Thread: Fitovers

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Fitovers

Anyone have any insights on fitovers?

We are trying to increase our sales of Polarized suns so patients get the health and safety benefits of those.

Basic choices seem to include 2nd pair, Clips, Drivewear and Fitovers. I have read a lot on the drivewear, and I am wondering about anyone's experience with fit overs.

Besides Cocoons, who is out there what is working for your patients? We are a little bit more boutique like in our setting so it would be even better if they looked great (ok at least pretty good)

Thanks!

John

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Shop set up like a Boutique . . . ??

Don't get them. Patients can buy these type of fit overs from Walgreens and Wally World for 9.99, and even the highest priced ones are ugly. Instead of investing in fit overs, use your resources to increase 2nd pair sales or frames with clip ons. Fit overs scream "Geriatric" and would overall distract from the boutique feel.

That being said if your patient base is in the 60+ range, Bring em on!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always stock six assorted fit-overs. Seniors want them. My patient base is not the over 60 crowd but they do walk in looking for them and buy them on a regular basis. This in no way detracts from second pair sales. These are not at all the same product that you buy in discount stores. They are much nicer. We have a new brand this year and I can't recall the name but they are in the Hilco catalog.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cacoons are a bit more attractive. Seem to sell a little better (I handle both).

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    Fit overs scream "Geriatric" and would overall distract from the boutique feel.
    We are a very well established and thriving "boutique-like" practice in Athens, Georgia situated almost precisely in the middle of "Frat/Sorority Row" (Milledge Avenue). Our age demographics range from 9 months to 99+ years with a heavy emphasis on the thirty-forty-somethings.

We find it important not to shutter out the highest median earning age group (54-64) in the US and as a result have had great success with the Cocoon product line. Our second Rx pair sales capture is excellent as is our third and fourth and sometimes even fifth or sixth so I don't find the argument of second pair detraction to be terribly sound. Admittedly, we are lucky in that we're in a college town where people are more aware of their health needs. It also doesn't hurt to have one of the fastest growing counties in the state if not the country right next to us.

If you've built your practice solely on a narrowly focused, fashion-led model, then fine - it (barely) makes sense. If, however, you've a concern over the health of your patient's eyes you'll find a soft spot for any product that helps achieve that and won't dismiss products just because they "scream 'Geriatric'".

The fact is if someone is looking for a fitover, they aren't necessarily going to be immediately in the market for a second SRx pair and will likely purchase the fitover somewhere else if not in your shop. Why not capture that and make a more satisfied patient?

Additionally, the Cocoons display is an efficient usage of floorspace in that it's only about 20" square and holds up to sixteen pieces. I'm sure there are others that have similar dimensions.

I say maximize your square footage, cater to patients needs and get you some screamin' Geriatrics!!!

Kyle

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    We are a very well established and thriving "boutique-like" practice in Athens, Georgia situated almost precisely in the middle of "Frat/Sorority Row" (Milledge Avenue). Our age demographics range from 9 months to 99+ years with a heavy emphasis on the thirty-forty-somethings.

We find it important not to shutter out the highest median earning age group (54-64) in the US and as a result have had great success with the Cocoon product line. Our second Rx pair sales capture is excellent as is our third and fourth and sometimes even fifth or sixth so I don't find the argument of second pair detraction to be terribly sound. Admittedly, we are lucky in that we're in a college town where people are more aware of their health needs. It also doesn't hurt to have one of the fastest growing counties in the state if not the country right next to us.

If you've built your practice solely on a narrowly focused, fashion-led model, then fine - it (barely) makes sense. If, however, you've a concern over the health of your patient's eyes you'll find a soft spot for any product that helps achieve that and won't dismiss products just because they "scream 'Geriatric'".

The fact is if someone is looking for a fitover, they aren't necessarily going to be immediately in the market for a second SRx pair and will likely purchase the fitover somewhere else if not in your shop. Why not capture that and make a more satisfied patient?

Additionally, the Cocoons display is an efficient usage of floorspace in that it's only about 20" square and holds up to sixteen pieces. I'm sure there are others that have similar dimensions.

I say maximize your square footage, cater to patients needs and get you some screamin' Geriatrics!!!

Kyle
    Well I guess you LOVE your fit overs. :cheers:

Look, this is what I am trying to say:

1) John must be concerned with the look of his shop as he said it was a boutique setting and wants nice looking product and is trying to increase polarized sales

That being said My opinion is that having fit overs doesn't lend itself to a boutique look. I hardly doubt that I am he only one that looks at them and thinks "Geriatric". How many 20 years old do you know wearing these?

