Thread: Walmart struggling?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Walmart struggling?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Wal-Mart had the formula for success. Problem is, the formula is being copied. Before it was the cheapest. After years of working on their operations, Sears, Zellers, Target are finding ways to match Wal-Mart's prices. You remove the price incentive, and what other reasons are there to shop there?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This article is nearly a year old. We (yes, I'm one of them) are learning from our mistakes and making incredible strides toward improving our customer service, training and quality, especially in the area of optical. The WM vision center I manage, for example, is seeing a steady growth in sales and profit (approx 20% 2007 vs. 2006 and on track to increase another 20% this year) along with an ever-growing base of patients who have found that they can receive exceptional quality, service and health care at a price that allows them to keep a few more dollars in their pockets.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jaross View Post
    The WM vision center I manage, for example, is seeing a steady growth in sales and profit (approx 20% 2007 vs. 2006 and on track to increase another 20% this year) along with an ever-growing base of patients who have found that they can receive exceptional quality, service and health care at a price that allows them to keep a few more dollars in their pockets.

Sorry, it always freaks me out when I see WM and "health care" used in the same sentence.

(No offense...I'm glad you're happy doing what you do!:o:cheers:)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns, I don't understand. Walmart and health care bothers you but Sears and healthcare dosen't? Or target? or costco? or bjs? After I closed my shop I went to Walmart for a tempory job till I figured out where I was going. It's three years later and I have a different opinion now. Till you work there, you don't know what the quality or products are. No it's not guild but it's reasonable quality at a good price. And I've seen some high end places selling garbage at top prices. At least when you walk into this place, you know what to expect.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh no. Sear's, BJs, LC and all the rest bother him too.:bbg:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optowalt View Post
    Johns, I don't understand. Walmart and health care bothers you but Sears and healthcare dosen't? Or target? or costco? or bjs? After I closed my shop I went to Walmart for a tempory job till I figured out where I was going. It's three years later and I have a different opinion now. Till you work there, you don't know what the quality or products are. No it's not guild but it's reasonable quality at a good price. And I've seen some high end places selling garbage at top prices. At least when you walk into this place, you know what to expect.
    Walt,

I was in your shop the weekedn you closed up, and we had a long conversation (actually a few of them) about the WMs, Targets, and Costcos of the world. I have worked at Pearl and Sears, and that was enough to convince me that if I have a choice, I don't want to work for a chain again.

The one statement that I think we can all agree on was your last one, "At least you know what to expect."

I'm glad things are working out for you. (If all they sold was junk, they'd all be out of business.) I also appreciate the hospitality you showed us when we were at your shop a few years ago.

(Why isn't your son running for President yet;))

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Walmart.....................

Quote Originally Posted by ADO View Post
    Walmart struggling?
    A friend of mine was going to pick up her new glasses at a WalMart in Naples FL, and I went along to see the service given just out of pure curiosity.

It could not have been any better in an ordinary other optical business. The frame selection was limited to mid range, no junk. The lenses FT were properly done and the price was very decent.

What surprised me was that also the service was friendly and professional and courteous.

Of course there is no comparison to a high class optical business like the one of an other Optiboard member in the same town, which already looks like luxury and is owner operated who is a real experienced professional who is doing very well.

If WalMart has ever been low class, they for sure they for sure don't seem to be that now, and in today's economy there are plenty people that are looking for a lower priced solution.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wal-Mart is just like any other optical company, there are those that are struggling and those that are doing quite well. Also, it depends on where you go. Certain areas of the country aren't "struggling" economically like other areas. As far as quality and price, Wal-Mart is one of the best. They don't want to be a "high-end" optical. The average Wal-Mart shopper is looking for a good product at a good price and that's who they are catering to.
    Not all corporate optical companies are the same either. There are people who work for Wal-Mart, Pearle, Target, etc. and they love it and others who hate it. Your place of employment is what you make of it and you have the right to choose to work at the optical of your choice. We shouldn't criticize another fellow Optician for where they choose to work. We should all be trying to promote our profession and not bring it down by badmouthing. You never know when you may need a job or a favor. I've learned, don't burn your bridges unless you're 100% sure you NEVER will need to cross them one day. I hope that we ALL can make it through this difficult year economically and look forward to a more prosperous one next year.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Excellent Post Senorwes

