Thread: Eye Exam Woes

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eye Exam Woes

I'd be the last person to insist that I know what's best for someone else's body, and I'll admit there are some annual Doctor's appointments that I do NOT look forward to, but what's so bad about an eye exam?

It's gotten me wondering lately in honest curiosity. I mean, of all routine check-ups, it's by far the most noninvasive. Do you think people are afraid of learning there's something wrong with their vision? Or are they just very bothered by 5 minutes of light in their eyes? Or ...what?

(I know some people have financial reasons, and that's not what I'm referring to.)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Do you think people are afraid of learning there's something wrong with their vision? Or are they just very bothered by 5 minutes of light in their eyes? Or ...what?
    I've put it down to the general public's lack of awareness/education related to their eyes and clinical optometry. i.e., what other reasons we're here for.

You get the ones who come in only when they lose or break a pair of specs which they bought or got handed down eight years ago, or wake up with a sub-conjunctaval haemorrage (dramatic looking leak of blood over the scelera), and prior to that, have never knew you existed until someone told them to see an op..opth..optomerrrist doctor person.

The best way you could contribute is to mention to your current patients that during the eye examination, we are not only checking what prescription they need for specs/eyewear - and that there are eye health checks which we are concerned with which they do not have immediate symptoms for, thus a regular eye examination is essential to their well-being, irrespective on whether they need new glasses or not.

Just like contact lens wearers have been proven to be more loyal due to their regular visits (for purchase of solutions and Rx renewals), in my view, there is nothing wrong with letting the customer know there is no obligation to buy something after their regular eye examination. As when they actually want something (their sub-standard vision affects their lifestyle) they will come back to you as you were there all along.

Have you checked when your members of staff have had their eyes tested last? You might be surprised! I was when I asked the question - over five years for one of them.

Straight in the room for her..!

In this case, mother of four, coming up to 40 years of age:

nothing noteworthy or abnormal and 6/6 (20/20), n5 unaided, retinal photography and visual fields all perfect.. but guess who is now our best dispenser ($ and service wise) from her revitalised vigor for recommendations for regular eye exams to shoppers (and their partners and friends with them) and the subsequent eyewear captures!

Hope that word of mouth travels far and fast!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Usually it's a case of "If I can still see, there ain't no problem". Much the same as "If my teeth don't hurt, I don't need no stinkin' dentist". You will have noticed that in this business there are several different types of customers. Those that show up like clockwork every year, those that wait for their insurance to kick in, those that think every 3-4 years is fine, and those that simply wait until something completely breaks down. It is very often the inconvenience of getting it all done that keeps them away. Or it may be that because you are in the business you see things differently. Like my neighbor the dental hygienist who when I told her I get my teeth cleaned once a year, cringed. Apparently it is recommended at least twice. But my teeth look fine to me. See what I mean?;)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    How often do you think an asymptomatic patient with no problems or history should have an eye exam?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    also, it is taking private time or time off work to do it. Not many practices have flexible hours.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

patients

glasses like some other items, with a lot of people are often a GRUDGE buy

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone notice that with us being all so knowledgable in the eye care field and all. Most of the OMD's I know haven't had an eye exam (except for a a self done refraction) since residency. Most Opticians only get an eye exam every 4-7 years. And I suspect the OD's are in there with the OMD's on this.
    How come we tell the public what they should do?

Chip

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy I'm with Memoir

Sometimes as an Optician you wonder about your Docs. Some take little
    interest in hounding staff to get into the exam rooms. I am particularly
    suspicious of their integrity and capability and concern for someone
    like me handling their patients, when I myself have horrible headaches where I literally lose my vision. Why wouldn't they care to ck me out before I get into a car to try and dangerously limp home to hope for the best?

It is insulting that we sit at jobs and really work hard for the OD's and recommend eyewear to fatten their pockets and we really aren't sure if
    they are good doctors because we ourselves don't feel taken care of
    as patients.

Docs we are watching you. Just my rant of the day.

:finger:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    How often do you think an asymptomatic patient with no problems or history should have an eye exam?
    In Australia, optometrists recommend a full comprehensive examination every two years, depending on age, risk factors, and physical condition and could be as regular as 6 to 12 months.

Fortunately, the Australian government realises the importance of eye examinations, and subsidises the standard fee for a range of consultations, so to reduce the risk of losing patients, the majority of practices charge the standard fees directly to the government. So for the patients, the test is indirectly of no charge, and "only costs them 30 minutes of their time".

(However they ultimately pay for it in their taxes!)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was not saying the doctor is to blame. If we don't get eye exam there ain't no one to blame but ourselves. Usually all a practicing optician has to do is ask and they can even get a freebie. But we don't ask. Ophthalmologists don't ask each other (and I know they get freebies), they will usually get thier family examined or do it thierselves. I have even known OMD's that would get injureise like a split lid and put butterflies on it because they didn't think any other OMD as up to thier standard (most think they are the best.) Suspect OD's the same.

