Thread: Santinelli LE 9000LX - A good edger?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Confused Santinelli LE 9000LX - A good edger?

...posted a couple days ago about the Horizon III dry cut edger and it sounds like it's going to be a 'bear' to try to cut any smaller frames. I also have the opportunity to purchase the Santineeli LE 9000LX with the ICE Intelligent blocker. How does that differ from the SX. Is the tracer built in? Is this a decent machine? Thanks in advance.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    LX has no grooving and safety bevel function. Other than that, its the same as the SX, only a little older.
    The ice blocker is pretty cool, but I never used one in the field.
    I was always a manual kind of guy.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter bblaker's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have an SX for sale on the marketplace that grooves, polishes, safety bevel, built in tracer, nidek blocker, blocks, calibration tools....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. B View Post
    ...posted a couple days ago about the Horizon III dry cut edger and it sounds like it's going to be a 'bear' to try to cut any smaller frames. I also have the opportunity to purchase the Santineeli LE 9000LX with the ICE Intelligent blocker. How does that differ from the SX. Is the tracer built in? Is this a decent machine? Thanks in advance.
    "Feeding the beast, hoping it will eat you last" -- Winston Churchill

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. B View Post
    I used one for a couple of years. The place I was working at the time got it new to replace the 7070 that died on us. We didn't have the ICE blocker though. The tracer is built in, and can trace frames or lenses. It would throw an error message if there was too much size difference between OD and OS (we had some cheap frames for medical cards where that was an issue sometimes, but I could work around it by tracing them one at a time.)
    The tech who set it up for us said it could interface with a computer (to store tracing data) but the practice owners didn't want to spring for the extra $$. Like the others said no grooving or safety bevel, but it did a nice edge polish. It also will tell you when it's time to change the water in the tank (based on number of cuts). What I liked best about it was it faster and quieter than our old one, especially on polycarb.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have the ice blocker along with the 9000sx. they work fantastic ,however the ice blocker has alot of "tricks" to deal with to make it work prefect. I still like love it though. I also have a horizion 3 and by far the santinelli does a much better job on small frames.
    Hope this helps. Mike

Thread Information