Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: VSP buying who?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am really surprised to see so many hating on VSP. Especially considering the volume of patients they send to the offices.
    Great move for both VSP and Marchon. I'd love to go work for VSP at a time like this. I had a friend that worked in their Customer Service Department, I honestly don't know how they do what they do. They are superb and so easy to deal with. I certainly wouln't have the patience that they have.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper the personal and last contact to the end user ...............

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Do you have a problem with taking a gamble, working your tail off, and selling to the highest bidder? I don't.
    Johns is right................and by the way that is today's trend in business, happens in ever field these days.

Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc
    There are soon to be 4 choices for opticians.

1) Work for Lux.
    2) Work for VSP.
    3) Work for Essilor.
    4) Don't work.
    You still have another choixe than the above ones. Invest a bit of time and find other products , other brands of which there are plenty on the market, change your way of thinking and ignore all the companies you think are taking away your independent future and you life will go on as usual.
    You are the personal and last contact to the end user of the product and can have the largest influence on the patients choice of what he buy;s.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Be the hunter....

I don't care where my company gets their stuff. As long as the vendor demonstrates a commitment to us we will carry their stuff. We're a Pearle franchise with an extremely limited Lux. inventory. Lots of Safilo, Marchon, Silhouette and others. We sell the heck out of Nike and will continue to do so as long as VSP will talk to us. We just implemented Officemate in our newest franchise and plan on new installations in the rest of our offices. The bottom line is what matters most to us, after all eat or be eaten.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleyesonyou View Post
    I am really surprised to see so many hating on VSP. Especially considering the volume of patients they send to the offices.
    Welcome to Optiboard!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Before you get too surprised, realize that not everyone is against VSP. VSP was created by a group of optometrists for the sole purpose of defeating opticians (indy and/or chains) that they felt were threatening their livlihood.

When you see someone that doesn't like VSP, look at what profession they're in and notice that it's ususally not the ODs complaining, although I've fielded soem calls in the past few days from ODs also that feel VSP often oversteps their bounds in "managing" their practices. (I see you're in "other" so I understand why you might be surprised)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No training required...

Quote Originally Posted by specti-wolf View Post
    Bob, don't forget... if properly trained, we can always flip burgers. :p
    Mc job--Opticianry----I knew it- It's all in the wrist!:D

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

ON a side note: Has anyone recieved the mailing from VSP disparaging Luxottica? It's a real laugher! It says something like " Over 40% of Eyemed members get their eyewear from a Luxottica chain store." It just goes to show that VSP is feeling the heat from all sides.

Turn up the heat!!:angry:

I'd be curious about reading this, does anyone have a copy?

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When talking to my marchon reps(who I love and respect), I was told the reason for the purchase was to have the money it needs to continue to keep the lines they have or purchase other ones. It stems from the loss of DKNY and not having the money to fight Lux. This could be the story the have been told to say, but I believe them.

As to VSP, I don't understand why everyone is going on about "we can't get on the panel". It was started for ODs for OD's. Can this purchase change to scoop of everything, maybe maybe not. Me I will accept the change and the extra cash and go on. Vsp will keep their insurance non-profit(as it always has)and, I will continue seeing their patients, upgrade them, sell them multiple pairs, educate them on seeing us for their medical issues and make money....(I know I'm not following the norm, but that's me)

christina

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    First off I am a Luxottica rep! What I say is not what I am told to say because we have been told to say nothing!

VSP is a profit company and has been for the last 5 years. They are trying to go non profit again but I believe just for VSP.

VSP has been bashing Luxottica since about April. When they started to buy Marchon.

I THINK! I THINK that VSP knew they would lose Marchon business to the non VSP O's and then thought they could bash Luxottica so thier Docs would dump Luxottica. Then they would send the Marchon reps in to sell them more frames to make up for the loss to the other O's.

VSP is in the insurance business everything they do is based on selling more plans!

Luxottica is in the frame business everthing they do is based on selling more frames!

Essilor is in the lens business You get my point!

Last if they were going to let Opticians into VSP I THINK they would have announced that the day before they annouced the Marchon deal

I guess my point is I dont think much will change!

OH! and the reason Marchon sold out to VSP was for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ But I would do the same thing!!!! Marchon did 500 million is sales and sold the buz for 700 plus. Sounds like a good deal for Marchon to me!!

Just one mans extremly bias opinion!!!

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    VSP asks Supreme Court to rule on nonprofit status

By Jim Downing - jdowning@sacbee.com

Last Updated 12:08 pm PDT Friday, August 8, 2008
    Print | E-Mail | Comments (1)|
    Rancho Cordova-based VSP Vision Care asked the U.S. Supreme Court today to decide whether the company is a tax-exempt, not-for-profit business.
    VSP, which provides eye-care insurance to one of every six Americans, lost the designation in 2003 after an IRS audit concluded it didn't meet the legal threshold for the exemption, defined as "organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare."
    The company paid its taxes and then sued the government. The U.S. District Court in Sacramento ruled in 2005 against VSP. In January, San Francisco's 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the decision.

The Supreme Court will decide by the end of the year whether to hear the case.
    VSP's legal team is headed by Kenneth Starr, the former Whitewater investigator and current dean of Pepperdine University's law school.
    The case has potentially far-reaching implications because it could further define when a business is "not-for-profit."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    I don't care where my company gets their stuff. As long as the vendor demonstrates a commitment to us we will carry their stuff. We're a Pearle franchise with an extremely limited Lux.
    If you are a franchise, how are you able to be a VSP provider? They took it away from LC but not Pearle?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratcatjen View Post
    I'd be curious about reading this, does anyone have a copy?
    I may still have it since I was tempted to fax it back to them with a note saying "Tell us something we don't know". It was a very lame letter. If I find it I wil PM you. We are now on limited Eyemed plans and our loyal patient's are having a fit about it. They don't want to go to LC. I have been billing out of network and they do pay. The problem is figuring out what they'll pay before the sale. Only the patient's have access to the plan sheets.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optirep View Post
    OH! and the reason Marchon sold out to VSP was for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ But I would do the same thing!!!! Marchon did 500 million is sales and sold the buz for 700 plus. Sounds like a good deal for Marchon to me!!
    Marchon's worth $500M and Oakley is worth $2B???!!

Sounds like a outragously GREAT deal for Oakley.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post

100% agree with you!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    If you are a franchise, how are you able to be a VSP provider? They took it away from LC but not Pearle?
    Maybe because they were "owned" by OD!?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Maybe because they were "owned" by OD!?
    Nope. I worked for a franchise owned by an OD and they were in the process of taking VSP away from us when the OD decided to disengage from the parent chain to keep VSP. Had to jump through hoops and hire an attorney. This was only a few years ago too. The "chain" was also owned in some way by ODs also.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Nope. I worked for a franchise owned by an OD and they were in the process of taking VSP away from us when the OD decided to disengage from the parent chain to keep VSP. Had to jump through hoops and hire an attorney. This was only a few years ago too. The "chain" was also owned in some way by ODs also.

That's what Lenny said. The practice is owned by an OD.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post

Great deal for Oakley,
    Meaning it was a terribly overpriced purchase for Lux.

Thread Information