Quote Originally Posted by Senorwes1 View Post
    Wal-Mart is just like any other optical company, there are those that are struggling and those that are doing quite well. Also, it depends on where you go. Certain areas of the country aren't "struggling" economically like other areas. As far as quality and price, Wal-Mart is one of the best. They don't want to be a "high-end" optical. The average Wal-Mart shopper is looking for a good product at a good price and that's who they are catering to.
    Not all corporate optical companies are the same either. There are people who work for Wal-Mart, Pearle, Target, etc. and they love it and others who hate it. Your place of employment is what you make of it and you have the right to choose to work at the optical of your choice. We shouldn't criticize another fellow Optician for where they choose to work. We should all be trying to promote our profession and not bring it down by badmouthing. You never know when you may need a job or a favor. I've learned, don't burn your bridges unless you're 100% sure you NEVER will need to cross them one day. I hope that we ALL can make it through this difficult year economically and look forward to a more prosperous one next year.
    There is a new Wal-mart up the street from us and for the most part when Patients want me to check there glasses just to be sure, there work is as good as we give, excellent!!. Last month I had a Pt. who's glasses where not made correct, even on the 2nd remake , his rx was simple, ft 28, when He took them back with my note explaining my finding's they told him the glasses where correct and they alway's have trouble with our office. I was shocked to hear this, I felt it was unrperfessional of the person to say that about another practice, I wanted to go there and find out why they would say such a thing to one of our patients. I chicken'd out. I will wait to see if I have anymore issues.:finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

wally world

I think some of the walmarts are leased out to other companies and some are walmart owned. Does anyone know the difference???? Are the products sold different?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    A friend of mine was going to pick up her new glasses at a WalMart in Naples FL, and I went along to see the service given just out of pure curiosity.

It could not have been any better in an ordinary other optical business. The frame selection was limited to mid range, no junk. The lenses FT were properly done and the price was very decent.

What surprised me was that also the service was friendly and professional and courteous.

Of course there is no comparison to a high class optical business like the one of an other Optiboard member in the same town, which already looks like luxury and is owner operated who is a real experienced professional who is doing very well.

If WalMart has ever been low class, they for sure they for sure don't seem to be that now, and in today's economy there are plenty people that are looking for a lower priced solution.

Sounds just like Sears Optical, except their more of a dumping ground for LC. just my take

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    There is a new Wal-mart up the street from us and for the most part when Patients want me to check there glasses just to be sure, there work is as good as we give, excellent!!. Last month I had a Pt. who's glasses where not made correct, even on the 2nd remake , his rx was simple, ft 28, when He took them back with my note explaining my finding's they told him the glasses where correct and they alway's have trouble with our office. I was shocked to hear this, I felt it was unrperfessional of the person to say that about another practice, I wanted to go there and find out why they would say such a thing to one of our patients. I chicken'd out. I will wait to see if I have anymore issues.:finger:
    That's exactly why it's not a good idea to get in the middle of someone elses problem. If they are having problems with an rx, I send them right back where they got them!

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    You remove the price incentive, and what other reasons are there to shop there?
    Wide variety of items. In one trip I can get groceries, HDTV, Christmas shop for all on my list, and eye exam, glasses and contacts, and I can pick up Subway* sandwiches so I don't have to cook after all that shopping.

*the Walmart I am thinking about has a Subway inside, most have some fast food of some kind.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    Wide variety of items. In one trip I can get groceries, HDTV, Christmas shop for all on my list,
    That's great, but the manufacturers will come right out and tell you that in order to bring the HDTV to WM at the price they are willing to pay, they must use lower quality products to build it. And it's not just WM...

