Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation ruined over 16.00

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vacation ruined over 16.00

I started my day with a phone call from this really nasty cheap woman. The family just started their 2 week vacation on Natucket Island and the husband forgot to pack his contacts and he lost his others while swimming in the Atlantic. She asked if i would ship a pair of free trials to hold him over until they got home and he could order some from 1 800 contacts ( you just can't make this stuff up) At this point, I am thinking that the odds of finding his contacts in the ocean are FAR greater than my shipping some freebies.
    I was only somewhat polite when I informed her that if she ordered a 6 month supply I would ship them via Airborn and they would have them tomorrow. I also explained that our prices for a 6 month supply are only 16.00 higher than 1 800 ,but she would only order them if I would match their price. When I stopped laughing, I told her that I could not change the price.
    BTW... His rx is OD -5.50 OS -6.50 and he did not bring his glasses.

She called back 10 minutes later and asked what is the least amount she could buy... when I told her 2 boxes she hung up on me.
    She called again and said she would buy 1 box if I would ship overnight at no extra charge. Thank God that it is unlikely that the husband will need to drive a car on Nantucket. Like I said you cannot make this stuff up.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Great, who wants to deal with her. Honestly, I believe that contacts make people stupider and meaner.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should have told her to call Brad Scott at 1-800-contacts. He should be able to help!

;):cheers::D:cheers:;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Like I don't hear that all day, every day in the summer. I have had docs call me and ask to give HIS patient a free set of trials til they get home(expired Rx). I have told more than one NO!! We call these people tourons, part tourist, part moron.:bbg: Mrmac,I feel for ya. Could not even begin to tell you the stories here.....

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I assumed you burned Uncle Fester's ear off when this happened. :bbg: That's a classic; thanks for sharing it. What a waste of time and energy!
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I told her

Andrew.. I was thinking of telling her that Fester would be happy to bring the lenses to her.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You should have told her to call Brad Scott at 1-800-contacts. He should be able to help!

;):cheers::D:cheers:;)
    LOL. Brad Scott probably hears from a lot of pts at my former office, we sent him faxes all the time denying refills. Is he a real person, anyway? :bbg: My favorite was the woman who needed her CL's RIGHT NOW but was expired, and said she'd just call 1-800 because "how would they know?!?" I explained the process and she just said "oh..."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here was a thread about dear old Brad.

When the night is getting late, and I see the night critters trying to beat me home, I often raise a final glass in his honor!

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ght=BRAD+SCOTT

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 07-08-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: I SUCK...I really SUCK!!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Great, who wants to deal with her. Honestly, I believe that contacts make people stupider and meaner.
    And gets them more dates, my four-eyed friend.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Against the Rule View Post
    And gets them more dates, my four-eyed friend.
    pfft, not always

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're right, those -9.00's are HOT!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And For-Life, if you're afraid to touch your eye, I'm sorry. I know some people are just too darned sensitive to wear contacts and I hope you never have to do anything mildly unpleasant, because I don't want you to be sad.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    pfft, not always
    I know!! I love my glasses. :bbg: I'm one of those people who hates putting in contacts. If I had a strong Rx, maybe I'd change my mind.

Occupation
    And For-Life, if you're afraid to touch your eye, I'm sorry. I know some people are just too darned sensitive to wear contacts and I hope you never have to do anything mildly unpleasant, because I don't want you to be sad.
    I wear contacts

I also wear glasses. I have worn both out in public, to bars and such. Actually, when I was in University, I fitted many of my 20/20 friends with glasses for the bars. Worked for them.

I also am probably dumber and meaner when I wear my contacts

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    MRMAC,

I work on Martha's Vineyard one day weekly. Your story is what walks into the office on a daily basis during the summer months.

My comment is usually "call your doctors office to have things shipped next day air, and better hurry because 2pm is usually the cutoff."

I've taken the "contact lenses" off the phone book ad.

And due to fog conditions, I call it "next day maybe".

Harry

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That sounds like you're a person who needs help.

Occupation
    That sounds like you're a person who needs help.
    You know, do not get upset over my snarky comments. I was just putting in a little bit of light humour in this thread. As seen in this thread, this is an issue Opticians face a lot. The industry has also turned to a way that there are a lot of people out there who do not take proper care of their contacts. So I made a little joke about it.

I wear contacts and I love them. But I also love my glasses. I love how we have moved toward amazing looking frames that truly are a fashion accessory. I get more comments about my glasses than I ever did when I first moved into contacts. Some Opticians are really having a lot of fun right now with these new styles. So maybe chill it a little.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I shouldn't have just said you need help. As an eye care professional, I have a duty to provide it.
    You see, when you wear contacts you don't actually become dumber and meaner--you were an idiot and an unpleasant person to begin with. The contacts just allow you to feel free to express your true self, low-IQ and all.
    My advice is, wear the glasses and continue being dumb and mean. I really don't think anyone will notice the personality change when you switch to contacts.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And really, humor beside the point...If people are saying you look better in glasses, you'd look even better with a bag over your head. "Looking good in glasses" is ridiculous.

Occupation
    And really, humor beside the point...If people are saying you look better in glasses, you'd look even better with a bag over your head. "Looking good in glasses" is ridiculous.
    to each their own

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Me, I give them a trial pair free, no charge, no receipt, no record of ever having seen them. Quite a few of them are so gratefull they drive quite some distance to see me to get thier next Rx filled in both glasses and contacts.

Guess I'm just soft hearted (you know about us Neo-Nazi Rednecks) or maybe hungier than you guys.

Chip
    Close Chip. I prefer the, "I don't have your exact Rx in stock. But these are only a half diopter off (or 30 degrees off axis, etc...)" Then with no receipt or record.

Maybe I'm just a little twisted.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Looking good in glasses" is ridiculous.

Why don't you go sell TV's or something. That may well be the most @$$inine thing I've ever read on Optiboard. Your an Optician if the people you deal with don't look good in glasses its not because they're ugly it is because you suck at your job. I love to hear and do many times "I don't wear my contacts as much because I love the glasses you helped me pick out, and I get so many compliments."

ok and now for a picture to lighten the mood, if you ask me she looks good in glasses
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails babe glasses.jpg  

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uhmmm.. Isn't a majority of our jobs is making sure people not only see well out of their glasses, but looks good in those glasses? Glasses can compliment a face, give it highlight, hide those circles and enhance the appearance. OF course if you give em a Specterra or Military special, it may not be as appealing as say the DA on Law and Order or Robert Downey Jr. .. How would it alter Lewis Black's style if he wore Contacts instead of his trendy frames?
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And correct me if I am wrong.. but isn't it bad to be wearing your contacts in the ocean? What about acanthameoba? Go to Prevent Blindness forums and you can read about the link between swimming in your contacts and losing several months of your life trying to get rid of the infection.. One of the ladies in our local speaker's bureau lost her eye to it..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Why is this person still on this board? I can't recall a single productive post.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Thread Information