Thread: prescription visor for football?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

prescription visor for football?

I had a young football player come in today asking if we could make or order a prescription visor for his football helmet. I had never heard of such a thing. Most of our athletes we suggest contacts or prescription sport goggles. I actually decided to do some research on the topic and got wind of a company in europe that supposedly used laser etching to make a full visor in a patients script! has anyone else heard of this or is it all smoke and mirror tint?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Could anyone even guess the vertex distance on that?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Helmet Inserts

I know that some of the schools out here in Texas will tell the students where to purchase an insert that snaps in the helmet for the prescription lenses. Seen a couple of those, been a long while though since I've seen one. When I worked in the wholesale labs We would do them along with diving mask inserts and welders helmet inserts.:)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Such stuff does exist. The headgear uses an insert similar to a Scott AirPac. Have the costomer bring in the helmet and insert. first, determine it's suitability and then take the PD and vertex measurements and glaze away.

The main thing is to supply the lenses only lest you get into a lot of headaches.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i have seen the inserts and didnt care for them much. From a players POV they didnt work well. Goggles would be much better, or just a sport frame. With the insert attatched to the helmet, they move independantly from the head.

if your shop deals with oakley (bad word) that would be a much better option, or some of the sports glasses from hilco.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ErikCOV,

Welcome to Optiboard!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thanks, i didnt notice a newb lounge or anything like that for introductory posts, but thank you!

im one of the Few representing the SW, Rio Rancho (albuquerque) New Mexico it looks like

Occupation
    Optometrist
    There are a few sports glasses/goggles designed for under helmet wear. That eliminates vertex issues, and, when the pt is on the bench and takes the helmet off he can still see. Rx visor does not seem like a terribly good idea. Hell, CT lenses w/ a nonRx visor are probably a better idea.

AA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Speaking as someone who actually wore one of those helmets for quite a few years, I can't see how the visor would work well. The VD is going to be somewhere between 45 and 50mm, which is just silly, added to that, the ammount of movement you have... Just doesn't seem like it would do anything but make you sick. Goggles all the way.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No football visor in RX!

Quote Originally Posted by fivetradejack View Post
    I had a young football player come in today asking if we could make or order a prescription visor for his football helmet. I had never heard of such a thing. Most of our athletes we suggest contacts or prescription sport goggles. I actually decided to do some research on the topic and got wind of a company in europe that supposedly used laser etching to make a full visor in a patients script! has anyone else heard of this or is it all smoke and mirror tint?
    Oakley offers a plano in poly with no RX option as does Under Armour in NXT. If it could be done and wearable, Oakley would seem as the logical one since they already do the M frame with a lens cut out that could work on a Football Visor.
    Liberty makes a few models for helmets that have a strap over the top to ensure they don't slide down over over your eyes. Pech Optical is a distributer for Liberty and the one who does the RX work for them.

Sounds like a perfect job for NXT lenses.

Craig
    echnology Broker

Thread Information