3 years ago, I bought a 60" zero turn commercial mower from the local tractor dealer. It's a Cub Cadet "Tank". I paid around $6500 for it. Last year, I see that Tractor Supply has the seemingly same mower, but for around $2900! I couldn't believe it. I then noticed that the engine was 13hp (mine's 24hp), the mower deck had no reinforcements, the operator handles were tube steel, as opposed to the solid bar type, the seat is not adjustable, and the list goes on. You can cheapen any product. It's like when you meet with the frame manufacturers adn they ask YOU, "How much do YOU want to pay?" You give them a price, and they'll make the frame-with the quality reflecting the price.

Do they sell a lower quality Pringles, or Pepsi at WM. No. Do they sell a lower quality Levi's? Ask the former Levi's workers that lost there jobs. Optowalt summed it up when he said "At least at WM you know what to expect."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Ginster;254618]they told him the glasses where correct and they alway's have trouble with our office. I was shocked to hear this, I felt it was unrperfessional of the person to say that about another practice, I wanted to go there and find out why they would say such a thing to one of our patients. [quote]

We have had that done to us also by a close by office that seems to be struggling. I would never say anything like that though I have been sent notes from "opticians" saying there were errors in the lenses and that they need to be remade. "what errors?" I called but was never able to talk to anyone about it. I swear the lenses were perfect and I checked them several times. But the seed had been planted in the patient's mind and so he no longer trusted us which was the object of the game in the first place.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can say that as an Optician who started in a private dispensary with just an OD, that when I put in my notice that I was going to work for Sam's club, My Boss was floored, as a small business owner he absolutely hated WalMart and all things similar. He always told all of his staff and his patients that the quality of the materials you receive in a retail Optical were "Sub Par" or "Junk"(yeah he was arrogant) So imagine my surprise when I went to Sam's club and sold the exact same lenses for a fraction of the price. It was such a relief to not have to tell a senior on a fixed income that their glasses were going to cost $700. I spent 4 years with Sam's Club and was able to move up the ladder very quickly. While the schedule doesnt fit my life anymore I was very pleased with my time with the Wal Mart Stores Inc. and take any oppurtunity to stick up for them since they get so much negative publicity. I work in a fairly large Ophthamology practice now and yeah our prices are higher than retail chains, but it is very nice to know that if I have a patient who truly cannot afford to purchase their glasses from us that there is somewhere they can get quality eyewear at a very reasonable price. I think it would do everyone some good to be a bit more open minded.:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsFoley View Post
    So imagine my surprise when I went to Sam's club and sold the exact same lenses for a fraction of the price. It was such a relief to not have to tell a senior on a fixed income that their glasses were going to cost $700.
    If your boss was selling "the exact same lenses" then this is just a case of him overcharging. $700 for the senior citizen? On a fixed income? Hmm...

We happen to (I didn't plan it) sell our lenses for less than WM does (in many cases). We don't advertise that fact for fear our customers will think we are selling "the exact same lenses".

$700? They'd have to pick a generic cat food for dinner after that?

Oh, and are you back to selling $700 glasses to seniors on fixed incomes?Or is the MD matching WMs prices?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Christian Dior......................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Do they sell a lower quality Pringles, or Pepsi at WM. No. Do they sell a lower quality Levi's? Ask the former Levi's workers that lost there jobs. Optowalt summed it up when he said "At least at WM you know what to expect."

Just to add some to that post.....................

A textile manufacturer in Montreal making nothing than jeans.........not Levis in the 1970s sold them to K-Mart and Sears for $ 7.00 a piece which they re-sold for 19.00.

He also had a designer license, I believe it was Christian Dior , and sold the exact same jeans to boutiques for $ 55.00 which got re-sold for $ 100.00. :D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    If your boss was selling "the exact same lenses" then this is just a case of him overcharging. $700 for the senior citizen? On a fixed income? Hmm...

We happen to (I didn't plan it) sell our lenses for less than WM does (in many cases). We don't advertise that fact for fear our customers will think we are selling "the exact same lenses".

