Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Eyemed thread!

Bad address email on file CindyLouWho's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have followed this topic with great interest every time it comes up, and finally have to pose the question I have been dying to ask. Why does it never come up how Eyemed came to exist? What it its purpose?

Why would LensCrafters or Luxottica want to "join" or "support" their competition in any form unless you know the real reason it benefits them?

As it was explained to me, LensCrafters could not qualify for some insurance plans because they did not have enough locations to qualify or appeal to the insurance providers in some cases. Hence the creation of Eyemed. If you, as a private OD or LDO, can be convinced to "sign up", you increase the locations to an acceptable level, thus helping your competitor---LensCrafters! to have access to more customers. This is constantly presented to the private practitioners as "an opportunity" for YOU to have access to insurance providers you would not have access to as a small business. But, I ask you, would LensCrafters or Luxottica truly do anything that takes money out of their pockets and give it to you?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

Originally posted by CindyLouWho
    As it was explained to me, LensCrafters could not qualify for some insurance plans because they did not have enough locations to qualify or appeal to the insurance providers in some cases. Hence the creation of eyemed.
    Hi Cindylouwho! Welcome to the posting side of Optiboard!!

LensCrafters' web site currently lists 858 stores. How many locations do you suppose those insurance providers have to see before they want to commit to a contract?

I am a Luxottica shareholder and I have worked at LensCrafters for 7 years, so I guess I am biased.

Eyemed added another big "local" contract last March for Tennessee Valley Authority employees, retirees, and their immediate families. My store has seen a LOT of increased business from this contract. TVA is a flood control, power generation, land management, etc. group set up by Congress in 1933. Their web site lists 13,145 current employees, and 8,000 retirees in the volunteer association, so I am estimating under 50,000 subscribers and family members eligible. TVA'ers live mostly in TN, GA, KY, AL, but have spread out through out the US. I estimate less than 50 LensCrafter stores in the major affected area. The idea of the plan is that the TVA'ers can go to any LensCrafter store and to lots of independents too!

My husband is a TVA retiree. He used have to go through Cole to use his vision benefits. Naturally I didn't let him! We were happy when the plan changed this year.

Now to get to the point:
    LensCrafters is big, but Eyemed is more than just LensCrafters. If you are in Eyemed, your business doesn't funnel money into LensCrafter pockets! (Unless we are talking about those who happen to be Luxottica shareholders.) The businesses are separate.
    You can sign up if you think it will grow your business. But don't if it feels wrong for you.

Personally, I like the fact that it brings people in, and many of those people come back even if they have already used their benefits. They like the service, and they like the products, and many appreciate getting their glasses today. But the sales process can take longer (especially when you have to explain, and explain, and explain the details of the benefits to the subscribers.) Its not the best way for every optical. But it works for many.

"Ok, I'm through singing now."
    JP

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Cindy,

Many companies want to have a variety of providers! This gives the customer a choice to go to a chain, O.D. or M.D. Ect.

Plus Luxottica is making money selling frames to independents as well as at LC. They want idependents to see many lives. Why - So they can sell more frames. If they get independents to sign up and they never see lives they will stop buying the frames.

Luxottica knows that not everyone wants to go Lenscrafters. Most of my accounts try to show their customers how they are different from chain stores!

For every 1 Lenscrafters there are 35 independents!

Again- If you have time in the day to see more people then you may want to look in to Eyemed.

Bad address email on file CindyLouWho's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can certainly appreciate everyone making their own choice with regards to enrolling or not in Eyemed.

My experience is just that Eymed exists to benefit LensCrafters under the guise of "helping" independents. I can obviously see that if the private practitioners are getting more business than they would have and the reimbursement amounts are enough for them to still profit, it is their choice. But I worked for LensCrafters for 15 years and watched them go through a lot of changes in ownership (Dean Butler to US Shoe to Luxottica) and have watch their ethics, in my opinion, slowly erode.

My post was just to express my feelings and I am happy as I read new posts that everyone seems to be really weighing their options before just signing up.

Thanks for the reply!:cheers:

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello all,

Optirep brought up a good point for me to make :)

"Many companies want to have a variety of providers! This gives the customer a choice to go to a chain, O.D. or M.D. Ect." The customer has a choice with or without Eyemed or any other third party plan. Companies want benefit packages that they can offer their employees sos to show how much they have to offer new prospects for employment. Usually this equates to less money out of the pocket of the Company due to "volume discount". The more employees the cheaper the rate which is also good business.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place because I know why they (Eyemed et al.) do what they do and why companies go for it. It's business and I understand that. But I also understand the cost to the consumer as well and they aren't getting any breaks regardless of what anyone believes or what they're told. The consumer pays more(directly or indirectly), the provider gets paid less and the third party makes money for doing nothing other than administrative work. The consumer is lead to believe they are getting a benefit and on the surface it looks that way. The third party plans keep getting more and more "lives" because they know very few consumers will look under the surface or read the fine print and that's what they bank on. Good business but bad economic sense on the part of the consumer.

