Thread: shamir

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

shamir

Anyone seen the new Shamir ad, seems like Adam has more then glasses on his mind

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In the beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    Anyone seen the new Shamir ad, seems like Adam has more then glasses on his mind
    Haven't seen it but it's obviously working!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Only thing I have seen from Shamir is their exclusive deal with chains in this nation.

I guess the company does not want to do any business with independents.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

help me understand

hi everyone -
    can u guys help me understand the shamir products like the autograph -

my main ? is - are there more then 1 design out there - i read about either auto graph 1 or the new 2 - however - when i check out their web site and also - look at there ads they do not separate these autograph products -

so i guess my confusion is - did they just improve the design - and all old ones - are no longer aval ?
    I was actually told by a buddy of mine - that works at a LC - that they are carrying them - under their AVP name - he also said they have 2 options a short version - 16-18 mm and a long pal design 18 plus --- but i was always under the impression these autogragh's where a free form design - so therefore the software would calculate the designs - and make accordingly - off of 1 blank - ?

now i see this new design - has the variable seg ht' design - and therefore changes based off the frame -
    so how would this fall in line with what he was telling me - about having a short and long channel option - ?

i see know they make options for there office in a free form design - but does this mean - they still offer the non free form - and the new free form in the office - ?

i do use this lens sometimes - however was going to try to offer the autograpgh - since we have a bunch of customers convert to us - from lc - and i would love to be able to offer the same crap - but convert them to us -
    and by being able offer the same product - it makes my job a little easier -

we do use mostly varilux 360 products now - and our pts like them - but would consider looking into the shamir products - if i can figure out there options and differences between the designs - and what is actually being sold under the designs -

thanks guys -
    have a great 4th of july -
    b

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LC sells the Autograph under its own "Advance View Progressive" They started doing this months ago when LC rolled out this "New Proprietary Lens"

The new short corridor that LC sells is the Compact or Compact Ultra. I am 99% sure of this, as I think I saw boxes of Compacts when I was in the lab.

LC does not use the Autograph as a short corridor lens.

~CBO
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 07-04-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Forgot bout the Ultra

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bt5050 about Shamir . . .

My opinion about their lenses.

Genesis: Good all around design. Everyday use. IMO comparable to the Comfort.

Piccolo: I know it is a "Short Corridor" lens, but I sometimes like to use this lens with patients with low adds for their everyday PAL's. Of course for people not on a computer 8hrs a day.

Attitude: Seems to have wider Int channel.

Autograph: I use for people who switch from Panamic or Comfort. Comfort wearers don't seems to really notice a difference IE no "wow" effect. However Panamic wearers seem to notice an improvement.

I wonder what experience people have switching Pts with Essilor lenses into Shamir lenses has been.

~CBO

nnms11

Shamir ad

Absolutely disgusting!! I for one will NOT sell any more of their products. In my opinion, if they need to use any sexual content to sell a product, they do not have my support.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    anyone have a link to see it?

nnms11

Shamir ad

It is in the "Eyecare Business" magazine, June 2008 issue, on page 3 & 4. It is also in 20/20 June 2008 issue on page 5 & 6.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Should we be surprised?

Sex sells. Period. It is used in advertising from everything from the car you buy, the lipstick you use, the perfume you wear and the very clothes off your back.

I respect everyones opinion, but should we really be surprised? Why should we think our industry is immune to selling sex when just about every other industry uses it. Yes, I know their are exceptions, but to make a claim that you won't buy from a company that sells sex seems a little far fetched. If you stopped buying *ALL* products that sold sex, you'd have little buy from.

Just my thoughts.

~CBO

nnms11

Shamir Ad

You have your thoughts and opinions...I have my morals and principals..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My thoughts/opinions and morals are not mutually exclusive.

To get up in arms over one ad is a little much, especially when we cherry pick what we will and will not buy when practically every company we buy products from uses sex to sell their products.

Beyond the morals and opinions, who cares what is in the ad. *What* does the ad have to do with the products? If Shamir offers lenses that benefit your patients, why exclude a whole product line to *your* patient because of one ad.

Your patients don't care about what we think of an ad in a trade magazine.

Don't mean to be combative, just find it comical how one little ad can get people so up in arms.

~CBO

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Shamir

We may be one of the few practices that uses Shamir lenses as our first line progressive, so I have lots of experience with various designs.

I, for one, always felt the Genesis was mediocre at best.

The Creation was a HUGE improvement and is still my goto balanced progressive. Very, very few non-adapts with this lens. Much more precision in the progressive design on the front due to fewer steps in the manufacturing. Piccolo is now using this same technology and is much improved as a result.

The original autograph (1) was a digital back surface progressive with 2 variations, regular and short.