$700? They'd have to pick a generic cat food for dinner after that?

Oh, and are you back to selling $700 glasses to seniors on fixed incomes?Or is the MD matching WMs prices?
    So normally I wouldnt give someone like you the satisfaction of a reply, however I am making this one exception. Perhaps if you spent a little more time actually researching all of the common misconceptions of the retail optical world you would know that they are in fact misconceptions. Maybe you should spend more time in your optical and less time on here complaining about things you are never going to be able to change. I mean lets face it we all know retail optical, be it WM or some other chain, is going to be around for a long time to come, and I would venture to say that when your shop goes out of business the WM down the street will still be going strong.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would venture to say that when your shop goes out of business the WM down the street will still be going strong.
    And then can I take some time off?:D:cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So normally I wouldnt give someone like you the satisfaction of a reply, however I am making this one exception. Perhaps if you spent a little more time actually researching all of the common misconceptions of the retail optical world you would know that they are in fact misconceptions. Maybe you should spend more time in your optical and less time on here complaining about things you are never going to be able to change.
    1. Thanks for the satisfaction of a reply. I'm satisfied now.:cheers:
    2. Misconceptions are in fact misconceptions? Ok, we can agree on that!:cheers:
    3. I'm not complaining, merely stating my opinion.:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Keep fighting the Good Fight!

So normally I wouldnt give someone like you the satisfaction of a reply, however I am making this one exception. Perhaps if you spent a little more time actually researching all of the common misconceptions of the retail optical world you would know that they are in fact misconceptions. Maybe you should spend more time in your optical and less time on here complaining about things you are never going to be able to change. I mean lets face it we all know retail optical, be it WM or some other chain, is going to be around for a long time to come, and I would venture to say that when your shop goes out of business the WM down the street will still be going strong.

You are right! This "JOHNS" guy is always spouting off about this and that. He spews lies like "BigBoy Opticals are Evil" and "Customer service is King" and other filth. Sometimes, I can't even believe the audacity of some of his posts.

What an out of touch loudmouth. I bet this guy couldn't even run an optical, let alone OWN one! What does he know about retail?

Sheeesh, I'm glad you said it! I always wanted to!

(The above statement was sent from FezzJohns, Inc. Spin and Sarcasm Dept and does not reflect the opinion of those involved)

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation

Quality Staffing is the Key

Ive been lucky enough to work in just about every situation. High Volume retails stores, Private OD offices, Low Volume retail, An OD/MD office with multiple locations, Huge Wholesale Labs, Small labs, etc...etc....

I cannot say which was my favorite because looking back, I really liked all of them. I always took very high pride in my work, even when the pay was $3.85 an hour.

You can always find a Walmart optical or other retail chain store that has management who really cares about the business and the customers. In these stores the customer service scores are usually very high and they are dispensing quality work. On the other hand, you can also find management teams who are just going through the motions and collecting a paycheck. This attitude reflects on all the employees and the business suffers. The same thing is true in Doctors offices. Its all about who is running the business and its employees.

Now I know its not easy to find high quality happy energetic young people who are willing to work on an entry level payscale. I spent many hours interviewing potential employees and rejecting 90% of them. The 10% I hired were customer service oriented with goals and they either got moved up the ladder or moved out the door. I am very proud of many of my old employees who started out by greeting customers and answering phones. Some of them are now managing their own stores and some have become licensed opticians.

I will bet when Fezz was a young pup he was the kind of go getter I am talking about here.

Its all about the staff at the location.
    Many large chains get a bad rap because of one store and word of mouth. In reality, that chain may have 500 stores and 450 of them are the best place for a customer to visit in any particular town. The bad stores hurt the whole chains reputation.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Internet glasses are what worry me much more then glasses from Walmart or Target.

I post at another board and there is a thread there about Zenni Optical and how cheap their glasses are. Everyone is gushing over how they are loving their new glasses and talking about how to take your own PD.

Thread Information