Thread: how to tell patients no?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

how to tell patients no?

I had a guy today that picked his frame out with his wife while I was helping another patient. The lenses are too small for him, and the frame sits up too high on his face (plastic frame, no nose pads to adjust.) His had nice big eyes, which sat too close to the outside edge of the lens, and overall it was not a good fit for him. I explained all of these things, showed him everything else we had in a similar style, pointed out the differences in a properly sized frame vs. his choice and everything else I could think of, but he insisted on his initial choice.

What do you do with a patient like that? He needed glasses, but those just were not right for him at all. I can't refuse to serve him, but I don't want anyone knowing I let him out of the store like that! I'm also aware that poor frame selection often leads to remakes, which is never a great thing. How do you force a patient away from a bad choice, short of smacking his knuckles with a ruler or flat out refusing to sell him what he wants?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You do exactly what you did. You can't force someone to get what you suggest, all you can do is explain why you think it's a bad idea. If afterwards they still want the bad choice... let them make it. It's their choice to make. I had a woman come in, +7 or so. Chose a semi-rimless frame. After doing everything I could to convince her that a full frame would come out way better, and having her reply "I've never liked how any of my glasses have looked, why should these ones be any different?" I conceded. You can't win them all! Note in their file that you told them about the potential problem, and make em.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After pointing out that the frame is a poor choice and why you make sure the patient understands that you are not going to be responsible for the outcome. I had one last week. The patient insisted(and I mean insisted)that he wanted the frame. It was two sizes too small and looked ridiculous. After going back and forth about it for a while I simply told him that if he wanted to walk around looking like his head was swollen it was up to him. I duly noted on his record(in front of him)that "Mr. S insisted on this frame and understands we are not responsible for fit". I have refused in some cases where I knew the visual acuity would be altered by the frame choice but this was distance only spherical so basically it was just a matter of him looking like a turnip.

P.S. Fathead picked them up yesterday. He thinks they look great. Go
    figure.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That's an awkward situation. If you've done everything you can and the patient still wants them, so be it I guess. We had a man come in and pick out a very obvious pink metal woman's frame with a feminine temple design and he would NOT budge. Oh well.

Do you have a satisfaction guarantee type of deal where the patient can bring them back if he ends up not liking them?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once had a dude come in and he picked out some "Sally Jesse" red frames with a couple of sparkles on the temple. At first I didn't know what to say, but then I started in with the same things.... "it's red", "it's got sparkles", "it's a WOMAN"S frame".... But he wanted it, it fit, and I sold it. When he came in to pick them up, he was in the most beautiful drag concoction and they looked splendid on him! I never knew, and all you can do is try your best, and then let people be people.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some of my best selling men's frames are the Sigrid Olsen collection from Altair. Every frame in that collection is a feminine style but for some reason more men buy them than women.

No accounting for taste.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

You might try. . . . .

making him sign a waiver. They don't usually like to do that and will often either choose another frame or walk. I used to have a rubber stamp that stated: I understand that I am choosing a frame or lens that is an unsuitable fit for me. I understand that there will be no remakes due fit or lens choice. If you could just sign this for me sir, I'll make a copy for you and one for your file.

Good luck to you!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If a Man picks out an (obvious) women's frame...

I tactfully warn them that thy're about to commit a "Seinfeld" episode, where George...(well, you know the rest).

Works *every* time!

Barry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    making him sign a waiver. They don't usually like to do that and will often either choose another frame or walk. I used to have a rubber stamp that stated: I understand that I am choosing a frame or lens that is an unsuitable fit for me. I understand that there will be no remakes due fit or lens choice. If you could just sign this for me sir, I'll make a copy for you and one for your file.
    I think this is a great idea! That way you kind of are telling them flat out " hey those look like junk on you and you won't be happy" but in the nicest way possible of course :D
    Maddie, CPO :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem is the walking bit. While I don't like the fact that someone's walking around with stupid looking glasses from my dispensary, I'd rather they spent their stupid money here rather than somewhere else.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    The problem is the walking bit. While I don't like the fact that someone's walking around with stupid looking glasses from my dispensary, I'd rather they spent their stupid money here rather than somewhere else.
    But, what if they buy the stupid looking glasses and then their friends think "whoa, those glasses look terrible on him!! Don't the people at that office know what they're doing? Remind me not to go there for glasses!" Do you think you would indirectly lose business?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just say NO!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    I usually tell them jokingly,

"I'll make them for you as long as you promise not to tell anyone we sold them to you"

It works everytime, they always pick something else.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opt2012 View Post
    Do you have a satisfaction guarantee type of deal where the patient can bring them back if he ends up not liking them?
    Yup, we do. Ninety. Freaking. Days. As a chain, we're subject to the host store's return policies, especially since they're printed on the back of each receipt.

I just don't see this ending well, and I was trying to figure out if there was something else I could have done.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    some people don't want our help, and the more you attept to disuade them, the more they hunker down and insist on "these frames". I have found that there are very few returns, even if you can't get them to fit correctly, because nobody likes to feel the fool. Subsequently, most of the time you couldn't pry those glasses off of them, and they will request their new rx be put in them next time. It's sort of the reverse psychology thing at work, IMHO

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opt2012 View Post
    But, what if they buy the stupid looking glasses and then their friends think "whoa, those glasses look terrible on him!! Don't the people at that office know what they're doing? Remind me not to go there for glasses!" Do you think you would indirectly lose business?
    Depends on what the problem is. Most people wouldn't know a poor fitting frame if it bit them on the butt. All those women out there with sunglasses wayyyy to big for them is a testiment to that. That being said, I think you're most likely to loose more if you turn him away. You loose him AND all the people he badmouths you to.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    I usually tell them jokingly,

"I'll make them for you as long as you promise not to tell anyone we sold them to you"

It works everytime, they always pick something else.

Exactly what I do!

:cheers:

Thread Information