Thread: "Smart" car reviewed on MSNBC website

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

"Smart" car reviewed on MSNBC website

The 2008 "smart fortwo" or "smart" car--that real short new car--has been a topic before in this forum.

MSNBC online has a two page review:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25588420/

And.. Toyota to start building the Prius in the U.S. by 2010:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25621408/

You've just experienced the perfect balance of information and entertainment.. the Great American Post
    Last edited by rinselberg; 07-15-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We have a dealership for them not too far from my house. I went to look at them as an alternative for my mom's Exploder...errr.. Explorer.

Amazingly solid little cars! When you close the doors, it's more solid sounding than my friend's Ford truck. My husband (6'1", 215lbs) didn't feel like he was shoehorned into it.

We did make jokes about things like the AC being an add on (I said it was a window unit), was the emergency brake just two holes in the floorboards for your feet, etc.

If I was in the market for a new car, I'd get one of these. And my mechanic husband is considering it as a commuter car for himself - even for winter use

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I've wanted one since they were first introduced

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I am not ready to consider buying one yet, mainly for vanity reasons (zomg, I admit it, unlike most). But if you have a two car house, this is ideal. Your second vehicle could be a car, SUV, Truck, Van, whatever. When you need to drive kids around, lots of luggage, road trips ect, use the truck. If you need to get to work, use the Smart Car. Your wallet will thank you.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone know the price for one of these jewels?

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I am not ready to consider buying one yet, mainly for vanity reasons (zomg, I admit it, unlike most). But if you have a two car house, this is ideal. Your second vehicle could be a car, SUV, Truck, Van, whatever. When you need to drive kids around, lots of luggage, road trips ect, use the truck. If you need to get to work, use the Smart Car. Your wallet will thank you.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy View Post
    Does anyone know the price for one of these jewels?
    Basic Smart Car model, in the US, starts at $12,000. I also think you get environmental rebates.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/cat...rtwo_pure.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd rather have a Vespa!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

You kidding? All they are is an enclosed Vespa.:bbg:

Get one for each of your feet.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

This was the reason we started looking at them. My mom was talking about getting a motorcycle and I'm not hip to it as I know how she was on the back of my dad's bike (lean the wrong way). And as she can't ride her bike in the winter, we looked into these.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I see 4 of these Smart cars regularly on the roads of Pinellas County since spring.

What I noticed is that they do not appear keep up with traffic flow. At traffic signals, starting from a dead stop, they have no pop.

I have seen gaps in traffic form in front of them that allow other drivers from other lanes cut the Smart car off. This backs their lane up, causing others to pass/cut them off. This is on US 19 and some of the surface roads that feed I 275. If there is an accident you could make a case that they impede the flow of traffic.

Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have several issues with the Smart, especially after test driving one a few weeks back. Here in BC they're becoming more common and I see a few on my daily commute on the highway. After driving one, I firmly believe these things should NOT be permitted on the open highway- they're too small and light to withstand the draft from commercial trucks, and combine that with a stiff breeze, it is VERY difficult to keep from being sucked into the draft of a semi. I know- it almost happened when I test drove! Further, when operated in automatic mode (you can switch between manual clutchless shifting and automaggot with a quick flick of the floor shifter) there is a decidedly unsafe lag, or bog, when accelerating from a stop and the tranny shifts between first and second. But driving in manual means using the shifting paddles on the steering wheel (I'm sure one would get used to that but why?????) I had commented to the salesman who accompanied me on my abbreviated test drive that my husband had just spent a fortune fixing our other car to NOT behave in this way as it was a hazard on the road, and he just laughed and said you get used to it! Yah! Right! Also, the Smart was by far the noisiest and roughest ride I test drove, by a large margin. I was intending on driving down the freeway about 40kms to get a real good feel for the car but decided after only two kms this was definitely not the vehicle for someone who commutes almost 200kms a day.

Yes, they do appear to be well built and solid little cars, and are roomy enough for two, but when there are alternatives which are MUCH more fun to drive and only SLIGHTLY less economical (I'm getting close to 60mpg, imperial of course) in my new Yaris 5speed, why get a Smart? Further, the Smart dealers are few and far between, and here they're part of the Mercedes dealerships. The maintenance costs are astronomical compared to the Toyota, and Smart requires that your under warranty servicing and oil changes be performed at a dealership .

(and btw, I LOVE my new car!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Snazzy looking sled you got there CindyK!!

Enjoy and be safe!!

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy, thanks for the personal review of the SMART car. And for the thumbs-up on the Yaris. Those mean more to me than any of the promo materials.

I love the red color! Enjoy your ride!!
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Thread Information