Good accountants can make numbers magically disappear or at least become undetectable to the human eye.

We all have a choice of what we do with our money and those choices should be smart ones. The problem at present is that by getting into these third party plans people are creating the demise of medicine and the quality of care that they expect and don't realize it because of the "dog and pony show". I've always looked at it like this:"Ain't nothing in this world that's free." and "You can't get something for nothing."

Well, those are my thoughts. You may not agree and that's okay, but it's all true no matter how you slice it. Truth is truth.

Darris C.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Darris,

It apparent that you are not just against Eyemed but every plan.

As more and more people are covered by plans year after year (and they will be) what would you recomend people to do to stay in business as their customer base shrinks?

Also Why do you think so many of the three O's have accepted these plans for years, and are taking more and more every year?

Why do you also think that this thread and others like it are the most read?

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Darris,

You seem like a last word kind of guy. You have to admire that!

You sure are making my fingers tired!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>

Also Why do you think so many of the three O's have accepted these plans for years, and are taking more and more every year?

<<<<<<<<<<<<

This is a good thing?..NOT, I have been around a few years as a retail owner as well as a wholesale owner and know probably more than 50 OD's and 20 or so OMD's and I have yet heard ANY of them say this was a good thing.
    You make less money (profits) spend more chair time and usually have xtra staff just to figure out and keep track of all the paper work these "monsters" generate.. oh yea the good part..see more people and make less profit..yep that's a good thing all right, since I do NOT see the frame companies coming down in prices (in Lux. case REQUIRING them to carry more frames) I DO see the wholesalers taking the brunt of it by having to cut prices on lens to stay competitive .. I do see staff in both stores and offices getting less and less educated and more people trying to figure ways out under the plans to make money and skimping on "experienced" staff to try to make up the difference.
    If some of you more optically "savvy" guys heard some of the questions I deal with on a daily basis when it comes to optic's you would want to sit down and cry.....
    I see more of a trend the other way when it comes to optical knowledge and moving more towards "cookie cutter" optics.
    I deal with a number of people at LC and Pearle and some of the questions they are asking me makes me wonder just what the heck they are doing there... these companies that beat the corp. drum and they have been trained from the start with that way of doing it are not even aware of the choices out there when it comes to material and design..
    Here are a few samples of things I have run into in just the last few weeks....

"tinted or polarized? ".."tinted lens work just as well"

"poly has the best optics out there..and I seen through a polariscope (which they didn't know the actual name of the device) the "dark" areas.. that's the mark just like a "maltese cross" in hardened glass" YIKES

"you do NOT need to backside coat poly"

"glass has the "worst" optical qualities out there when it comes to optics"

"you don't really need a mono PD on aspheric's"

One of my favorites.... had an "optician" neutralize a pair of lens the OD was Plano with a 2.50 add and the OS was a 1.50sphere/2.50add ...checked the plano side first..slid the frame across the bar in the lensometer and called me and told me that they had "1^ of vertical imbalance" ...asked them to check it left to right and low and behold the "vertical imbalance" disappeared
    :hammer:

Any way you guys want to slice it..when you have to see more people and generate more paper work and make less profit..that is not a good thing for the OD's and OMD's and lets face it it's a trickle down effect.... If I'm an OD and I want to save money than I have to do it in wages now and shopping for deals...
    The Ins. plans and third party stuff is to embedded into our industry to do much about it now.. but you wonder why the enrollment in OD's school is down? Why would you go that far into debt for a profession where your return on investment is so poor and gets worse every year?
    If you are not part of the frame company than I don't see where you ought to be standing up and cheering for these things.. If you are an independent WITHOUT an OD refracting by you or in-house than you are really hurting, you carry 125 frames..(you get a whopping 2% prompt pay) than give your "live" (hate that word) a discount ..so you are doing more volume..than turn around and REORDER that from again for your stock and turn around and make less again on the next "live"... Yep that's a good thing. I know you are a frame rep and all but you better start seeing it from a lot of these smaller guys points of view or you won't be making to many "new" friends ;) ..I see it everyday and hear about it everyday from my independent OD's and opticians that they FEEL like they are getting squeezed more and more... and that market share is shrinking more and more..
    At least I am trying to see it from people (like Darris) point of view ... feel for the small guy (compared to the chains).....

