armed forces who does it!

I couldn't believe his admission to all of the terror attacks on the tape he provided before the strike. Imagine the stupidity of this schmuck! I guess he will get to see Allah (at least in his mind) shortly! DO NOT R.I.P. Bin Laden!

~Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    running around the world like a lap dog
    Sorry John, but someone not from the US had to do it. If the US brought evidence of Taliban involvement to some of these countries, it would be like a trial with both lawyers being related to the victim. No one in the US is exactly impartial at the moment. Besides, it took a good pair of family jewels for the Prime Minister himself to get on a plane and go to Pakistan right now.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Jo

Sorry John, but someone not from the US had to do it. If the US brought evidence of Taliban involvement to some of these countries, it would be like a trial with both lawyers being related to the victim. No one in the US is exactly impartial at the moment. Besides, it took a good pair of family jewels for the Prime Minister himself to get on a plane and go to Pakistan right now.
    Good point, Jo! I agree wholeheartedly!

~Cindy

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

I agree we need to give them hell!! We can't just sit back and put up with this we have to take action. We need to show the Taliban that they have indeed messed with the wrong people.

Steph

Occupation
    Originally posted by Jo

Sorry John, but someone not from the US had to do it. Besides, it took a good pair of family jewels for the Prime Minister himself to get on a plane and go to Pakistan right now.
    I agree that the usa could not have done such a good job :D of getting so much world support from the dithering countries of this world, but you do have a few well respected ex presidents who could have been out there lending a hand.
    As to his crown jewels with 3 kids and the youngest being about one i dobt he needs them to much......

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Okay, given the gravity of events, this will seem petty, but...

Actually, I was quite impressed with Mr. Blair's speaking ability (odd thing to have noticed, but even the structure of his sentences shows a better grasp of the English language than "W" seems to have- which admittably isn't saying much).

The only US politician I enjoy listening to is Dick Cheney. He has a command of the language that allows him to calmly communicate. I found Mr. Blair's delivery to be easy to follow and yet stimulating (due to the increased vocabulary and use of complex sentences).

That said, however our respective leaders choose to put it, I hope we "kick some butt" (or, as TB might say "apply force to the posterior of our dreaded foe" :D ). As to Bin Laden, if you want to "strike fear" into the hearts of Americans- learn English! The guy they have translating for you sounds like Elmer Fudd! ;)

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Like everyone else, I take some bitter satisfaction in seeing us finally strike against the Taliban and bin Laden.

However I'm going to go slightly against consensus here and say that I think it might have been better to wait a little while longer before launching these attacks.

WhY? Mostly as a part of psychological warfare. Keep them guessing as to what you'll do next. The longer they wait for the inevitable reponse, the greater the pressure builds and the more likely they'll slip up and make a mistake. I've read reports indicating that pressure was building up inside of the Taliban and they were beginning to crumble from within. Conversely attacking them at this time could have the unintended consequence of solidifying their support within the ranks.

Granted this view is based on limited data and there may be other factors, but based on what I know I would have waited longer before striking.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    Actually, I was quite impressed with Mr. Blair's speaking ability (odd thing to have noticed, but even the structure of his sentences shows a better grasp of the English language than "W" seems to have- which admittably isn't saying much
    Yep, I've always found it amazing that the British can speak English so well. It's almost like it was taught in their schools or something! ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yessum, dem ther Anglish boys talk good.

By the way, for those of you who live in and around the Tampa Bay area, did anyone notice the demeanor of the TV talking heads on the various news stations on Sunday......notice the fear in their eyes and their inability to but together two cohearent sentences.........................

Think it had anything to do with the realization that the Central Command and Special Ops are at MacDill and Tampa is now ground zero for our little war..........

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Kill them all and let Allah sort them out.

Well,

I must say that Cindy is a big ball of repressed anger. Don't beat around the bush dear, just come out and say what you feel :) Anyway...

T.B. may be a great orator or monologist, but for him and his countries sake they had better do what they've said. Before anyone gets bent out of shape on that let me say that if T.B. can't get the backing of Parliment to follow through with his pledge England will become as big a target as the US for terrorist acts. If you're gonna talk the talk you had better walk the walk.

To our very own Mr. Steve,

I can understand your thinking about waiting but the Taliban will remain unified. That is why the bombing started. Psycologically speaking these people are fanatics that truly believe they are right in their cause and will not give in. "Crumbling from within"? Not an option. Don't let them collapse under their own weight, let them take the stand and then take them out as promised. You have to hit these people head on. Hit them fast, hard and often. Waiting makes one look weak in a situation like this. We must show no fear and no hesitation.