2) I doubt not carrying fit overs would "shutter out the highest median earning age group (54-64) in the US." I don't see how you drew that conclusion from my post anyway.

I like to keep a nice selection of larger Rx able Suns that accommodate Pals and Trifocals. Many of the client base at the last shop I worked at were 50+.

3) You cannot be ALL things to Everyone. Boutique to me means carrying different product that not every Wal Mart, Costco, Walgreens, CVS, and even Supermarkets sells.

* To answer your question of "Why not capture the sale" is along the same reasoning that Wal Mart doesn't sell High End product. Sure, many of their customers have the $$ to spend, but they know better than to carry it because sales would be few and far between, and it could potentially alienate their base client el. Think I'm Crazy? Go ask the Marketing department of Wal Mart.

Ok, I'm going off topic a bit, but I am trying to make a point. I think to make it in the Optical world you need to differentiate yourself from all the other optical shops down the road. Pick a niche a stick to it. Don't try to be everything to everyone.

If I was looking for a solution to increase Polarized sales because I was worried about the health of my patients, lets just say Fit Overs would not be a consideration. Unless you are running a Laser Eye center and do Cataracts surgery. THEN it would make sense to carry Fit Overs.

John-Atlanta, if your patients are asking for them, get em. If not find other ways to protect the health of your patients eyes.

Done with the rant.

~CBO

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Suns and fitovers

I have a number of options in the office for suns, including lower cost Columbia suns, then Fashion Rxble such as Coach and Lagerfeld, High end such as Lafont and Sport (costa del mar).

We also just ordered a set of 20 pairs of Takumi magnetic clips by Aspex.

I feel very strongly that EVERYONE should have some sort of polarized lens, especially when driving. Of course, my pilots need tinted only for flying, but hey they still drive to work, so they should have polarized as well.

That is why I am considering the fitovers as an addtional option, but they have to be as good as they can get and not look like post cataract surgery shields!

Has anyone fooled with Z-clips or any other custom clip maker?

John

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have fit-overs as well as E-Clips. I only stock a few of the Fit-Overs. They do not fly out the door, but if a pt. needs one, I have it. It is all about service. Not a money maker.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

OptiBoard Professional Leighlee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post
    Anyone have any insights on fitovers?

We are trying to increase our sales of Polarized suns so patients get the health and safety benefits of those.

Basic choices seem to include 2nd pair, Clips, Drivewear and Fitovers. I have read a lot on the drivewear, and I am wondering about anyone's experience with fit overs.

Besides Cocoons, who is out there what is working for your patients? We are a little bit more boutique like in our setting so it would be even better if they looked great (ok at least pretty good)

Thanks!

John
    Ever hear of Kaenon sunwear? Rx-able sunwear, labeled as, 'luxury sports sunwear'...superior acuity as well, Pricey, especially if you order RX lenses from them. But most people with money to spend will buy once they try them, acuity is that much better over regular sunglasses. www.kaenon.com

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use Jonathan Paul fitovers. Not great fashion, obviously, but with the trend favoring larger sunglasses they aren't bad. They definitely are a step up from the "I've-just-had-cataract-surgery" models I used to get from Hilco.

I also deal with E-Clips. It's a pain to have to send the glasses out to them to have the clips done, but they do a GREAT job and turn them around quickly. Uncle Fester may still be using the Hilco custom-clip system; he makes them in-house and, if you're as good at it as he is, they come out well.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've heard from a reliable source (but haven't confirmed the info myself) that the new Will Smith movie, Hancock, features Smith wearing the fitovers aviator... kewl, huh?
    Last edited by EyeFitWell; 08-05-2008 at 08:45 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We had cocoons in our office and they're so ugly... if a pt. comes in and they NEED the suns, we direct them to the clip-on section. That usually satisfies them.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Clips, cocoons etc..

I completely agree that offering choices is what matters. One satisfied customer can recommend 20 over a year, even if they made a $10 purchase, or just got their glasses fitted, got the screws checked and tightened and a free bottle of lens cleaner to boot.

Especially in this economy, custom clips make a lot of sense. Patients can choose ANY frame they like and choose the best lens for their eyes. (polarized, non-polarized, high contrast, true color etc...) A custom clip that is fit for a progressive or a high index job in a nice frame saves the patient in most cases 75%. As to sending them out, Send the frame while the lenses are being ordered uncut, and just let E clips know about the Rx and PD - they will pre-adjust to the anticipated lens thickness...By the time the uncuts arrive, the clip should be there too.

