Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you are an optician, NCSORB needs your HELP!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have reviewed the comments at the end of the survey and I will try to answer a couple of the questions.

1) Why didn't you include questions on refraction?
    - We are trying to create a regional/national practical exam for opticians and opticians are not allowed by law to refract.

2) Why didn't we include business related questions?
    - As state regulatory boards we are responsible for the health, safety and welfare of the citzens of our respective states. Business practices generally do not fall under our jurisdiction.

3) Why are we doing a survey when so many other organizations are doing something similar?
    - As our society becomes more mobile, opticians would like to move from one state to another. State regulatory boards are required to uphold the laws and regulations of the individual states as well as provide the possibility of employment for qualified individuals. We are attempting to create one practical exam that will cover all of the needs of each licensing state and most importantly make it legally defensible, to accomblish this we need to survey as many opticians as possible.

I hope this helps answer some of the questions you may have about the survey. Thanks for taking the survey and please ask and or remind all of you optician friends to take the survey. ( just copy the link and email it to your friends and colleagues).

Thanks,
    Jon

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdwn View Post
    Don P.
    ROATX OPTICIAN OF THE YEAR
    Wow, nice job Don. Sorry for the thread drift

Thomas
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Hey Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBurton View Post
    I'm like Old Nick--never was in a formal apprenticeship program. I got hired by an optician in Austin thirty-some years ago and just followed him around, watching what he did and asking questions when the customers left. Plus, sweeping out the back room, cleaning the dead cockroaches out of the dropball tester which he NEVER used ("Why would I want to damage a perfectly good lens?") and being polite to people that he would harrass ("If I can make a sales rep cry, it's a good day.") It was quite an education, I can tell you! I bought a copy of "Professional Dispensing for Opticianry" and took the tests at the end of each chapter. When I got my certification, I left and went to work for Pat Sreenan in Dallas--the best boss in the world.

I have very mixed feelings about licensing. I've met some really bad licensed opticians. I think that the best way to learn is by following someone around and watching--but it's better if you're following someone GOOD!
    Not only are we both named Virginia, I live in Arlington, Texas. How freaky is that,:drop: Sorry to change the subject everyone

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about a choice for us non- US residents on Q 1.??
    Shwing

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Mark Miller- POF;252504]I am interested in helping promote the NCSORB survey on our web site and in our eNewletter and was interested in why there is a limited number practice settings for Opticians are listed. If these are the only work options available for respondents - will that skew the results of the survey? Can Opticians that work in other places and still take the survey?

8. Which best describes where you work?
    • Independent Optician
    • Independent Ophthalmic practice
    • Independent Optometric practice
    • Laboratory
    • Not currently employed
    Can additional options be added to this questions?

I believe they ask if you feel they've left anything out (or need to add anything) at the end of the survey. I don't remember the exact wording.
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    More for the list

1) Sales center mascaradeing as an Optical Shop.
    2) Dispensary Owned by prescriber but disquised to look independent.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First, thanks for the question about the location of employment. Sorry if we didn't cover all of the employment options. Before posting this survey we showed the survey to a lot of opticians through out the country and no one indicated that we were missing a place or type of employment. The reason for this survey is to help us better understand all facets of Opticianry, so if you believe we missed something we need to know about it. Please use the comments portion at the end of the survey to inform us of anything we missed.

Secondly, yes we would love for you to pass on the survey to one and all.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper optical survey

It only took me about four minutes to complete. Hopefully, some day there will be a national license to be an optician. I live on the Ohio/Pa border and have worked in both states--Ohio licensed and Pa not. There are many benefits to being licensed -- the pay scale for one. Being treated as a professional instead of sales person, for another. It bugs the heck out of me, that I can be interrupted by either a patient or the doctor, and told to stop what I am doing to take care of their needs. I would never do that to them! I feel each patient deserves my time, and I will excuse myself if that patient is being indecisive for a long period of time; but to be pulled away is a different thing altogether. My appointments are just as important as a doctor and usally more profitable, as well as helping with returning patients. All states need to stop treating us as sales people and appreciate what we do.

Bad address email on file mhboptics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    took about 8 mins for survey.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    :idea:Good survey. Makes you think.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper What is split prism for glasses