Oh and I am NOT saying everyone who works at the chains are inept, I know a lot who do know their stuff.. but the ones that do not, out number the ones that do (at least in my area)

Jeff "optic's gotta love it" Trail

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In VMail, from VisionMonday for October 8, 2001.
    http://www.visionmonday.com
    Naional Vision Administrators Launches Mail-Order CL Service

EAST HANOVER, N.J.--National Vision Administrators, a vision-care
    management group and affiliate of National Prescription Administrators, has begun offering a mail-order home-delivery service for contact lenses called Contact Fill, currently available to more than three million of its plan members nationwide.
    Not a good sign on the part of third party plans. I doubt plans doing this will find a way to reimburse OD's for lost income from CL sales by increasing the provider reimbursements on evaluations and exams. I guess LO's filling CL's are just sunk.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Optirep,

A "last word kind of guy"? When I'm right, you better believe it ;)

Why are these threads read so frequently? Because everone is intrested in the potential demise of their business. Knowledge is power and the more you know the better off you are.

"As more and more people are covered by plans year after year (and they will be) what would you recomend people to do to stay in business as their customer base shrinks?" Herein lies the problem. The customer base won't shrink, only the dollars coming into a business will. Think of it this way, how many people do you think would accept a plan that said "You will have the same out of pocket expense if you sign up for this plan, but we'll hold your money for you so that you won't spend. We know best."? None would. So how do you get people to sign up? Offer lower costs on products and services with providing offices, offer them the "For less than a cup of coffee a day..." scenario for the actual cost of the plan and never let the consumer actually see how much they're really paying.

With that said how would a third party plan make money if they were paying the full UC fees to the providers? They could make a little money by intrest earned while it was in their accounts and holding off on payment to the provider for 45 days. Most do this along with reducing the amounts paid to the provider (an administrative fee so to speak. Usually a percentage, not a set amount)

Yes, I'm against all third party plans except those that allow a specific charge for goods and services and allow us to charge the patient the remainder. In these plans we the providers get to collect our full UC fees AND we don't have to buy anything from the third party company to qualify.

"Also Why do you think so many of the three O's have accepted these plans for years, and are taking more and more every year?" The reason that many became providers for the plans years ago is because they actually PAID years ago. Once they were in these plans their patient base became subscribers to these plans and then they were stcuk and couldn't get out of it as reimbursement began to deminish and the wholesale cost of goods and services began to increase. The reason the three O's are taking more and more every year is because it is not a requirement for education or licensing to take business courses. These people don't have a clue as to what they're signing up for whether they tell you they do or not. The funny part is that after a short period of time (if they're smart) they will restrict the scheduling times available for those subscribers whose plans don't reimburse well.

If you want to do a little research, here's something that you might find interesting. Research hospitals to keep it simple. Find out how much of their monetary volume comes from third party and if you can get sample numbers from the CFO at any one hospital (be sure dates are included with reimbursemnt numbers) You will find that most hospitals are insolvent and only swap dollars for dollars. They're working on volume not income. They're paying todays bills with next weeks money. That's not a safe way to do it and not a viable way of staying in operation. Let me ask you a question. Why do you think that hospitals, doctors offices and Optical shops are constantly being sold off or closed? Both hospitals here have been bought and sold I can't even tell you how many times. One of the hospitals was bought twice by the same company. All of the walk-in clinics owned by these two companies operate in the red every year.

Check into it. You might find it interesting.

Take care,

Darris "Not an Eyemed basher, but an all third party basher." C.

PS. "Why do you also think that this thread and others like it are the most read?" Because I'm here :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Do Lenscrafters offer one hour service to Eyemed and other third party insurances?
    Do they accept other insurances?
    Medicaid?
    Medicare?
    Private insurances?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LENNY
    Do Lenscrafters offer one hour service to Eyemed and other third party insurances?
    Yes, if the lenses are in stock, just as for regular, private pay patients.

Do they accept other insurances? yes, many others, such as BCBS

Medicaid? no; at least not in my area of TN; not sure about rest of company.

Medicare? we file for patient, but they pay up front and wait for reimbursement.

Private insurances? other insurance plans are accepted if the employer has set up a billing program with LensCrafters. Some patients think they have "vision insurance" but for many it is really just a discount program. Most plans allow for upgrades at the patients' expense.

JP

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks JennyP!

Thread Information