Well, that's what I think,

Darris C.

Occupation

Confused

Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Yep, I've always found it amazing that the British can speak English so well. It's almost like it was taught in their schools or something! ;)
    Steve you arnt the only one, we wonder sometimes
    Na we dont learn english at school anymore they have to teach all the dam forien tounges that we have let in..... Maybe one day we will get back to basics and talk like what we should if you know what i mean.............. now where's my silver spoon.

Pete, yes T.B is a good orator but he seems unable to practice what he preaches.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by John R
    Pete, yes T.B is a good orator but he seems unable to practice what he preaches.
    We didn't take flack from Israeli President Perez and we won't take it from PM Blair no matter how eloquent his speeches are. If the event were ever to arise, I am sure Parliment would like to have US support in return.

I have to agree with Darris on this one. I don't believe Al-Qaida thought we would be able to garner this much international support, not to mention support from Afganistan's neighbors so we have a degree of surprise here. We also give them time to put a plan together if we wait too long.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Kill them all and let Allah sort them out.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darris Chambless
    [B]Well,

I must say that Cindy is a big ball of repressed anger. Don't beat around the bush dear, just come out and say what you feel :) Anyway...

Give the kid a break, Darris. If you grew up in Baltimore, you'd be angry at the world too.............

By the way, do we still have any of that good ol' soapy gasoline left over from Nam. Dump some of that down those rat holes in the Afgan mountains. Nothing like a flame broiled Bin Ladin Burger!:angry:

Occupation
    Originally posted by Jo
    I have to agree with Darris on this one. I don't believe Al-Qaida thought we would be able to garner this much international support, not to mention support from Afganistan's neighbors so we have a degree of surprise here.
    I honestly don't think they care about this support, and could care less what the Western countries and a few 'corrupt' (in their minds) Islamic countries think. They are fighting for the hearts and minds of 1.2 billion Muslims!

I'd like to think that they're wrong, but there'a an alarming amount of support for bin Laden in the Arab and Muslim world. And sadly, there appears to be no Arab or Muslims leaders with the courage and stature to stand up to him. Without this counterbalance, he's winning the PR war in the Muslim world. The world could use someone like Anwar Sadat right now.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    but there'a an alarming amount of support for bin Laden in the Arab and Muslim world.
    Not sure that they support him in person, but more the islamic faith. Bin has a good way of turning himself into the the faith leader.

I think the amount of world support is due to the fact that not only americians but people from most areas of the world were killed on that day. Now if they had hit the Statue of liberity instead, which i feel would have hurt america more would there be overwelming support for this action, i think not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are fighting for the hearts and minds of 1.2 billion Muslims!
    This is where I think folks are wrong. Some of the young folks recruited into the organization may be fighting for what they think are Islamic values but I would bet that Binny and the Taliban are fighting out of pure greed and power lust. The good thing about that is that greed will always make you screw up in the end. The bad point. Once Binny is gone those leaderless young folks will be looking for a new leader to take his place. They have to. If we take out Binny we take out their vehicle for immortality.

I don't know if it is possible to get the true meaning of Islam out to these guys in an effective way on such short notice. Perhaps this "New War" will be carried out effectively enough to show them it isn't worth the trouble. If we can cut off the money going to their families as payout for wearing the "bomb belt," maybe they won't be considered the martyrs they would normally be.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    Actually, I was quite impressed with Mr. Blair's speaking ability (odd thing to have noticed, but even the structure of his sentences shows a better grasp of the English language than "W" seems to have- which admittably isn't saying much).
    I don't know Pete. I kind of like the way "W" says things:
    "When I take action," he said, "I’m not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It’s going to be decisive."

http://www.msnbc.com/news/629589.asp

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    *BUMP*

First off, I should get the award for the oldest thread being brought back from the dead (12 years!!), and second, I was just curious how any of you feel about this now. I recently went through my hard drive and came across some 'open letters' I had written to the world around this same time. It was only a month after 9/11 tragedy, and we as a country were feeling a mix of anger, hurt, patriotism and motivation to rid the planet of those responsible. It's actually quite interesting to get such an honest taste of what we were feeling at that time. It is such a fresh memory, yet seems like so long ago.

Thoughts?
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Thread Information