I was just remarking that we have all these post about how the public must have an exam everytime they can raise the money for a new one, and we must not refill an old glasses Rx because the patient will instantly die of Mongolian Grungitus but we ourselves feel no compulshion to follow the guidelines we would impose on the public.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    At what age? Basically, with no symptoms, problems, or history should be seen every two years. My wife was asymptomatic, no problems or history, two years between exams and at the last exam she measured 30mm IOP. Now she's on two drops and her pressures are back to normal. How much longer could she have gone? Not long as her add also needed bumping. But if not for that, who knows what damage might have been done?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file Dougfir8's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Eye Exam Woes,cont

Many people can go 10 or 20 years between exams with only minor changes in Rx. Most people don't have eye diseases, so don't feel a need for care.

I think some see the recommendations for annual exams as a sales gimmick. Advertisers have created "needs" for so many unnecessary products, people are skeptical! Look at dentists. The advances in dental health have reduced the "need" for dental work other than cleanings in many cases. Therefore, dentists have come up with many other high-priced services. People are just tired of being told they need things, so have trouble differentiating the good from the bad . Why would they spend $100 or more for what they already perceive as unnecessary? I believe that most Americans (USA, not Canada) do no have vision coverage. If insured at all, most plans cover only injury or disease of the eye.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder what the 1xyear compliance for eye exams looks like compared for compliance with annual obgyn, prostate, mammogram, etc. checks? Maybe I'm taking it for granted that most people do see the dentist, physician, and have cancer screenings on a regular basis. My point is, if you're willing to do all that, what in the world is so bad about an eye exam?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Granted, I'm a relative newbie, but isn't the scary thing about most eye diseases the lack of symptoms until it's too late?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ya know...they do call glaucoma the "sneak thief of eyesight". What pt. comes into an exam room and says "I think my IOP's are a little elevated this year". Hmmm... I THINK NO ONE! What really gets me is most Americans don't skip routine denistry appts. and cleaning for your teeth is recommended every six months. What about people who decline a retinal scan/dialation. You wouldn't got to the dentist or you pcp and decline x-rays would you? Makes me wonder...
    Maddie, CPO :D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Granted, I'm a relative newbie, but isn't the scary thing about most eye diseases the lack of symptoms until it's too late?
    That's kind of why I hate seeing the dentist. I'm scared they're going to tell me I need some kind of major work done or that I have 10 cavities. Plus I've had bad experiences with dentists.

Also when I have bloodwork done. I'm terrified they're going to call me back and say I have some terrible illness.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Memoir View Post
    Have you checked when your members of staff have had their eyes tested last? You might be surprised! I was when I asked the question - over five years for one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Anyone notice that with us being all so knowledgable in the eye care field and all. Most of the OMD's I know haven't had an eye exam (except for a a self done refraction) since residency. Most Opticians only get an eye exam every 4-7 years. And I suspect the OD's are in there with the OMD's on this.
    How come we tell the public what they should do?

Chip
    I've worked in two different OD offices, with two COMPLETELY different experiences with this.

I've actually had 4 eye exams in the past two years. All by different doctors I've worked with. Some were for specific reasons, and looking back it's quite eye-opening. The first one I had, about two years ago was just a standard exam. Full health and Refraction. -0.50 ou! Woo.

About a year later, and I'm now working at an OD's office. I had been having off and on problems with focusing while driving. What's this? Prism? ME? Apparently a decent amount too.. Side-note to this: It was quite amusing when I mentioned my apparent (very) high prism to the fourth OD at our office (right out of Waterloo)... the face she made when she saw how high she had to go on the prism stick... priceless. :D

Fast forward about a few months, I was going to get a new pair of glasses and figured since I havn't had a full refraction, might as well get my most up to date rx. Different OD. No biggie again.

Fourth visit wasn't much further along the road. Was having some issues with my eye-lid. Felt like there was something constantly in it. Another slow day, and I happened to mention it to the OD I was working with at the time... in the office we go. Floppy eyelid syndrome? You MUST be joking. ...you're not? Really? Neat.

This was all at the last office I worked at. I've been at my current office for almost 6 months now... huge difference in the attitude towards not only exams, but to glasses in general. We have staff who wear dollar store cheaters at the front desk, glasses that are 5+ years old, and one woman who has more than a -2.00 cyl and wears NOTHING. I've commented more than once to them, since they all work in the dispensary as well, about their attitude towards glasses... doesn't seem to sink in though. :hammer:

Long story short, you can lean some really interesting things not only about yourself, but also about thee doctors you work with. Having been in the chairs of all the Doc's I worked with, personally made me feel like I had a better understanding of the patients I saw. Now though? I feel like I'm missing a bit of the puzzle when I see patients from Doc #1 vs Doc #4. It's not a necessairy piece, but it was a nice thing to have.

GET YER EYES TESTED! :cheers:

Thread Information