The new Autograph II adds in a variable corridor length and variable inset for unusual convergence with fitting heights claimed as low as 11mm (don't think I will try less than 14 or so). It ALSO comes in several (4?) fixed corridor lengths for various applications, or if you want the lens to get started before they trace the frame.

Confused yet?

It also comes in an Autograph II Attitude which is designed and optimized for large 8 base sunglasses (or other wrap type frames). We have done a couple of those and both looked incredible (minimal temporal edge thickness, despite huge frame and substantial lens inset).

WAIT, There's more!

The Creation, Genesis and Piccolo are coming out in new versions called DLT in the next few months. These are considered "bridge lenses" between the autograph II and the front surface progressive design of the creation. Don't know much about those yet.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    My opinion about their lenses.

Genesis: Good all around design. Everyday use. IMO comparable to the Comfort.

Piccolo: I know it is a "Short Corridor" lens, but I sometimes like to use this lens with patients with low adds for their everyday PAL's. Of course for people not on a computer 8hrs a day.

Attitude: Seems to have wider Int channel.

Autograph: I use for people who switch from Panamic or Comfort. Comfort wearers don't seems to really notice a difference IE no "wow" effect. However Panamic wearers seem to notice an improvement.

I wonder what experience people have switching Pts with Essilor lenses into Shamir lenses has been.

~CBO

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks John!

Thanks for the Info. Last 3 practices I have been at have used Hoya, Zeiss/Sola, and now Shamir.

It can be hard to keep up with so many different lenses. Pretty much using Shamir exclusively, but getting the Doctor to start using Hoya at the new Office that is opening up. My fellow Opticians don't seem enthusiastic about using Hoya, but I cannot wait.

Good to know how Shamir lenses work, so thank you again for the info.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Ad

I wasn't all that crazy about the Adam and Eve ad but it was effective I suppose. I have to say though, the July ad featuring Bill Clinton and Monica, is CLASSIC! One of my favorite ads ever. You have to read the caption. Glad to see Shamir marketing come up with an effective ad campaign.

On another note, I love the new Autograph II yet I think they have made the new Autograph II too confusing. By having a variable and fixed design with the same name it is somewhat confusing to most that I have talked to. Shamir definitely needs to update their website. We will only use the variable design to keep things simple for the staff. So far we have had great success.

My 2 cents:)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I guess some people thought Adam And Eve were fully clothed and never had sex.

Anyone know what work of art they used for that ad? It doesn't look contemporary.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

John nailed it

Hello 'Boarders,

Hope you all had a great 4th! My family and I had a great break, including time on Lake Wedowee, Alabama...anyone familiar? NO cell/computer access the whole time...gorgeous.

John nailed it...Autograph II gives more choices, seg heights, customized configuration, insets, ect...

If anyone here remembers doing ray tracing/vectors in college, they will recall a very painstaking, time-consuming task, which ultimately predicts image formation.

Today's super-computers, coupled with vision software (via ray tracing, predicting how the brain will form an image), allows us to raise the bar in how we design/produce lenses. Having these options in all types of PALs (conventional, short-corridor, occupational, wrap, configured to frame, ect.) is the icing on the cake.

Even if you're hesitant/not quite ready to jump on the freeform wagon, you gotta admit it's cool technology. It will likely be the future, and then we can get back to one of my favorite debates, differences between PAL designs.

: )

Laurie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Autograph II

You will not find any information on the Shamir website, however I posted all the data for the Autograph II's (except the Attitude version) on TheLensGuru.com over the weekend. Look for 'Autograph II Fixed Design or Variable' in the 'Search by Brandname' box.

The Autograph II Fixed Design comes with 4 variable corridor lengths with 11, 13,15 and 18mm MFHs. Lots of material availabilities, corridor lengths and colors.There is also another Variable Design that boasts that the corridor length changes based on the frame used.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    There is also another Variable Design that boasts that the corridor length changes based on the frame used.
    Is that the SOLA HDV? How would you compare those lenses?

J

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post
    Originally Posted by TLG
    There is also another Variable Design that boasts that the corridor length changes based on the frame used.

J
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The Autograph II is available in several flavors;Single Vision, Single Vision Attitude, Attitude, Office and two free form PAL designs - Autograph II Variable Design and Autograph II Fixed Design. Each has a MFH=11.

I don't have much information on the designs themselves and have no personal experience with them. So far I've only seen a Quick Reference Guide showing materials, power ranges etc.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

GT2 is better

Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post

J
    I'm wearing the HDV and the GT2 is way better for int and near

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you referring to the painting by Tiziano Vecelli? The painting is considered a religious work of art. It was painted in 1550. Although I like the artwork, I think the ad doesn't really sell me on it. I use a lot of Shamir product already, but I don't see what the ad is selling. Pointing to temptation that led to the fall of mankind to be counter-intuitive. It would be no different if they used a painting with Pandora opening the box and having a shamir lens as the last thing after hope.

Thread Information