But, remember, if they want a Fitover, and you don't carry one, you are inviting them to go elsewhere. I carry Raybans for the same reason and I can't tell you how many times people came in, brought a Ray Ban and came back weeks later with a friend to spend some serious money.

Hope this helps.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Custom clips make a lot of sense.

I like what you are saying. :cheers:

Give your patients options

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    I completely agree that offering choices is what matters. One satisfied customer can recommend 20 over a year, even if they made a $10 purchase, or just got their glasses fitted, got the screws checked and tightened and a free bottle of lens cleaner to boot.

Especially in this economy, custom clips make a lot of sense. Patients can choose ANY frame they like and choose the best lens for their eyes. (polarized, non-polarized, high contrast, true color etc...) A custom clip that is fit for a progressive or a high index job in a nice frame saves the patient in most cases 75%. As to sending them out, Send the frame while the lenses are being ordered uncut, and just let E clips know about the Rx and PD - they will pre-adjust to the anticipated lens thickness...By the time the uncuts arrive, the clip should be there too.

But, remember, if they want a Fitover, and you don't carry one, you are inviting them to go elsewhere. I carry Raybans for the same reason and I can't tell you how many times people came in, brought a Ray Ban and came back weeks later with a friend to spend some serious money.

Hope this helps.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Have you looked at Vistana?

Hello all...Wow..quite the debate with a wide range of opinions concerning over prescription sunglasses and the available options. I must say, I am a bit biased towards the Cocoons brand as I've helped to develop it over the past 7 years. No hard feelings for those of you who don't find them particularly attractive. They were designed more with function in mind than fashion. We receive thousands of comments from extremely happy eyeglass wearers every month that can't say enough good things about the quality, comfort and overall experience of wearing Cocoons. Fortunately, I don't think many of them are out to make a fashion statement, they just want great protection, good quality and a product they can trust.

I didn't see any mention of Vistana...this is the answer for those of you looking to provide an OveRx option in your sun program, but don't want something that reminds your patients of post cataract surgery. Vistana's patented frame design eliminates the tell-tale separate side shields and flat blocky look associated with over prescription sunglasses by joining the side lens and front lens in one continuous optically correct wrap. This change in design gives them a much sleeker appearance (and they still fit over comfortably) and is attractive to many that didn't consider OveRx sunglasses as an option previously. Vistana have an MSRP of $49.95.

If you would like to find out more, here is a link to our website http://www.liveeyewear.com/vistana/index.html. I would love to hear what you think.

I strongly agree with Fusion on the need for variety and options, but I also agree that locations need to maintain their differentiation and unique setting/product offering (can't be everything to everyone). I think there is room for both. I also think it is important to note that the average eyewear consumer does not generally know what is available in the market and the more unique options and expert advice you can present them with the more likely they will continue to visit their eyecare professional versus making uninformed decisions and getting inferior quality solutions at the local mass retail chain.

Cheers,

Dave

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we carry cocoons and Vistana, both have done surprisingly well, mostly with the 30-55 group. I was shocked, but they seem to love them so far!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We carry the cocoons and Vistanas and do very well with them. I suggest them to people as a "sunglass" for the car whenever they buy transitions and won't buy a 2nd pair for sunglasses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

"Shocked" is one of our most common responses

Erik,

Congratulations on the success with OveRx! Great to here you are experiencing nice sales with the Vistana and Cocoons. I wasn't surprised when you said you were "shocked" at how well the Cocoons and Vistana are doing. This is probably one of the most common responses from eyecare professionals that have not previously offered an optical quality over prescription sunglass option.

It is amazing how many eyeglass wearers out there don't know about this option. Once you expose them to the concept, they are often instantly hooked. Then they tell their friends and the word spreads like wild fire.

As WOLFMAN states, one of many great successful sales approaches is to present OveRx as an add-on when someone has opted to purchase transitions lenses and needs a good pair of driving glasses to augment the performance of the transition lenses when in the car.

Thanks,

Dave

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i have seen many of the others at optical shops and where i worked previously, and nothing looked or fit as well. in my somewhat limited experience, i didnt have the same type of people looking for and considering fit overs like these.

We always tell them, if they are looking for a fashion piece, these may not be the answer, but if you want the best coverage possible, there arent many other things that can come close. Each person has understood that right off the bat, and many of them comment about how they actually look better on then they had expected.

now i wont say they are flying off the shelf, but for the price it is a great thing to have on hand.

Thread Information